You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benitez: Come Back, We're So Sorry

BexBissel

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we could do a lot, lot worse than Hodgson.

We could also do a lot, lot better.

Because we will win absolutely fuck all with Woy as boss.

I'm coming round to us appointing a wild card Wenger/ Guardiola/ Mourinho (at Porto), Dalglish-esque, young-ish, unknown, untested, what-the-fuck-what-have-got-to-lose type of manager.

Suggestions on a postcard to:

Bunch Of Fucking Cunts

Anfield

I get the feeling there's a host of people on here who wouldn't mind some second rate manager to fill the vacancy just so they can point the finger and say' date=' 'I told you so'

[/quote']

Same here, also a satisfaction if Rafas new team comes to Anfield and twats us, maybe unfair but thats what i suspect

I think what so infuriated those of us who had the temerity to dare to criticise Rafa over the past 12 months in particular has been the endless and often furious accusation that we didn't care about the club and were somehow not proper fans.

Well, now the roles are reversed. Let's hope these people - and we all know who they are - can act in a way that sets an example and shows their support for the club. Early signs are not good, it has to be said.

BIG MISTAKE OF BENITEZ to let go x.alonso without alonso LFC had NO BALANCE in all lines

he is a player that makes better the deffensive line, LFC BEFORE x.alonso lost have one of the best deffensive lines of EUROPE AND PREMIER, without X.Alonso...

i thnik what happend to this team? it is very poor, also the defense that was very solid

THE 2ND MISTAKE BENITEZ MADE, to sign AQUILANI and don't let him PLAY for 6 8 matches to see how it goes...

for what signs aquilani? to leave him in the bench? put leiva with mascherano that are 2 deffensive midfielders?

REALLY STRANGE AND WRONG BENITEZ!

BUT I THINK HE IS A GREAT COACH, and say thanks for all the work that he made in anfield

instead of his wrong and strange decisions laste season, THANKS RAFA!

BUT rafa have a piece of fault to what happened LFC last season

Not just Alonso. . .

At the same time, Sami's contract was given a 1 year extension which he refused. Considering the ongoing injuries at the time to Agger / Skittle, if it was me I'd have offered Sami TWO YRS.

OK he's slower, not quite as sharp, but since he's gone Carra isn't quite what he was. They were more than the sum of their parts, having been playing together for many years. They were a synergy.

We lost Alonso, Sami and the best of carra in one hit, and to top it all off, we spent big on the powder puff (read: Aquilani). this transfer was an abortion from the start and if he was Rafa's man, Rafa had massively bad judgement here, and then proceeds to turn his back on him!!

The sad fact is, that it was Alonso's last season that SHOULD HAVE BEEN OURS, his cherrio present..the Premier League title..but we blew it. We bottled. We choked.

Bring on the next five years.

I'm coming round to us appointing a wild card Wenger/ Guardiola/ Mourinho

Who is a lot, lot better than Hodgson while being a realistic option?

Agree re your wild card though. Youngish manager, new man, new ideas and no baggage..

I'm coming round to us appointing a wild card Wenger/ Guardiola/ Mourinho (at Porto), Dalglish-esque, young-ish, unknown, untested, what-the-fuck-what-have-got-to-lose type of manager.

Suggestions on a postcard to:

Bunch Of Fucking Cunts

Anfield

Guillem Balague Football Website | Liverpool should consider Quique Sanchez Flores

Liverpool should consider Quique Sanchez Flores

So what`s next for Liverpool?

I`ve been receiving a lot of emails from readers on this site asking for my thoughts on who should replace Rafa Benitez at Anfield. I`ve got to be honest, it`s a scenario I didn`t really want to be speculating upon as my opinion that Rafa deserved a lot more credit for his work at Liverpool - and my belief that he should have been allowed to continue in the face of very difficult circumstances at the club - has been well documented throughout. My views have not changed on that matter.

But, if you are asking me for my personal opinion as to who would make a strong candidate to bring stability to the club, then I would have to suggest that Quique Sanchez Flores – the Atletico Madrid coach – ticks far more boxes than many other names out there, in my opinion. At 45 years of age he is a rare combination of youth and energy combined with experience (including at a big club, Valencia, where he oversaw two successive qualifications for the Champions League and took the club to a quarter final), he has experienced management overseas (Benfica), he is incredibly bright, is excellent in dealing with players and in building strong relationships, tactically very astute and – perhaps most importantly – is very good at turning things around, as he has done at Atletico Madrid. He would have no problem working with Liverpool`s back room staff – many of whom are Spanish and, what Anfield needs right now is evolution not revolution on the playing side. He would understand the systems in place while introducing his own ideas that would enable Liverpool to play the typically non-English football style that the fans crave. And he also speaks English.

