You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Antoine Griezmann

Monster Masch

Talented talented winger. I have watched him a few times now and I have been very impressed. Playing for Real Sociedad on SS4 at the moment.

Only 19. Good technically, skill-full, quick acceleration, and a great dribbler. He's French as well so I'd be surprised if Comolli didn't have an eye on him.

Goal.com linked us with a few months back. Liverpool plan January bid for Real Sociedad starlet Antoine Griezmann

IMO he's a better player than Ashley Young.

110963_news.jpg

He's a real talent, not sure if he's cut out for the premiership yet. He's not exactly the most physical of wingers (Hazard and Di Maria for example can shake through tackles) and could easily do a Gonzales in the prem. Still if we can get him for less than 5m we should go for it as he has a great delivery.

We got Xabi for 10.7m odd. He was a much more established player.

Different times now granted, but I cant see Sociedad holding out for more than 7-8m for him.

I think that could make him cheaper in that when we signed Xabi Sociedad had recently been in the champions league and looked to be building a good foundation for the future however have since been relegated and come back up

Guest PurpleNose
I think that could make him cheaper in that when we signed Xabi Sociedad had recently been in the champions league and looked to be building a good foundation for the future however have since been relegated and come back up

They're more likely to get Champions League football than we are.

I think he's already out of our range.

We got Xabi for 10.7m odd. He was a much more established player.

Different times now granted, but I cant see Sociedad holding out for more than 7-8m for him.

Indeed, in 2004 £10.7m got you Xabi Alonso.

In 2010 £10.7m gets you Raul Meireles.

Not knocking Meireles, but he's not in the same class as Alonso.

Completely different transfers.

Xabi was 22 and had one very good season for Sociedad behind him so was a bit of a calculated gamble

Meireles is a fully established international.

You're right about the gap in quality though as they are both established now and Xabi costs 3 times more

I'd like to see us spending £10 -£15m on 20 - 22 year olds as the up side can be so great. Theirs always a Babel in there though

I think it's far too early to tell. 08/09 was Xabi's best season, by some distance too.

Xabi was 23 when he arrived with his whole future ahead of him.

Meireles was the same age as Xabi when he left.

08/09 was Xabi's best season, that said I think Xabi's first two seasons have been better than anything from Meireles, and Mereiles has had a fine season so far.

Xabi was 23 when he arrived with his whole future ahead of him.

Meireles was the same age as Xabi when he left.

08/09 was Xabi's best season, that said I think Xabi's first two seasons have been better than anything from Meireles, and Mereiles has had a fine season so far.

I know all of this, all I was trying to allude to is that most players take at least a year to get fully used to the premiership. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet by any stretch. Xabi was world class, this job is Meireles' chance to prove that he is. That kind of pressure takes time to adapt to. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you about who had the most class, just saying wait before making such judgements.

Anyway. Shelvey has more class than both of them, just you wait the kid's a modern great. Pirlo, Xabi and Xavi rolled into one. Honest. Suso too...

I know all of this, all I was trying to allude to is that most players take at least a year to get fully used to the premiership. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet by any stretch. Xabi was world class, this job is Meireles' chance to prove that he is. That kind of pressure takes time to adapt to. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you about who had the most class, just saying wait before making such judgements.

Anyway. Shelvey has more class than both of them, just you wait the kid's a modern great. Pirlo, Xabi and Xavi rolled into one. Honest. Suso too...

Not too sure about Shelvey.

Suso is an intriguing player though and though the players you mentioned were in jest, he is a lot like them.

I think he's our brightest talent to be honest.

In 1999 £2.6m got you Sami Hyypia, in 2008 £9m got you Curtis Davies.

Xabi was a great bit of business, like all transfers there are good, bad and decent deals.

• 5 years later...

It gets worse...

Antoine Griezmannthe top scorer at this summer’s European Championships, has revealed the inspiration behind his eye-catching goal celebration.

The France international notched twice in Thursday night’s 2-0 semi-final win over Germany in Marseille, taking his total for the tournament up to six.

Griezmann has celebrated all but his first strike, in the group stage victory over Albania, with a quirky dance and has now explained where the inspiration came from.

"The celebration is a dance from Drake's music video 'Hotline Bling',” the Atletico Madrid forward said.

"I started doing it at Atletico, and then I couldn't do it against Albania because the emotion was too strong, same for the first goal against Ireland, then I remembered it, and just did it."