You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Absolute spacker thread we ain't got a pot to piss in and the one man who could put a spanner in the works with regards to selling our best players is gone to the delight of the thread starter.

Not even gonna rise to your bile on here anymore to be honest. Pathetic childish poster who offers nothing to the forum.

Sell - Mascherano (£25 - £30 million), Riera (£5 - £8 million), Kuyt (£10 - £15 million), Benayoun (£5 million), Lucas (£6 - 10 million).

Funds raised - £45 - £58 million

Release - Spearing, Plessis, El Zhar, Degen, Itandje - if anyone will spend anything on these players it will be a bonus.

Loan - Darby, Ngog.

Buy - Jovanovic (free), J. Cole (free), Figueroa (£8 million?), Santa Cruz (£10 million), Senna (£5 million), Parker (£8 - 10 million).

Spent - £31 million

4-2-3-1:

------------------------------Reina--------------------------------------

----------------------------(Cavalieri)-----------------------------------

Johnson----------Skrtel--------------------Agger----------------Figueroa

(Kelly)-----------(Carragher)--------------(Greek)-----------------(Insua)

------------------Gerrard------------------Senna------------------------

------------------(Shelvey)---------------(Parker)-----------------------

Maxi---------------------------Aquilani----------------------------J. Cole

(Babel)------------------------(Pacheco)---------------------(Jovanovic)

-------------------------------Torres------------------------------------

-----------------------------(Santa Cruz)--------------------------------

4-4-2:

Maxi--------------Gerrard------------------Senna------------------J.Cole

(Babel)-----------(Aquilani)---------------(Parker)------------(Jovanovic)

-------------------Torres-----------------Santa Cruz--------------------

-------------------(Nemeth)---------------(Pacheco)--------------------

Think Babel is worth holding on to see if Roy can make a player out of him.

the one man who could put a spanner in the works with regards to selling our best players is gone.

This isn't accurate. If players want to leave because the club lacks ambition, then no manager could stop that as the ambition would still not be there from board level. It's up to the players whether they sign a deal with another club or not; the club can't sell them against their will.

Sell - Mascherano (£25 - £30 million), Riera (£5 - £8 million), Kuyt (£10 - £15 million), Benayoun (£5 million), Lucas (£6 - 10 million).

Release - Spearing, Plessis, El Zhar, Degen, Itandje - if anyone will spend anything on these players it will be a bonus.

Loan - Darby, Ngog.

Buy - Jovanovic (free), J. Cole (free), Figueroa (£8 million?), Santa Cruz (£10 million), Senna (£5 million), Parker (£8 - 10 million).

Spent - £31 million

4-4-2:

you may be a lovely young boy but that football manager stuff suggests to me you're mad as a box of frogs

i agree with you that scott parker would be a good signing and i would love to see him here. not cos he's any good at footy just that i would love to shout F.A.B Parker in a lady penelope voice at anfield

Loan - Darby, Ngog.

Spent - £31 million

4-2-3-1:

4-4-2:

The only problem there is you don't have enough homegrown players, I don't think you have enough anyway.

We need to replace Mascherano with someone good defensively that can move the ball a bit, and we need PACE on both flanks.

Midfield? Moussa Sissoko, Steven Defour, Sami Khedira, Lassana Diarra, etc.

Raiding Lille for Gervinho and Hazard for about £20m-ish would provide that if they settled. There are other options... Turan, Kuba, SWP, Elia, Trochowski, Marin, etc.

We MUST have another striker with a bit of quality. A journeyman that can fill in would be best, but if we're playing a 4-4-2? We'll need to buy two strikers, and get rid of Aquilani.

Leftback? Must.

Replacement for Carragher? Looks like a must, now.

Dross? Babel, Riera, El Zhar, Kyrgiakos(too old and slow), Plessis.

The leaving? Yossi, Masch, Kuyt.

Question marks? Gerrard, and Torres.

Can't believe people want to put Gerrard back to CM. He isn't a smart footballer and is limited there I think.

I'd like to see us go next season with:

----------------------------Reina--------------------------

Johnson-------------Carra--------Shawcross--------Agger/Cissokho (sp?)

---------------------Cambiasso----Aquilani-----------------

Kuyt-----------------------Gerrard------------------Cazorla

----------------------------Torres-------------------------

Sell one of Agger/Skrtel and buy Shawcross who I think is quality. If Skrtel goes make Agger and Cissokho our left backs. I'd want £15 million + Cambiasso for Masch and use part of that fee to buy Cissokho. I'd use this mythical £12 million + whatever we get for Plessis and Riera to buy Cazorla.

Now I shall leave this make believe world and come back to the reality we're fucked and have no chance of this.

Some knee jerk reactions going on and name dropping of players who have appeared to be half decent in the world cup.

Haven't we been down this path before? The relics of which were Diao and Diouff.

And more poignantly for us; how will we be able to afford the inflated prices of these 'one minute wonders'.

IMO I reckon Parker would be the ideal replacement for Masch as he does drop deep when required, but he also creates chances and links up well with the forwards. He is a player who we know and he also weighs in with a respectable quota of goals. Similarities with Xabi IMO but I am aware that there are will be opposition to that statement!

Some knee jerk reactions going on and name dropping of players who have appeared to be half decent in the world cup.

Haven't we been down this path before? The relics of which were Diao and Diouff.

