You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Personal finances - advice needed

Jennings

I am terrible at managing my money. So i started having a look on the MotleyFool and places like that - in order to control it a bit. I am not talking about investments. I just mean living within your means - basically to quote an old joke...making sure there is more money than month left over.

Does anyone recommend any software or websites or even just straight advice that has helped them manage their money better?

Has anyone tried this Free Personal Finance Software, Budget Software, Online Money Management and Budget Planner | Mint.com ?

I am sure the GFers are excellent at managing their money.

err, note pad and pen?

Write down everything you spend in a day, see where you can cut back?

if your putting it onto a computer you still need to write down each thing so you can pop the figures into the system each day.

I've just worked out how skint i'm going to be over the summer. I've started cutting back slowly. Petrol seems to be my biggest ball ache.

I am terrible at managing my money. So i started having a look on the MotleyFool and places like that - in order to control it a bit. I am not talking about investments. I just mean living within your means - basically to quote an old joke...making sure there is more money than month left over.

Does anyone recommend any software or websites or even just straight advice that has helped them manage their money better?

Has anyone tried this Free Personal Finance Software, Budget Software, Online Money Management and Budget Planner | Mint.com ?

I am sure the GFers are excellent at managing their money.

This sort of thing? Check out the budget planner in the free tools section on the right of the page.

If your with O2 (contract or prepay) you can get a O2 money card which is basically a prepay 'debit' card. I use it to put all my expendible money on it and use it the same as a debit card and leave and the funds for you bills etc in your bank. That way you never go over.

O2 Money

Or alternatively, move in with Melons and live off carrot soup and turnip cakes. But the sex is good, I believe.