Sanchez Flores did agree a one-year extension to his contract at Atletico Madrid very recently, but the lure of taking charge at Liverpool would prove too strong to turn down.

You only have to look at the fantastic job he has done in a short space of time at Atletico to see that he has the credentials to solve many of Liverpool`s problems: he took charge at the Vicente Calderon on a short-term basis in October 2009, filling the vacancy created by Abel Resino`s sacking. He inherited a struggling, lethargic, inconsistent club punching well below their weight with the threat of relegation on the horizon and was able to oversee a remarkable reversal in fortune, restoring belief and consistency to the side.

Atletico ended up reaching two cup finals under his guidance: ironically, beating both Liverpool and Fulham (Roy Hodgson another name linked with the Liverpool job) to win the Europa League, Atletico`s first major trophy since 1996.

There are even a few players at Anfield who would love to see Pako Ayestaran return to the club: a candidate for the assistant to Sanchez Flores as someone who has worked with him before (at Benfica), knows the players and the club to help ease Quique into the role? I know that critics will immediately denounce this suggestion purely because Sanchez Flores is another Spaniard; but we should judge the man not the cover of his passport – and since when, in the modern global game, did nationality become a benchmark of credentials?

A couple of other names spring to mind: Gregorio Manzano has just finished an outstanding season with Real Mallorca, guiding them into the Champions League following a season which many, at the outset, predicted relegation. He is vastly experienced and considering what he has just pulled off at a bankrupt club: is there anyone better at working within a limited budget?

Or perhaps, if long term stability and continuity is the goal, then Roy Hodgson could bring his experience and expertise to be combined with a younger, assistant coach who could be groomed as his successor.

Agree re your wild card though. Youngish manager, new man, new ideas and no baggage..

Hungry, determined to make a mark. It sounds perfect.

Although I somehow doubt we could get a Mourinho (when he went to Porto) type, or even a decorated, but inexperienced playing legend, with no Liverpool connections, to work.

It would seem a step to far, and I think it would have to be ....er..........

Xabi Alonso, if he'd stayed at Liverpool and was 35

Guest ian garro

I get the feeling there's a host of people on here who wouldn't mind some second rate manager to fill the vacancy just so they can point the finger and say' date=' 'I told you so'

[/quote']

Ignoring the stuff about Benitez in the rest of this post - and the arguments about whether or not he should have gone, which are now irrelevant and pointless, I find this a bit rich to be honest.

There's been plenty of people on here in the last 18 months who have openly said they wanted the team to be beaten, because of their dislike for the manager, and the hope that a defeat may speed up his departure; they have openly not wanted us to get out of our CL group, they have not wanted us to make the top 4 and they have not wanted us to win the Europa League - for the same reasons. Obviously, that was all done under the guise of being "for the good of the club", but now for the same people to be calling for unity etc etc etc, is all a bit too hypocritical for my blood. You'll excuse me if I'm not now prepared to 'man the barricades' with those same people.

It's not particuarly aimed at you this, but isn't it the same thing you're pointing out - and as such, isn't making those sorts of accusations a bit disingenuous ?

In 30 odd years, I dont think there's ever been a more divisive period at the club.

Past records are all well and good but they aren't the be all and end all mate. A managers character is just as important.

I agree they are not, but are we in any sort of position to be taking the risk that its not in his case? He's a 62 year old wandering, journeyman coach-for-hire basically. A less horny, less successful, speech impeded, English Sven.

His record suggests that if we want a man to help us tread water for a bit, then he can probably manage it. Would you be content with that until the ownership is sorted? Probably not competing for much but not regressing further (as players are sold and replaced with poorer, cheaper ones). If the ownership issue drags on a couple more years.

There are probably a couple of dozen managers who could keep us around about 4th to 8th for a few seasons, maybe a cup run in the Rumbelows/Uefa/outside chance of the FA Cup quarters or semi's.

If we want any more than that in the short term, an extensive past record suggests Roy might not be the man for the job.

If he was 45 - 50 and just starting out, maybe you'd overlook that if you had the confidence it was irrelevant (as with Wenger etc) but he's not, so I am not sure you can.