And more poignantly for us; how will we be able to afford the inflated prices of these 'one minute wonders'.

IMO I reckon Parker would be the ideal replacement for Masch as he does drop deep when required, but he also creates chances and links up well with the forwards. He is a player who we know and he also weighs in with a respectable quota of goals. Similarities with Xabi IMO but I am aware that there are will be opposition to that statement!

Parker isn't fit to lace Xabi's boots, he's not even fit to lace Lucas' boots. Fuck Parker, Lucas is the man.

This isn't accurate. If players want to leave because the club lacks ambition, then no manager could stop that as the ambition would still not be there from board level. It's up to the players whether they sign a deal with another club or not; the club can't sell them against their will.

That's true, but when the club decides to move heaven & earth to sign a manager who the only person qualified to make the decision says is unsuitable, indeed the only man who gives any kind of legitimacy to this sham of a search, then you have to wonder what the motives of the board are.

Because disregarding the opinions of the one man at the club who commands the players respect is hardly the best way of persuading your prize assets to stay.

That's true, but if the club decides to move heaven & earth to sign a manager who the only person qualified to make the decision says is unsuitable, indeed the man who gives any kind of legitimacy to this sham of a search, then you have to wonder what the motives of the board are.

Because disregarding the opinions of the one man at the club who commands the players respect is hardly the best way of persuading your prize assets to stay.

I don't disagree. When it was announced that Kenny would be making the selection I anticipated getting a decent appointment, but him apparently being ignored and sidelined and the board's choice coming in just fills me with dread.

I don't disagree. When it was announced that Kenny would be making the selection I anticipated getting a decent appointment, but him apparently being ignored and sidelined and the board's choice coming in just fills me with dread.

Kenny wanted Pellegrini.

Purslow wanted Hodgson.

I'm just shattered with this decision.

I don't think it's possible to play this game well without knowing how much we can spend, but if we could suspend reality for a moment and assume Mascherano and Benayoun comes to £35M with £12M on top and that the players we want would come here, then I would not be against signing Javi Martinez (versatile midfielder), Carlton Cole (homegrown target man to play with Torres or Babel) and a left-back with the remainder. If Riera goes then we should also look to spend that money on a replacement with a left foot.

Kenny wanted Pellegrini.

Purslow wanted Hodgson.

I'm just shattered with this decision.

I think Purslow was told he wanted Hodgson. I think he's just a lackey, brought in because of his LBO experience with Mid Ocean Partners and his alleged connections to the Hicks family.

Parker isn't fit to lace Xabi's boots, he's not even fit to lace Lucas' boots. Fuck Parker, Lucas is the man.

Surprising conclusion to come to bearing in mind that Lucas has scored only 2 goals in 3 years while Parker has scored numerous goals in an inferior West Ham team!

Lucas has had plenty of opportunity to show that his game is all about making 5-10 metre passes and putting in laughable tackles. In his defence he did play better on the odd occasion that Rafa let him venture forward but Lucas is one of those players that any manager with any ambition will take a close look at.

If as expected we sell Mascherano for 25-30m this summer and get rid of some of the deadwood in the squad as well and Hodgson gets the money off the sales to invest back into the squad even if it totals up to 50m that we have to spend what players and positions do people think we need to strengthen in this summer?

I think we need a left back, maybe a right back, central midfielder, a pacey wide player and a target man and maybe another striker.

I expect Roy to go for Konchesky whether we like it or not, I personally don't think he is as bad as people make him out to be, he isn't the type of player I see regularly making mistakes and responsible for goals conceded, he would just prove to be a solid dependable signing, it isn't as if we need a 20m left back, just somebody who can fit in as part of a back 4 unit and I think he can do that quite easily but if we can sign certain players in key positions who would improve the team and the squad overall at decent cost I would go for: Scott Parker, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Roque Santa Cruz and I would take a punt on Thierry Henry on a free as well.

We should be able to attract those types of players who would improve the team and squad depth overall. What positions do people think we need to strengthen on here and which players at reasonable cost would you be happy for Roy to go for?

John,I've never met you and you come across as a decent lad,

but are you winding us up or are you just genuinely naive?

What grounds do you have for Hodgson getting this £50m kitty, where is the Keane £15m,Alonso £30m,Dossena £4m,Voronin £2m Leto £2m etc etc

Because as far as I'm aware we've spent £40m on Aquilani,Johnson and Kyrgarikos.

Where does your blind optimism come from?

Love this thread. It's like debating whether to go on a holiday to the Caribbean or buy a new sports car the day after you've been sacked and had your life savings stolen from under the mattress.

I understand trying to focus on the footballing side - christ, remember when we used to actually talk about football and not RBS men, Chelsea fans in our boardroom and Chris Bascombe? Them were the days - because we are, to some degree, powerless in other aspects and are, of course football fans. That said, given what we know happened last summer and the events of the past few months, to assume we will have significant money to spend borders on madness.

John,I've never met you and you come across as a decent lad,

but are you winding us up or are you just genuinely naive?

What grounds do you have for Hodgson getting this £50m kitty, where is the Keane £15m,Alonso £30m,Dossena £4m,Voronin £2m Leto £2m etc etc

Because as far as I'm aware we've spent £40m on Aquilani,Johnson and Kyrgarikos.

Where does your blind optimism come from?

don't mean to be pedantic brains, but there's £40m of the £53m in 2 transfers