You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

God these fuckers would just implode with Farage.  The rest of the party is a rag tag collection of BNP deserters , xenophobes, and very stupid people .Yes he's a massive helmet but somehow he manages , at the moment, to deflect all the flack and come across as some kind of honest broker to millions of people.  I have talked to several I have known for years and years and in every other respect are totally sound but think Farage "has a point " and he's doing a good job.  Of course its going to collapse in on him eventually because he doesn't have a point, has no policies and many of his acolytes are just too bizarre to be acceptable to the multi-cultural mainstream . Its a sad reflection on politics and its disconnect with the majority of people that the likes of UKIP can hijack the agenda. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

An open goal, really:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/national/news/11723619.Pub_Landlord_to_take_on_Farage/

Pub Landlord to take on Farage

Comedian Al Murray says he intends to stand for Parliament at the general election in his guise as The Pub Landlord - against UKIP leader Nigel Farage.

The star - whose creation is famed for extolling the joys of all things British - plans to stand in Thanet South, Kent, for his newly-formed Free United Kingdom Party

Explaining his decision to stand, The Pub Landlord said: "It seem to me that the UK is ready for a bloke waving a pint around, offering common sense solutions."

His comment will not be lost on many of those familiar with Mr Farage who is often pictured during impromptu lunchtime photocalls with a drink in his hand in a pub.

Oxford-educated Murray has created an action plan in the guise of his patriotic character, in which he promises: "I pledge that the UK will leave Europe by 2025 and the edge of the Solar System by 2050. Common Market sense.

"In the meantime Greece to be bought and operated by Kent County Council. Couldn't be worse. Someone to do the bins at least."

In a video posted online he explained: "Let it be known that like many of the Parliamentary hopefuls in the forthcoming election, I have no idea where South Thanet is - but did that stop Margaret Thatcher from saving the Falkland Islands? No."

Murray, 46, is standing in a constituency which the Conservative Party won from Labour at the previous election in 2010.

It is already the focus of huge attention due to Mr Farage's decision to stand there as UKIP experiences a surge of support and now has two Parliamentary seats. His party took 5.5% of the votes in the seat five years ago.

A website he has set up for his campaign, carries the slogan: "Other parties offer the moon on a stick. We'll do better than that: a British moon on a British stick."

His decision to stand comes two years after fellow comic Simon Brodkin - known for his character Lee Nelson - handed in nomination papers to stand in a by-election at South Shields, for David Miliband's former seat. He went on to withdraw later the same day.

Other proposals include his pledge on law and order: "Unemployment causes crime: I propose to lock up the unemployed. Common sense."

And on the hot topic of immigration, he says: "Of course the reason they are coming here is because this is the greatest country in the world. The only way to stop them is for a government to change that and make things a whole lot worse. Look no further.

"However, in the meantime, we brick up the Channel Tunnel. With British bricks. Probably have to get some Poles in to do it. Common sense."

In his online address, Murray explains: "The reason I'm standing is because the system is broken, we all know it is. You hear people saying 'you shouldn't vote'. Well you should vote boys and girls, you should vote for me."

He also promises "1p a pint", although "crisps will remain at the current price".

The party's logo features an upturned pound sign, in a clear parody of the UKIP symbol.

Earlier this week the Happy Mondays dancer Bez - whose real name is Mark Berry - launched his own political bid as he confirmed his plans to stand for election for his Reality Party in Salford.

header.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Not that facts or evidence have any place in the shouty tripe that UKIP live by, but here goes...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/immigration-to-britain-has-not-increased-unemployment-or-reduced-wages-study-finds-10075047.html

Immigration to Britain has not increased unemployment or reduced wages, a major new study has concluded.

Researchers at the London School of Economics looked at the levels of immigration to each of Britain’s counties, and compared it to the unemployment rate in the same area across the same period.

They found that there was no connection between how much immigration a county had seen between 2004 and 2012 and the area’s level of unemployment.

immigraph1.png

There was no correlation between the unemployment rate and the level of migration

The study also looked at whether migrants coming to an area had led to a fall in wage levels and found no evidence that this was the case.

Many areas that saw huge increases in immigration had seen wages rise and unemployment fall, while many areas which had seen no immigration had suffered from falling wages and rises in employment.

On average, immigration had a neutral effect on the employment and wage rates – neither increasing nor decreasing them.

immigraph3.png

There was no correlation between wages and the level of migration

The economists also specifically whether lower-skilled workers had seen their wages impacted, and whether migration a rise in young people out of work or training.

