You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Car Tax - Clamped!

Torvald Utne

I recently bought a car and sent off for a new log book as the previous was lost, dvla lost my application so I had to send it again last week. I've got home tonight and I'm clamped. If I pay for it to be released I still have nowhere to keep it offroad, dvla mentioned contacting my local council, do they have places to store your vehicle?

Will I even be able to get it released as dvla are saying I should get the new log book around the 6th of july.

I recently bought a car and sent off for a new log book as the previous was lost, dvla lost my application so I had to send it again last week. I've got home tonight and I'm clamped. If I pay for it to be released I still have nowhere to keep it offroad, dvla mentioned contacting my local council, do they have places to store your vehicle?

Will I even be able to get it released as dvla are saying I should get the new log book around the 6th of july.

Can you not go to the local DVLA office and get the tax from them? I didn't have a log book, i had to pay £25 as i'd lost mine, but surely with the form from the post office and that, you should be able to go there and pick up some tax?

Can you not go to the local DVLA office and get the tax from them? I didn't have a log book, i had to pay £25 as i'd lost mine, but surely with the form from the post office and that, you should be able to go there and pick up some tax?

The previous owners name is still on there, I have to wait for it to be taken off before I can tax it.

it's £100 if i pay tomorrow plus a 160 deposit if i can't produce a tax disc - which I can't. this is refunded if i produce it within 14 days. Question is though, does this apply if I turn up on the 5th with a disc starting from the 1st of july?

it is a pickle alright

Have you got insurance? If so even with the previous owners name you can tax your car online, it will show up on the National Database that you are.

Also you'll show you have a current MOT all you have to do is pay by credit/debit card. If you weren't to know then fair enough, if you can get your car taxed online, you should still be able to get your car out without paying more than the already pocket damaging £100, there should be no reason why you can't take your receipt with you as proof of tax.

That is all assuming they have sufficient systems to check these things.

The car must not have been taxed for more than a month otherwise you wouldn't have been clamped.

It's a fucker if your not aware of what the rules are.

well it's still at mine, if i pay within 24hours they kindly don't impound it. I wonder what's stopping them from clamping it again in between them taking it off and me getting home tomorrow tonight.

How can you declare it SORN if you don't have the documents either?

if it's clamped does that mean they'll impound it also?

Could they remove the clamp and it goes to a repair garage for a few days, if you know any willing to do this, they may do it on the cheap too?

Have you got insurance? If so even with the previous owners name you can tax your car online, it will show up on the National Database that you are.

Also you'll show you have a current MOT all you have to do is pay by credit/debit card. If you weren't to know then fair enough, if you can get your car taxed online, you should still be able to get your car out without paying more than the already pocket damaging £100, there should be no reason why you can't take your receipt with you as proof of tax.

That is all assuming they have sufficient systems to check these things.

The car must not have been taxed for more than a month otherwise you wouldn't have been clamped.

It's a fucker if your not aware of what the rules are.

Insurance needs to be in the name of the registered keeper, already tried that one. Have been on the phone to DVLA a few times in the last few weeks but there was basically nothing I could do but wait, got a letter today coincidentally to say they will deal with the new log book request on the 1st and I should receive it within 5 days.

A little update....paid £260 to remove the clamp and luckily found a friend of a friend that had an off street parking space empty (and she only wants a bottle of wine!). Now I just have to pray I get the log book back by the 8th as I'll get £160 refunded if I do.

Pretty much drama over.