You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

However well we were playing, it has to be said that we are now mostly a counter-attacking side. We sit relatively deep and hit them on quick breaks.

Our first goal came from a corner, our second from a chip over the top, and our third from a classic counter. Against Tottenham, again we had a corner, and several counter chances.

Our possession stats, even when we win, back this view up. We had 50% today in a 3-0 victory at home. Most of our possession was deep.

It's a very different game from what we're used to and maybe explains why the line between a good performance and a woeful one is so fine- it depends entirely on our deep defending. If we let in goals we usually lose. If we keep the clean sheet we can often win.

Good post. We're becoming Liverpool ala 1999-00, no wonder Hodgson and Houllier are close, they share the same philosophy. People can take the piss out of Rafa for his "controlling the game" phrases as much as they want, but my god it was refreshing to see the midfield involved a bit more when he took over.

At Anfield we should dominate possession in every game, watching our players "keeping shape" makes me want to vomit:telloff: This is not the way to establish yourself as a top team, I think that much has been proved.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post. We're becoming Liverpool ala 1999-00, no wonder Hodgson and Houllier are close, they share the same philosophy. People can take the piss out of Rafa for his "controlling the game" phrases as much as they want, but my god it was refreshing to see the midfield involved a bit more when he took over.

At Anfield we should dominate possession in every game, watching our players "keeping shape" makes me want to vomit:telloff: This is not the way to establish yourself as a top team, I think that much has been proved.

It also explains why under Rafa, the draws were the problem, while under Hodgson, it's losses.

A bad game under Rafa meant methodical, unproductive control of possession with almost no meaningful chance creation. 0-0.

A bad game under Hodgson means failing to soak up the pressure we invite upon ourselves- the opposition score, sometimes several, and we lose.

In the same way, good Hodgson games have been largely characterized by excellent finishing that gave us the early lead. See Chelsea and Villa. While under Rafa, it wasn't uncommon to come back and win despite falling behind- remember 08-09 when we had come from behind victories constantly?

I really dont want to start another pointless Hodgson Rafa debate but for me it's clear which philosophy I prefer.

Thought it was a decent performance tonight, but its worth pointing out that our last 3 home league games have been against Chelsea, West Ham and Villa. on current form you couldn't ask for 3 easier fixtures.

Until Roy realizes that we need a totally different approach away from home, we will never get anywhere, apart from languishing in mid table.

Well done Reds, as comfortable as it gets really especially missing our 3 `talismen`.

Congrats to Pepe on his achievement. I don`t think he`s had a good season so far but he`s a top goalie and a top bloke.

I hate to pick on him again but Dirk Kuyt! fucking hell. Anyway half a season nearly gone and we`re finally in positive goal difference.

The proof is on saturday when we are away to Newcastle.

If this team is that much better we should take a win there but I doubt we will sadly.

Good performance tonight with "key players" missing.

Well done to the team for gelling that well lets hope it lasts till saturday.

Going to be interesting to see how we line up if he is.

Lucas and Meireles have been our best midfield pairing so far.

Stevie up top with Nando would be nice to see.

I for one would welcome a return to 4-2-3-1.

Kuyt is absolutely useless as a winger in a 4-4-2, and this would allow us to put Stevie and Torres in their best positions while keeping Lucas and Meireles in midfield.

I for one would welcome a return to 4-2-3-1.

Kuyt is absolutely useless as a winger in a 4-4-2, and this would allow us to put Stevie and Torres in their best positions while keeping Lucas and Meireles in midfield.

Yeah breaking up Lucas and Meireles would be madness based on the past few performances. Stevie on the right instead of Kuyt would be an option too but up top with Nandos the best way to go.

Enjoyed the game tonight. No threat from Villa at all really - great stuff by our three scorers. Maxi looks so good in possession. Babel looked hungry and deserved his slice of luck, and Ngog this season seems to be mastering the art of controlling the ball. Only awareness and decision making to go.

Kuyt - another laughably inept performance. Jesus wept. He's a dead weight on the team, offering nothing but hindrance.

Lucas and Meireles looked good again. Lucas has definitely improved a lot since last season. I still worry about those two against a strong midfield, but I enjoyed watching them both tonight. Even Konchesky played reasonably well, so credit where credit's due. In fact, Kuyt as usual was the only woodlouse in the cornflakes.

Nice to see Xabi there too. Houllier looked enormous in his buoyancy aid/150 TOG puffer jacket.

Oh look. It's stringvest here to give us his eagerly anticipated verdict on Dirk Kuyt. Keep them coming stringy, it's such refreshing reading. Variety is the spice of life. Be sure to tell us how you think he performs in the remaining games this season.