These areas were examined because popular perception is that migrant workers compete with the young for low wage jobs.

They said they found “no evidence” that the young or low skilled had been impacted, and called for further researcher in why anti-immigrant perceptions were still prevalent despite the evidence.

immigraph4.png

There was no correlation between low-skilled wages and the level of migration

“On balance, the evidence on the UK labour market suggests that fears about adverse consequences of rising immigration regularly seen in opinion polls have not, on average, materialised,” the study’s authors from the university's Centre for Economic Performance said.

“It is hard to find evidence of much displacement of UK workers or lower wages. Immigrants, especially in recent years, tend to be younger and better educated than the UK-born and less likely to be unemployed.

“Perceptions do not seem to line up with the existing evidence and it is perhaps here that we need to understand more.”

In 2013 a study by researchers at the University College London that recent migrants had made a “substantial” contribution to reducing Britain’s public spending deficit.

immigraph2.png

There was no correlation between the number of youths not in employment, education, or training, and the level of migration

That study’s authors concluded that migrants tend to use fewer public services and be more likely to be in work and paying tax because they were relatively young.

• Upvote 1

I think these studies always tend to focus on raw data rather than common sense. Immigration has a massive impact on things like GP services, schools, and keeps wages lower. Any one who's ever worked on a building site or driven a fork lift truck will tell you that. Migrants also tend to be concentrated in the same places which poses massive challenges.

Immigration is a huge issue, I don't think UKIP being bellends makes that any less true.

• Downvote 1

Immigration has a massive impact on things like GP services, schools, and keeps wages lower. Any one who's ever worked on a building site or driven a fork lift truck will tell you that.

I have done both of those things, as an immigrant, and you are talking shite.

Better to look at raw data than simple prejudice.

• Upvote 1

I have done both of those things, as an immigrant, and you are talking shite.Better to look at raw data than simple prejudice.

I am talking shite am I? Why, because you've done it? I've worked in warehouses with loads of poles and my mates class has lots of Polish and Latvian kids, what do I win?

And why is it prejudice? It's simple economics. One group of people is willing to work for less, so those who aren't have their bargaining power removed, it's pretty simple stuff.

Outsourcing to another country is not employing immigrants.

No shit, are you gonna argue a point then or have you joined the ever increasing ranks of TLW posters who just drops a 'you're talking shire/you're a cunt' hand grenade and then fucks off?

Tell me why, based exclusively on your own personal experience, the access to cheap labour doesn't undermine the very principle of wages being linked to the concept of supply and demand.

Your more likely to be treated in the nhs by an immigrant than be behind one in a queue to be treated.

Sec immigration is not a problem its a diversion by the drawbridge pullers.

There's different forms of migration.

I'm sure Australians wouldn't object to a load of scouse X Ray technicians going over, but might object if you dropped a quarter of a million warehouse operatives on their major cities and let them use publically funded resources.

• Upvote 1

Case in point.

Because you're ignoring all the evidence in favour of your own pre-conceived opinion.

I'm sure you have very strong gut feelings about the matter, but they're just plain wrong, as the data demonstrates.

• Upvote 2

Because you're ignoring all the evidence in favour of your own pre-conceived opinion.

I'm sure you have very strong gut feelings about the matter, but they're just plain wrong, as the data demonstrates.

Data also says crime is going down and wages are going up.

Me and you had a discussion on this years ago I remember, you posted a Guardian report saying something like only one in ten migrants lived in social housing, and I posted a story from the same day from the Daily Mail, for illustrative purposes, which said it was one in four.

Interestingly, both or them were technically accurate, they'd just chosen to focus on the stats that best suited their respective agendas.

Stats are great, I prefer to just walk around with my eyes open.

Modern capitalism loves migration, it's why, ironically, you rarely hear Farage talking about it, he's probably not arsed how it impacts people at the bottom.

Cheap labour allows the system to rig the game in its favour. Despite claiming to live or die by the concept of supply or demand, it won't play by these rules when staff are concerned.

When business owners say they can't get English people to do the job they're advertising, what they mean is they can't get them to do it for that money. Now, traditionally, this would mean he'd have to offer more money, now he doesn't have to. To make this morally acceptable though we have to create the narrative that English people are lazy, and that anyone who has an issue with immigration is a bigot or thick, which is where UKIP's groundswell of working class support has come from.

Virtually all the commentators who talk about immigration as though it's a byword for being nice, sophisticated intelligent and fair minded, have never - and will never - be impacted my mass 'working class' migration.

• Upvote 1