You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Will Purslow keep his job under the new regime?

myrlas

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what we're saying here is that Purslow, a smart, savvy, switched on individual knows as much about football as the other season ticket holders on here. I think that's bollocks. I think he knows far more than they do.

SmarT, Savvy, switched on?

Alliteration will get your nowhere.

I wasn't aware that transfers and investment talks and bids between clubs are now exclusively conducted using medievil languages.

The fact that he sacked Rafa and appointed Roy whilst selling Benayoun to our 'rivals' to fund it and blabbering on about how much H and G have given us to spend and how we've never had it so good means your talking bollocks.

Heres some more alliteration

Rafa, Roy, relegation.

Forget that shit. In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.

His performance is his performance.

He was brought in to rectify the financial situation. He failed. Broughton and Barcap had to be brought in to bail him out. 0/1

He was asked to temporarily take charge of football matters, keep the ship steady until a sale was made. Next thing we know. Erratic but talented direct report under-performs as does his team. Avuncular, bumbling and success-averse replacement presented. 0/2

Even the uber-incompetent Parry couldn't piss off Benitez enough to get him to leave.

He was asked to find 100m. He brought 100m to the table. 1/1

(If idle rumours are to be believed) He rid the club of Benitez. 2/2

(If idle rumours are to be believed) he spurned Dalglish and plumped for the questionable charms of Hodgson. 2/3

He stood up (at not insubstantial personal risk) and voted against his employers to remove their malign control of the club. 3/4

All in all, he's performed pretty well.

SmarT, Savvy, switched on?

Alliteration will get your nowhere.

I wasn't aware that transfers and investment talks and bids between clubs are now exclusively conducted using medievil languages.

The fact that he sacked Rafa and appointed Roy whilst selling Benayoun to our 'rivals' to fund it and blabbering on about how much H and G have given us to spend and how we've never had it so good means your talking bollocks.

Heres some more alliteration

Rafa, Roy, relegation.

Here's more. Tooth talking tosh.

Or maybe not. I have also met plenty of people who can disguise a half baked hypothesis behind swathes of tired claptrap. I usually don't buy into their analysis either.

And I've met plenty who dismiss, demean and sneer at what they don't understand and can't fit into their overly simplistic, niavely delineated, one-dimensional narrative.

You're up.

Silly, this. Purslow and Dalglish go back a long way. They have been and still are good friends. If you're trying to demonise Purslow you're barking up the wrong tree there.

Another key link in the chain was the late Kevin Dooley * a friend of Dalglish, a solicitor to Liverpool FC, brother-in-law to the club's former manager Roy Evans and connected to some of the city's major criminals including the drug baron Curtis Warren. Dooley was probably the link between two of Stretford's more improbable associates * Dalglish and the London gangster Tommy Adams, who also has ties with Curtis Warren and is part of a family described as "worse than the Krays". Adams is believed to have first pursued Dooley and Mr Dalglish when the Liverpool team ran up a huge bill at a London establishment he controlled after they lost to Manchester United at Wembley in the 1995 FA Cup Final. The court heard last week how Mr Dalglish enlisted Adams to help Mr Stretford in his dealings with Mr McIntosh.

Kenny is a great man and was a great manager and player.

It doesn't mean all his friends are great though.

purslow is a very cunning individual, he was employed to sack rafa by hook or crook by the hicks and gillett as rafa exposed them and their masterplan...

carra has similar qualities to purslow and is another snake and they both are 2 cancers that have destroyed the club and now getting us relegated... i wish rafa should name him and tarnish carra's reputation completely so he knows how it feels to have your legacy destroyed like rafa's... also alan hansen is on the rafa bandwagon as he is buddies with gillett and hicks i have read interviews from 2007 and 2008 where hansen has said he has been on meals with gillett... my banner of carra out will be visable next home match ... its time the club came back to the fans.... right now there is a disease running thru the club... also torres and reina are not on the same wavelenth as the 2 local boys because they are footballers who have some brain cells that gets used for something positive and not for there self interests like gerrard and carra...

Another key link in the chain was the late Kevin Dooley * a friend of Dalglish, a solicitor to Liverpool FC, brother-in-law to the club's former manager Roy Evans and connected to some of the city's major criminals including the drug baron Curtis Warren. Dooley was probably the link between two of Stretford's more improbable associates * Dalglish and the London gangster Tommy Adams, who also has ties with Curtis Warren and is part of a family described as "worse than the Krays". Adams is believed to have first pursued Dooley and Mr Dalglish when the Liverpool team ran up a huge bill at a London establishment he controlled after they lost to Manchester United at Wembley in the 1995 FA Cup Final. The court heard last week how Mr Dalglish enlisted Adams to help Mr Stretford in his dealings with Mr McIntosh.

purslow is a very cunning individual, he was employed to sack rafa by hook or crook by the hicks and gillett as rafa exposed them and their masterplan...

carra has similar qualities to purslow and is another snake and they both are 2 cancers that have destroyed the club and now getting us relegated... i wish rafa should name him and tarnish carra's reputation completely so he knows how it feels to have your legacy destroyed like rafa's... also alan hansen is on the rafa bandwagon as he is buddies with gillett and hicks i have read interviews from 2007 and 2008 where hansen has said he has been on meals with gillett... my banner of carra out will be visable next home match ... its time the club came back to the fans.... right now there is a disease running thru the club... also torres and reina are not on the same wavelenth as the 2 local boys because they are footballers who have some brain cells that gets used for something positive and not for there self interests like gerrard and carra...

