You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mourinho press conference

Hermes

The very opposite is usually true.

You have to gamble before you dwindle down to nothing. Give yourself a chance to get back to where you want to be. Unfortunately you're not always in complete control of your destiny. Other influences like the owners, or variance, end up being just as, if not more, important.

Which I think possibly may have been your original point.

Yeah but you have to gamble on something that's better than what you have your money in. And as AnnyRoad has pointed out the return on the gamble has to exceed what it costs to get out of what you are already in and by the sounds of it that's 16m+ whatever his crew are making.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Rafa has made mistakes.

I love it when people open with this line.

He hasn't just made 'mistakes' he's made fundamental errors in transfers and tactics which have fucked us over beyond comprehension

The sooner Benitez fucks off the better, i'm being incredibly blunt about this because I have no patience and have completely ran dry of the ability to actually express my opinions, I'm fed up of watching the constant stream of shite and screaming to myself 'Why the fuck aren't people seeing what I am seeing?'

I'm fed up.

Guest PurpleNose
Yeah but you have to gamble on something that's better than what you have your money in. And as AnnyRoad has pointed out the return on the gamble has to exceed what it costs to get out of what you are already in and by the sounds of it that's 16m+ whatever his crew are making.

So essentially the gamble is also determined by whether you are looking short, mid or long term.

The very opposite is usually true.

You have to gamble before you dwindle down to nothing. Give yourself a chance to get back to where you want to be. Unfortunately you're not always in complete control of your destiny. Other influences like the owners, or variance, end up being just as, if not more, important.

Which I think possibly may have been your original point.

As you may be able to tell I am shit at poker.

Me personally if we were going to spend 30 odd mill geting a new man in I would rather go and sign Villa or someone. At least that money spent adds to te value of the squad rather than Rafas retirement fund.

Guest PurpleNose
As you may be able to tell I am shit at poker.

Me personally if we were going to spend 30 odd mill geting a new man in I would rather go and sign Villa or someone. At least that money spent adds to te value of the squad rather than Rafas retirement fund.

I want the owners gone before we make any managerial changes. At the moment we're in damage limitation mode, and I actually think Benitez relishes this sort of challenge. I have more faith in him than a younger, inexperienced manager whilst the Americans are here.

Then I want a 3/4 year plan. With a footballing philosophy. Benitez is highly unlikely to change his view of football, so somebody else will have to come in.

We've lost 15 games this season, and in a lot of them we've haven't even looked liked we're trying to win them.

For me, it doesn't matter. We could win every game 7-0 from now until the end of the season and it wouldn't excuse the tripe we've seen this year.

15 defeats is unacceptable.

In response to the bit you quoted me on, i'd like to add a caveat that if we do finish fourth, i'd still make a change.

Pretty much every season we finish strongly and go into the following one full of expectation, only to then fail. Enough is enough for me.

If we do go on a great run from now until the end of the season, in all honesty it would just make me even more angry to know what should have been etc.

I feel exactly the same. Though there's still a part of me that wants Rafa to have succes at Liverpool, I wouldn't be able to mobilise my usual pre-season optimism even if we played perfect for the rest of the season. We saw last year that it doesn't mean a thing with regards to the next season.

The main question is whether we have to pay Rafa off and then all his staff or whether we can agree a parting of the ways with no cost.

Then, the manager that comes in is going to have to have the respect of the players and convince them that he will ensure we challenge for the title and do well in Europe (whatever competition).

So, which managers would be able to convince Torres, Gerrard, Masc, Johnson, Reina etc... that he's the man?

I think a young unproven, with a big club, manager will struggle unless he is a top footballer and has major links with the club (like Guardiola in Barca). I can't think of anyone like that at the moment.

So it becomes a decision to attract a big name. Mourinho is a name and has a great track record and I am sure he could convince the players to stay and play. Then there are the other usual names we can call off.

Alternatively, if Rafa needs paying off I'd rather give him the £16 million or however much it is and some additional funds to buy players with.

You do have to wonder how well we would have done with our key players fit all season. I'd still like to see this team have that opportunity with the manager that has put it together. Another 5 year plan would make me sick!

I love it when people open with this line.

He hasn't just made 'mistakes' he's made fundamental errors in transfers and tactics which have fucked us over beyond comprehension

The sooner Benitez fucks off the better, i'm being incredibly blunt about this because I have no patience and have completely ran dry of the ability to actually express my opinions, I'm fed up of watching the constant stream of shite and screaming to myself 'Why the fuck aren't people seeing what I am seeing?'

I'm fed up.

Fucking drama queen.

The main question is whether we have to pay Rafa off and then all his staff or whether we can agree a parting of the ways with no cost.

Then, the manager that comes in is going to have to have the respect of the players and convince them that he will ensure we challenge for the title and do well in Europe (whatever competition).

So, which managers would be able to convince Torres, Gerrard, Masc, Johnson, Reina etc... that he's the man?

I think a young unproven, with a big club, manager will struggle unless he is a top footballer and has major links with the club (like Guardiola in Barca). I can't think of anyone like that at the moment.

So it becomes a decision to attract a big name. Mourinho is a name and has a great track record and I am sure he could convince the players to stay and play. Then there are the other usual names we can call off.

Alternatively, if Rafa needs paying off I'd rather give him the £16 million or however much it is and some additional funds to buy players with.

You do have to wonder how well we would have done with our key players fit all season. I'd still like to see this team have that opportunity with the manager that has put it together. Another 5 year plan would make me sick!

We may have to pay compensation to bring a new manager in from a rival club.

We may have to pay compensation to bring a new manager in from a rival club.

Good point - no idea what that might cost but we could be looking at paying out over £20 million to change the manager. That's a lot of a club with no money. Can't see either of the yanks paying for that!

I can't look past Michael Laudrup at the moment, providing the likes of Mourinho and Capello are out of reach.

There is no way of knowing whether it would work, but we would be trying to play good football and the Spanish players would probably love to work for him.

I don't see how it can be that simple though.

We could smash everyone we play from now until the end of the season and finish outside the top4 or we could drop points and struggle at times and get there.

The direction of the side from now to May is, for me, more important than the final position. In terms of judging the side I mean.

Have to disagree with this Ian. The season runs from August to May, not from March to May. Assessing it overall we've been poor and it's been a poor season. You cannot judge a season based on the last 3 months. Rafa only lets the team off the leash in the last three months of a season and our performances improve. In the past it's saved his job, but i hope the people in charge (whoever they are) see through it this time

I'm not going to slag Rafa off, there's no point. I think he divides fans like no other. Some people love him, some don't. I think it should be the end of the road for him as Liverpool manager, regardless of if we finish top four or not. I believe he's taken us as far as he can

Because you look through the eyes of a histrionic 12 year old perhaps.