You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, this is my first post in this forum. Sorry if post is misplaced. Anyway, I have a friend who knows quite a few agents which, basically, knows the in's and out's of english football. Said that we had a 20 mill-offer on Mirko Vucinic turned down a couple of weeks ago.

I know this might look speculative, and I'm not claiming to be 'in the know' or anything in that fashion. Take it for what it is, I'd trust this friend with my life. Might shed some light on our priorities in January.

So, this is my first post in this forum. Sorry if post is misplaced. Anyway, I have a friend who knows quite a few agents which, basically, knows the in's and out's of english football. Said that we had a 20 mill-offer on Mirko Vucinic turned down a couple of weeks ago.

I know this might look speculative, and I'm not claiming to be 'in the know' or anything in that fashion. Take it for what it is, I'd trust this friend with my life. Might shed some light on our priorities in January.

Atleast were making a bid for a large amount of money, shows we might actually have some money

Would you trust him with your wife though? :drool:

Anyway we had one player from Roma who was deemed not 'good' enough for us. :wallbutt:

I was skimming through the forum, and I saw the whole American-as-a-commercial investment thing. It's not a bad idea, but I don't think the effect will be that dramatic. If we were to get an American though, there a handful of pretty decent players. I'd have to disagree with a lot of the negative Dempsey statements, he'd probably play a similar role to Kuyt and I'd fancy him to be a good bit better at it. He can play wide right or as support striker, and he's a good link player.

On the other Americans, Donovan will probably loan off to Everton again because nobody is prying him out of MLS unless they REALLY overpay. I'd definitely take Bradley over Edu, and Bradley's team is at the foot of the table in Germany so there's a good chance he'll be gone either in January or this summer. Holden is a quality player but I doubt he'd be leaving Bolton so soon.

So in short, I'd take Dempsey and Bradley if we can. Donovan and Holden I don't think are possible and Edu probably isn't good enough.

As (I'm guessing) one of the few people on these forums that regularly follow MLS as well, I will say that there is a lot more quality in there than there ever used to be, and every player I just mentioned did play there once upon a time so it's not a league that should really be ignored if you're looking for potentials. There's plenty of good young players in there right now (both Americans and imports) who could definitely become good squad players pretty quickly. Barring when he was off for injury, Holden pretty much came in and immediately started making an impact for Bolton.

Also, I saw it mentioned once but the Red Sox have spent MAJOR money this offseason. Some reckon it's because a lot of fans were worried that they wouldn't invest the amount of money into the team with them now owning Liverpool, but either way, they traded for one superstar (and then paid him handsomely) and then signed one of the biggest free agents on the market. NESV is all about value so I don't know if they're going to wait until the summer but they definitely aren't afraid to spend when they think it's worth it.

Lille winger Eden Hazard says he is ready to shun Real Madrid to flourish at Arsenal | Mail Online

Recently the press have been writing about interest from Liverpool, and it is nice to hear your name being mentioned everywhere, especially with the best teams in the world.

'If I do leave at the end of the season, I don't want to go somewhere where I will be on the bench. I am young, not 20 until next month, and it will be difficult to break through in a team like Real, where Ronaldo and Kaka will be my competitors. But there are teams like Arsenal, where youngsters can grow more easily into the first team and make their mark.

Lille winger Eden Hazard says he is ready to shun Real Madrid to flourish at Arsenal | Mail Online

Recently the press have been writing about interest from Liverpool, and it is nice to hear your name being mentioned everywhere, especially with the best teams in the world.

'If I do leave at the end of the season, I don't want to go somewhere where I will be on the bench. I am young, not 20 until next month, and it will be difficult to break through in a team like Real, where Ronaldo and Kaka will be my competitors. But there are teams like Arsenal, where youngsters can grow more easily into the first team and make their mark.

Once again Wenger needs a sofa but is looking to buy a lamp.

He's on borrowed time at the Emirates. Surely?

in 1 years time...in the meantime Hazard can slowly be schooled in

Where's Arshavin off to?

Hazard has said:

"Liverpool are a great club with a great European tradition. I go to them not Arsenal because I want to win things and I was in short pants the last time Arsenal won a trophy"

Then he cracked up laughing. It was a really good interview.

Where's Arshavin off to?

Hazard has said:

"Liverpool are a great club with a great European tradition. I go to them not Arsenal because I want to win things and I was in short pants the last time Arsenal won a trophy"

Then he cracked up laughing. It was a really good interview.

I can see Liverpool winning something earlier than us with Roy the mesiah

Well Arsenal can train Hazard for a few years and sell him to us. We are bigger and more successful than Arsenal anyway. Plus by that time our manager and finances will be sorted out-with cash available to spend.

Even with Roy in charge we can win something this year. Arsenal with Arsene "don't remember when I won a trophy" Wenger will win the sum total of fuck all as usual.