I'd ban you both

(If idle rumours are to be believed) he spurned Dalglish and plumped for the questionable charms of Hodgson. 2/3

He stood up (at not insubstantial personal risk) and voted against his employers to remove their malign control of the club. 3/4

That's what I would call a comb-over. Give it up you look ridiculous.

And I've met plenty who dismiss, demean and sneer at what they don't understand and can't fit into their overly simplistic, niavely delineated, one-dimensional narrative.

You're up.

I enjoy a good sneer. I understand only too well. And 'niavely' is spelt 'naively'.

I have to go home now. It's been fun.

No, but Purslow is though.

The brainwrongs of a manmental.

the point I'm trying to make is that he would be far better equipped to contribute to the sort of footballing decisions a CEO would normally get involved in that the average blert on an internet site.

People need to ask themselves what the role of a CEO is, which areas they believe Purslow lacks experience or know-how in, and who these people are they believe are better .

Of course he would - but it doesn't take an intricate knowledge of, well, anything, to see that a man with no background in football shouldn't be put in charge of something as important as player transfers; let alone to the extent that Roy's press conferences would indicate.

We are already, in my opinion, seeing the fallout of this. It was reported by numerous sources that Cole came to us rather than others partly because he wanted to play through the middle, in spite of wanting - provisionally - to stay in London. Lo and behold, we have yet to see him in a wide position. We also signed Meireles, who obviously needs to be getting games week on week. Then we have to fit Gerrard into our midfield (who is wasted out wide) and a defensive midfielder.

The result has been that Meireles is playing central-right, Cole is playing central-left, Gerrard central adv., and Poulsen/Lucas defensively. We have no width. What you have to ask yourself is how the fuck did we end up with such a poorly put together set-up, in which most of the players don't seem to have any idea what they're doing? Did Hodgson ever deploy such a narrow formation at Fulham?

Conversely, in the games we did well in (predominantly pre-season and Europa league qualifiers, funnily enough, deploying our ressies) we used wingers to get at the opposition with pace and got a lot of joy down the flanks through Amoo, Eccelstone et al.

What I'm driving at is that the signings we've made these summer are all imperatively being played but they are nothing like a balanced team, unless you think Hodgson set out to pursue Raul M to play as a right-midfielder and to set up every game without width. It would not surprise me at all if Purslow guaranteed Cole he could play through the middle without thinking Gerrard wouldn't like it (not to mention he was a marquee/media signing, much like Hodgson), and signed Raul again off the back of the acclaim he garnered at the world cup. The only signings which were necessitated and which I would unquestionably attribute to Hodgson were Poulsen and Konchesky - which says fuck all for the quality of his input, to be fair.

This is, in itself, all conjecture -- but does it not strike you as odd that, with how poor we've been, Hodgson hasn't once stuck Cole out on the left, and has always given him license to roam? That Gerrard, instead of Cole, hasn't been stuck out on the wing? That Raul Meireles was bought as a right-midfielder? We're dreadfully unbalanced.

This might all be attributable to Hodgson, and there's no evidence as such to support it, but there were enough times when he said 'ask Christian about transfers' to make me wonder why he had such great influence on our transfer policy when he has no background in football? And the imbalance present in our setup - and the lack of any attempt to rectify it - makes me wonder whether what we're seeing could seriously have been Hodgson's vision.

Take it or leave it, I'm not presenting this at fact. If you want you can disregard all of my speculation above and just take this to be my argument:

Someone with no background in football or sports businesses should not have a significant input on contract parameters or transfer targets. That's about the size of it anyway, and I don't think you need to know a great deal about the intricacies of a position to form that judgement. It's common sense.

Rafa is definitely hinting something but cannot go into too much detail without getting shit. I am actually quite alarmed by what he said.

Did he comment on every issue Valencia had since he left them, from the numerous coach changes, to the need to sell David Villa to service their debt?

No? Well wtf is he commenting on all our issues for then?

As for Purslow, he has no future here now the new owners are in place. They'll want their own board in.

I'll go with that.

The sale is seperate from football matters.

The Resonator's post sums it up well. Purslow's actions have led us to where we are in the league table. He needs to leave with Hodgson, so we can have a fresh start.

He should be sacked for the appointment of Hodgson alone. I'd have no faith in him to get the next managerial appointment right.

As I just mentioned on another thread, he was appointed to the board by RBS...there was no personal risk involved, he was doing exactly as his RBS remit commanded.