You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think anyone was going to do better the MON there but I dont feel sorry for him as he is just simply not doing well enough.

Villa should be atleast top 10, I think they have got quite a few very good players and would take a few at lfc, Downing,Young,Albrighton,Makoun and Bent are top players add to that the prem proven players they have got in other positions shows you he is doing a terrible job.

If their owner has any sense he needs to get rid of GH, I hope not though as as long as he is there villa wont be a threat.

what a mess at Villa. He got the job after the temporary charge of trevor mcdonald and they already had a few wins under their belt by then. Results since he took charge are unbelievably bad considering they were top 6 last 3 seasons in a row. o'neill left the squad in the lurch 5 days before season started so he must take lots of blame. As for Houllier he was using injuries as an exuse for a while, rolled over v's us and said that he didnt mind getting tanked once it was against liverpool- some way to endear himself to villa fans.. he then fielded a weak team v's man city in fa cup quarter saying they were not good enough to win v's them even at full strength. he has been questioned by collins and dunne in training and fined them and made a new set of strict rules. dealing with a bunch of interntional players including a number who are in flying form for england. its been an awful tenure for him there. they have 8 matches to stay up including bitters away next and us and arsenal last 2 games. they could easily go down. be some achievement if that happened.....

Edited by lfctid
typo

what a mess at Villa. He got the job after the temporary charge of trevor mcdonald and they already had a few wins under their belt by then. Results since he took charge are unbelievably bad considering they were top 6 last 3 seasons in a row. o'neill left the aquad in the lurch 5 days before season started so he must take lotgs of blame. Asfor Houllier he was using injuries as an exuse for a while, rolled over v us and said that he didnt mind getting tanked once it was against liverpool- some way to endear himself to villa fans.. he then fielded a weak team v man city in fa cup quarter saying they were not good enough to win v them even at full strength. he has been questioned by collins and dunne in training and fined them and made a new set of strict rules. dealing with a bunch of interntional players including a number who are in flying form for england. its been an awful tenure for him there. they have 8 matches to stay up including bitters away next and us and arsenal last 2 games. they could easily go down. be some achievement if that happened.....

That's news to me.

[bONG]

While I do like Houllier, and respect what he did for us, I don't think he's helped himself massively at Villa.

The Liverpool love-in before their horrific capitulation at Anfield was quite touching to see as a Liverpool fan, but if I'd been a Villa fan I'd have gone mental.

Bent was a good signing (if a bit over-priced (mind you, if Carrol's worth 35m....)) and he has some good players like Ashley Young, Downing et al, so it's rather a poor reflection on him being so close to the bottom.

He also has a habit of falling out with players - which in many cases is justified - but seems to have caused rifts at Villa because the players he has fallen out with, he hasn't sold yet, and they're causing trouble.

And his defence - usually a strength - seems all over the place.

Finally, he has alienated the "fickle" Villa fans. That's usually very difficult to turn around.

I do feel a bit sorry for him, he did after all win the treble with us in 2001 and there has to be a few fond memories with any red surely? And with Gary Mac at his side, you kind of want them to succeed a bit.

That said, I'll still laugh if they go down as Villa fans don't deserve any success. They are one of the worst set of fans in the country. Fickle as anything. No class.

What kind of fan goes to the game with a Houllier Out banner after he's had 5 minutes in the job?

They all miss O'Neill now, but they were quick to boo him when he could only get a draw at home - I remember seeing that towards the end of O'Neill's tenure while Rafa was still getting his name sung on the Kop despite our pitiful performances last year and thinking that he must wonder why he ever bothered with that club, then sure enough, off he hopped. Hilarious!

I feel sorry for him.

Its not his fault that O'Neills policy of buying over-rated English shite like Collins and Luke Young is coming back to haunt them. Add to that Richard Dunne who likes a drink and wont obey anything the manager says its a but hard for him to work.

He wont get the sack if they stay up, so if he has a clear out in the summer and buys his own players they'll do well.

It reminds me of the situation he inherited here. One good summer and they'll be back on track.

Collins is Welsh!

• 1 month later...

Birmingham Mail Exclusive: Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier to leave club by 'mutual consent'

• From Mat Kendrick AT VILLA PARK
  • May 31 2011

gerard-houllier-157993492.jpg Gerard Houllier

GERARD Houllier will stand down as Villa boss by mutual consent this week after medical reports revealed it was too risky for him to return to duty.

Houllier and Villa have reluctantly decided the 63-year-old should vacate his position with immediate effect following his recent heart scare.

Chairman Randy Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner took the decision in conjunction with Houllier after listening to doctors’ advice.

It was felt it was not fair for Houllier or the club to risk aggravating the Frenchman’s heart condition with a high-pressure return to the dugout. Houllier’s doctors and Villa’s medical experts examined his test results over the weekend following his latest hospital appointment last Thursday.

All in all Houllier was a great manager for us. He managed to bring trophies back to the club, and came unbelievably close to winning the league. Even taking into account the last couple of seasons at the club, I'll always remember him with fondness.

Moyes will go there. The Villa fans don't deserve Benitez.

Why not? Benitez should be grateful if he gets a job such as Villa right now. I thought when a manager goes to a new club it was his job to prove himself to the fans by winning matches (something he hasn't done for a couple of years now) and not the other way around?