You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Frazier

Hermes

I loved watching this fella fight when I was a kid. He just kept going forward attacking his opponent and had the heart of a lion. I've just watched the documentary Thriller In Manila on More 4. It embellished his reputation. He fought Ali in 1975 and beat him up from the 5th round to the 12th, then in the 13th and 14th he was beaten up by Ali because Joe was almost blind. He admitted in the documentary that he was partially sighted in his left eye since a training injury in 1964 but only he and his trainer knew about it. In this fight his right eye had closed up, making him almost blind for the 13th and 14th round.

At the end of the 14th Ali told his men to cut off his gloves as he'd had enough and wanted to concede the fight as he was exhausted. Joes trainer Eddie Futch called the fight to an end, not knowing Ali was about to give up. Ali collapsed as he got off his stool after the fight was ended by Futch. In the interview Joe said he was prepared to risk his life to win the fight.

The word legend is often used in sport, but never more deservingly than when used in the same sentence as the name Joe Frazier.

The documentary can be viewed here:

YouTube - thriller in manila

It is a boss documentary. Caught it first time around when More 4 showed it last year (I think). Ali said some terrible things about him in the build-up to the fight.

Joe's comment about the Los Angeles Olympics was classic. Asked about Ali lighting the Olympic flame "Somebody should have pushed him in it".

Yeah I saw that doc, Frazier living out of his old gym and Ali didn't come off looking the best.

you said it

its actually just been on,

i swear, ive seen this film about 6 times, yet each time im still rooting for Frazier to win, he was a mans man, Ali was just a racist puppet, but a racist puppet with awesome talent

Ali said some bad stuff but said it with what he believed was humour , I don't think that he realised how much he hurt Frazier with his comments until much later. Great fight though, funny how Frazier had 3 good close fights with Ali but Foreman totally wasted him!

He was hanging around with a little dude and his cult that claimed that the white man was the devil. That could certainly be construed as a teeny bit racist.

It's out of context though. IT was in a time when black people were treated like utter shite. He was right to stand up for himself. This is why som have accused Frazir of being an Uncle Tom. I don't think that accusation is fair either though.

He was hanging around with a little dude and his cult that claimed that the white man was the devil. That could certainly be construed as a teeny bit racist.

It's out of context though. IT was in a time when black people were treated like utter shite. He was right to stand up for himself. This is why som have accused Frazir of being an Uncle Tom. I don't think that accusation is fair either though.

Not strictly true, they believe that the white man is inferior, not an original man but a creation by a kind of scientist but no more racist that say, the Jewish religion's beliefs that they are God's chosen people and all other peoples inferior. Would you say all Jew's are therefore racist or just going to point out his religion? It hardly is express racism when it forms part of an organised religious belief because that is what most religions do.

He lived in a very racist society Ali and still does, to call him racist makes very little sense.

• Downvote 1

Fair enough if that's what you think but then all religion is based upon ignorance so I suppose anything's possible in this curly wurly world.

I don't see what it has to do with him being a boxer though, funny how people do that because he is black, it's not like anyone is fast to point out how shite at boxing Roy Chubby Brown is.

Ali is no more racist than Dalai fucking Lama. Yeah, he was sucked into the a militant black Islam for some years, but he has denounced all that years ago. When you think about how blacks were treated in the US when he was growing up in Kentucky, it's pretty forgiveable that he went too far in the other direction for a while.

By the way he also expresses regret over the way he treated Joe Frazier, as Frazier is the only one of his "verbal victims" that haven't forgiven him. He went too far with insulting his intelligence.

If Ali was a coward he would have joined the army and had the same easy number Joe Louis did in WW2. He would have been part of the physical training team and never saw any action.

That dosumentry was made to show Joe Frazier side of the story,the director said so himself. Without each other would be shadow of who they are

Ali is no more racist than Dalai fucking Lama. Yeah, he was sucked into the a militant black Islam for some years, but he has denounced all that years ago. When you think about how blacks were treated in the US when he was growing up in Kentucky, it's pretty forgiveable that he went too far in the other direction for a while.

By the way he also expresses regret over the way he treated Joe Frazier, as Frazier is the only one of his "verbal victims" that haven't forgiven him. He went too far with insulting his intelligence.

Spot on.

Think of the shit Ali went through at home, winning the gold in Rome, yet when he got home he had to sit at the back of the bus,wasnt served food in a diner in his home town.