As far as achievements go, Sven is the standout character. Its just all the baggage that goes with him. Not one of the people who are in the running with him has achieved half as much as him.

yeah six secretary's 3 sweedish models a few lawyers ,tv presenters prity impressive considering the kip of him carnt see hodgson,the little goblin getting that between them :thumbup:

Ignoring the stuff about Benitez in the rest of this post - and the arguments about whether or not he should have gone, which are now irrelevant and pointless, I find this a bit rich to be honest.

There's been plenty of people on here in the last 18 months who have openly said they wanted the team to be beaten, because of their dislike for the manager, and the hope that a defeat may speed up his departure; they have openly not wanted us to get out of our CL group, they have not wanted us to make the top 4 and they have not wanted us to win the Europa League - for the same reasons. Obviously, that was all done under the guise of being "for the good of the club", but now for the same people to be calling for unity etc etc etc, is all a bit too hypocritical for my blood. You'll excuse me if I'm not now prepared to 'man the barricades' with those same people.

It's not particuarly aimed at you this, but isn't it the same thing you're pointing out - and as such, isn't making those sorts of accusations a bit disingenuous ?

In 30 odd years, I dont think there's ever been a more divisive period at the club.

You were quite right to pull me on what you quoted , but whats source for the goose/geese etc.

I'm not saying you haven't seen/read it but I have never seen anyone openly express a will to see us lose games. I disliked Rafa but I never once wanted us to lose to hasten his departure. I went on record as saying I'd take no pleasure if we won the Europa League, but that was because of how we found ourselves in the competition.

I'll go on record now, as I did then and say I wouldn't have been that bothered if we failed to qualify for this seasons EL. Next season is one of, if not the most important in our history and, I think we could do without the distraction of Thursday night football and then playing catch up on Sunday. We need to focus on reclaiming a place in the CL and I hope a good run in one of the two cups. I'm not expecting to win either of them but I'd a least hope this time around we go out fighting.

As for manning the barricades. You or I may not not agree on the removal of Rafa or on his replacement, but as fans I think it essential that we get behind the team every ninety minutes we play, regardless of who the manager is or our views on him.

It was a crass and stupid decision to pay to remove Benitez before new owners were in place, but we are where we are.

If a manager is appointed before the new owners arrive, you can bet your arse they'll be given half a season before the new owners get their man in - whoever comes in will effectively be an interim - the candidates will know it, Kenny and the board know it, and we all know it, so I can't get too exercised about it. I'm still clinging to the hope that Dalglish takes it on short term, but I am aware that this gets less likely by the day.

I am intrigued about the club's rationale for ditching Benitez at this time, but looking forward it's time for calm heads and rational decision making at the head of the club.

I am intrigued about the club's rationale for ditching Benitez at this time, but looking forward it's time for calm heads and rational decision making at the head of the club.

According to "sources at the club":

Benitez had “lost the team’s leaders, but now they’ll stay”

And:

“Benitez went because they lost 19 games last season, but the deterioration of his relationship with players was another major factor.

“In any business, if you have a number of individuals vital to the strength of your business then you do everything you can to keep them.

“If you also have an individual who is under performing and who continually sinks to new depths of machiavellianism, then there is only one outcome.”

[sauce]

Take with a medium dose of salt though.

It was a crass and stupid decision to pay to remove Benitez before new owners were in place, but we are where we are.

If a manager is appointed before the new owners arrive, you can bet your arse they'll be given half a season before the new owners get their man in - whoever comes in will effectively be an interim - the candidates will know it, Kenny and the board know it, and we all know it, so I can't get too exercised about it. I'm still clinging to the hope that Dalglish takes it on short term, but I am aware that this gets less likely by the day.

Very well said although like Moschops i am not as optimistic on the likelihood of a sale unless they drop the price by the the odd 300 million plus.

I'm convinced we already have the man in place but for various reasons the club just are not prepared to release it yet. I'm also convinced Rafa's departure and the new managers arrival are linked to the delay in the season ticket renewals being late. I just get the feeling there's something big about to happen.

Worst case scenario for me is Kenny take the managers job for a period of time. I can live with that.

I'm convinced we already have the man in place but for various reasons the club just are not prepared to release it yet. I'm also convinced Rafa's departure and the new managers arrival are linked to the delay in the season ticket renewals being late. I just get the feeling there's something big about to happen.

Any reason for that feeling?

Probably the first time I've read someone making this kinda comment since Rafa went like.