You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

I`ll post a comparison with A.Song tomorrow if you want to, another player I dont really think is all that but he really puts Lucas to shame in almost every aspect of the game.

Yes please, and at the same time could you include De Jong and Obi Mikel in that, I don't believe Utd have a DM. So maybe include spurs DM I think it's Palascious (sorry don't know how to spell it).

Bellamy can provide quality cover for all the front 3 positions that we're currently lacking.

It can be a great signing, but I'd only take him on loan. No sense getting another ageing player on a mega-contract. He can come in, do a job for a season and then we'll get someone younger next summer.

Yes please, and at the same time could you include De Jong and Obi Mikel in that, I don't believe Utd have a DM. So maybe include spurs DM I think it's Palascious (sorry don't know how to spell it).

Palacios lost his place to Sandro at Spurs.

Obi Mikel didn't play as often last season either.

If we sell Lucas and bring in another DM, then it's not like that is it? We'll still have the same number of midfielders.

Well, yeah.

Obviously.

Midfield has been done and dusted though. We are fine there for now and once we qualify for the CL, readdress it.

A LB, CB and a striker/wide player with some pace/creativity is priority. If we're looking to replace a midfielder at this point in the game, we're looking in the wrong direction.

Sometimes I wonder if there are a few posters on here who cant read but just visit the foum because they like the colors.

I can read all right. You don't say alot though, Code. You have quoted some stats regarding Lucas and Poulsen but seemingly haven't the cojones to draw a conclusion from them. Or did I miss that?

Question for you: who'll replace Lucas in the starting line-up if he's sold?

You're like silverlining; a serial whinger with all the problems and no solutions!

Edited by Major Tom

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Sometimes I wonder if there are a few posters on here who cant read but just visit the foum because they like the colors.

Regardless of this argument, that's a brilliant insult. I'll get my lawyers to draw up a licensing agreement, because I'm using that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
No licensing agreement needed, it's as old as the internet that, NV.

Shit, already phoned them. Going to have to pay them for the hour now.

The Lucas / Poulsen comparison is a very mischievous gibe by Code which gives the lie to the trustworthiness of statistics. I don’t believe he overlooked the fact that Poulsen only started league games against Fulham, Wolves, Blackpool, West Ham, Sunderland, Man Utd., Birmingham and West Brom – not exactly the cream of the crop.

In spite of Lucas playing virtually all of our most challenging games his average statistics are only marginally worse than dear old Christian’s. This either means he is incredibly consistent and the quality of the opposition has minimal impact upon his performance or, more likely, that he greatly outperformed Poulsen against our weaker opponents and his average stats were (understandably) brought down by his performance in our most competitive games. God knows what Poulsen’s stats would have been like had he started against Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs?

It is pretty entertaining when Code riles everybody up by dropping some contentious statistic (I’m sure the irate reactions give him a chuckle!). In a perverse kind a way it shows exactly what Moneyball principles are all about – identifying which statistics are worth focusing upon and which should be ignored. It strikes me that Kenny and Commoli have identified specific areas where we are underperforming and bought to remedy our shortcomings.

Adam, Henderson and Downing were amongst the highest performers in the league for “Chance Creation”, which is presumably a better indication of creativeness than “Assists” as it makes allowances for the fact Brett Omerod and Emile Heskey couldn’t hit a donkey’s arse with a banjo. It stands to reason that the more chances you create for competent strikers, the more goals you will score, so we appear to be loading the team with players that can play a killer ball.

Similarly, Adam and Suarez should improve our conversion rate at direct free kicks while Adam, Downing, Henderson, Meireles and Aquilani can all put in quality set pieces. We seem to be buying to maximise our threat in as many situations as possible. It will be very interesting to see how many extra goals we get this year (particularly from set pieces) and what impact it has on our points total. Hopefully they will contribute to less dropped points against the likes of Wigan and Sunderland which should help us improve significantly over the course of the season. Fingers crossed everything goes to plan.

PS Code and everybody else is well aware that Poulsen is about as effective as a middle-aged fan who won a Standard Chartered competition to "Line out with your Idols at Anfield" and half as fast...

I can read all right. You don't say alot though, Code. You have quoted some stats regarding Lucas and Poulsen but seemingly haven't the cojones to draw a conclusion from them. Or did I miss that?

Question for you: who'll replace Lucas in the starting line-up if he's sold?

You're like silverlining; a serial whinger with all the problems and no solutions!

I`ve said I want both Lucas and poulsen sold because in my opinion neither are up to the standard needed.

I`ve also said Lucas is the better player between the two because he has got more pace than Poulsen, but thats about it.

I`d like us to bring in a replacement and I`ve said all summer it should be top priority.

From the current squad I would use Meireles and Adam/Henderson/Gerrard as the two deepest midfielderes in a 4-2-3-1 line up.

Meireles play this role brilliantly for Portugal and he is a better player than Lucas in every way.

ADVANCED TALKS WITH NEWCASTLE

TOS032.jpg

"We come in peace, people of Newcastle.

Give us your left back and we'll be on our way.

Starfleet has given us permission to take what is rightfully ours, you cannot satisfy this man with your savagery and ale.

Hand him to us, General Ashley"