You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vuvuzelas could still be banned. Here's hoping.

ReddOrDedd

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't bother me when I'm watching the match but I do recognise that it's nigh on impossible to make out the chants and crowd reaction. This whole 'African tradition' thing is bollocks though, it's not, let's not pretend just because the locals like using them.

Think I've only heard one chant make it through the horns, and it was a Mexico one. Can't remember what it is but there's a big shout at one point, which they must be seriously loud at because it clearly made it through the horns at least twice when playing the host nation in the main stadium.

'kinope they do ban them. I've tuned them out beyone the scope of irritation to be fair but it would be better to hear some chanting, singing etc. As for them being 'traditional' to South Africa, how long has a three foot placcie trumpet been a 'traditional' African instrument?

what if a bunch of armchair fans decided they didnt like hearing You'll Never Walk Alone?

Then they could fuck off and support a team which didn't sing it, to be quite frank. But how likely do you think that is? What if alien beings took a dislike to the zuluvulvas and nuked the entire planet? What if the moon were made of cheese? All worthy of consideration.

I'm surprised I haven't been as irritated as I was during the warm up games, I think hearing more of them together makes it a bit less irritating than hearing each individual one stopping and starting.

They are still stupid but you do get a little bit used to them after a while, the same can be said about flies but we still want to kill them.

They take all the atmosphere and emotion out of the crowd, you can't hear anyone cheer, sing, boo or whatever and it's just not as exciting without the emotion from the crowd and the roar when a goal goes in.

So they choose to have a world cup in south Africa and then try and take away the thing that makes it uniquely south African? Would they ban samba dancing in stadiums in brazil?

Next thing you know they'll be trying to ban racist chanting in continental Europe.

Haha, wait, who am I kidding?

The world cup to me is about celebrating all cultures not just the hosts.

If the African fans want to do that in their matches that's great.

When Brazil play I want to see and hear Brazil fans when Mexico play I want to Mariachi bands like wise the England band.

It is killing any atmosphere and does my head in.

Guest Pistonbroke

They had a public viewing big screen event at the stadium across from our house for the German game. Cunts were blowing their fucking Vuzevela bollocks until about 2am.:telloff:

They had a public viewing big screen event at the stadium across from our house for the German game. Cunts were blowing their fucking Vuzevela bollocks until about 2am.:telloff:

Bet you felt like booting something. Oh yeah I forgot. You broke your foot didn't you? I really shouldn't revel in another man's misery but life really has dealt you a blow this past week!

Remembering past world cups l'm sure something similar was around then, showing my age now, maybe Mexico 70 or 86?

Can't remember any complaints then .......before the internet.

Having seen plentiful footage of the 1974 World Cup, there seemed to be a constant drone in the background, at a much higher pitch than these vuvuzelas. Also having seen replays of the Italy-Brazil match from 1982, there again seemed to be a constant din.

People at home watching the telly complaining about fans at the ground. Hmmmm...

Yeah, lazy fuckers can't be bothered to go to every match in South Africa. Disgraceful.

Anyhoo, it's not just the fans complaining, the production companies are and the players too.

BBC Sport - Football - World Cup 2010: South Africa will not ban vuvuzelas

South Africa will not ban vuvuzelas

World Cup organisers say they will not ban vuvuzelas from stadiums in South Africa despite numerous complaints.

The sound of the plastic horn has been likened to the drone of a thousand bees or a herd of stampeding elephants.

Cristiano Ronaldo says the noise affects players' concentration while some fans watching on television claim they cannot hear the match commentary.

But a World Cup spokesman insisted vuvuzelas are "ingrained in the history of South Africa" and will remain.

Rich Mkhondo also said vuvuzelas had worldwide appeal.

"Let us not make this a South Africa instrument alone," he said. "A vuvuzela is now an international instrument. People buy them and stuff them in their suitcase to go home.

"Only a minority are against vuvuzelas. You either love them or hate. We in South Africa love them."

A recent survey found that the sound emitted by a vuvuzela was the equivalent to 127 decibels - louder than a drum's 122 decibels, or a referee's whistle at 121.8 decibels.

Portugal star Ronaldo is the latest World Cup star to voice unease about the trumpet.

"It is difficult for anyone on the pitch to concentrate," said the Real Madrid striker. "A lot of players don't like them, but they are going to have to get used to them."

France captain Patrice Evra blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas for his side's poor showing in their opening group game against Uruguay, which finished goalless.

He said: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am.

"We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."

These so called arm chair fans are the one paying for this whole event with TV money, so saying they should have nothing to say about it is just out of order, i dont give a shit if im not in africa listening to those horns, but i pay allot of money just to see these matches, and so do the other 2 billions.

An interesting... vuvuzela

Dear Europeans, Cristiano Ronaldo and whingy white South Africans,

For the last few days, I hear you have been complaining about the noise of the vuvuzelas at games. As we've been blowing them consistently since Thursday night we haven't been able to hear you whining until now.

Well, quite frankly, I don't give two fucks. This is a South African World Cup. South Africans blow vuvuzelas when they watch football. Therefore, ipso facto vuvuzelas will be blown-o during World Cup matches. Surprisingly, people who regularly attend SA football matches (for example fans and players who have been attending matches for so many years that one without a vuvuzela would be ridiculous) have all their hearing faculties and have managed to play and communicate in this atmosphere.

Do you not think it is quite odd for visitors and non-SA-football fans to go into someone else's environment and tell them what to do?

Because you are going to your first or second game ever in SA, you think you have some kind of right to dictate the atmosphere, as if it doesn't apply to people who have been watching football here for 10+ years? How would you like it if they slipped into your w(h)ine club and told you how to run it?

When I watched football in London, some chap kept calling the referee a cunt... in front of what looked to be a 5/6 year old boy. So trust me, it's not as if football culture is better in other parts of the world. There's loads of shit not to like, and if you want to obsessively hate cultural aspects of our national game, then I suggest you stay at home and watch it on the SABC with the volume off.

We will continue blowing our vuvuzelas for these reasons:

1) The noise of 60 000 of them being blown at once is fucking fantastic.

2) It makes it harder for European teams. This is what we call HOME GROUND ADVANTAGE.

3) It is as much part of Mzansi as the Nelson Mandela is.

4) It annoys British people and Aussies. Two birds, one stone.

They're here to stay. Even if you whingy gits kick them out the stadiums, we will blow them on the outside. While you're having dinner. While you're trying to sleep. In fact, as soon as we can see you getting annoyed we'll blow them again.

Because you came and dictated what we can and can't do.

And you know how well South Africans react to that.

The vuvuzela is here to stay.

Love Simon.

Simon's one eye only: An interesting... vuvuzela