You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Beni have done the professional thing and dived ?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Should Beni have done the professional thing and dived ?

• Yes - we want 3 points
    • No - fair play to him for staying on his feet.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said it as soon as he stayed up, and I stand by it. I havent seen it on the TV, but from where i was sat, it looked like contact was made, and I said then, and still say now, "should have gone down".

Having said that, I dont think i've seen as incompetent a refereeing display (without actually having any big decisions to make) in a game for a long time, so he porbably would have booked him for diving if he had.

How the fuck we ended up with 6 bookings I'll never know, shocking performance from walton.

I agree with you Ian, but dont be so naive as to think the media would have said it was right. They'd have started calling us cheats again, like after the Ngog thing, when Carsley went to ground in the box and didnt touch the ball, just as gerrard did vs Sheff a few years ago.

Lets face it none of the media called Fabregas a cheat for a clear and deliberate handball the other week.

N'Gog did dive though and it was fucking disgraceful. If he'd stayed on his feet there's a chance he'd have been fouled anyway, such was the bad timing in the challenge by Carsley. But that's hypothetical.

What happened was that N'Gog saw him coming and threw himself to the floor. Benyoun was actually tripped; they're totally different situations so for me the media would have universally agreed that it was a foul.

What happened was that N'Gog saw him coming and threw himself to the floor. Benyoun was actually tripped; they're totally different situations so for me the media would have universally agreed that it was a foul.

Really? I don't see it as all that different. There is both intent and simulation in both cases. It's a matter of degrees though.

N'Gog did dive though and it was fucking disgraceful. If he'd stayed on his feet there's a chance he'd have been fouled anyway, such was the bad timing in the challenge by Carsley. But that's hypothetical.

I thought the N'gog one should have been a penalty but N'Gog just made it look awful by diving the way he did instead of taking the hit before collapsing.

Therefore, if Carlsey made such a bad challenge, impeding Ngogs run, should the ref have not given a peno anyway ? in the same way that Benayoun was touched and should have had it awarded anyway ? Ngog jumped the sliding man and , crucially, didnt appeal, the onus was on Carsley not to be so stupid and go to ground.

If that was cheating then what about Gerrards 'dive' against Sheff Utd a few seasons ago, it was identical yet Gerrard dived and appealed.

I agree with your earlier comment that a pen should be given anyway, but when refs dont a player who pretends to have been hit hard enough to go down is still exaggerating the challenge, if not plain old cheating.

The press slagged off Gerrard for diving, slagged of Ngog and sure as eggs is eggs would have done the same had Beni gone down as Beni didnt get hit hard enough to fall. Also, why not criticism of Fabregas deliberate handball ? It was as plain as the one Henry did, it was going in, Cecs bput his hand above his head and stopped a goalward effort. Never mind if we deserved a point or not, or if it was a pen, he cheated, why no press criticism ?