You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All new transfer speculation 09

Megadrive Man

Guest simon
Why do people assume a new CB coming in would be 4th choice.

Personally I`m not convinved by Skrtel at all and Agger is very injury prone, Carra is not exactly getting any younger either.

If we look at how many goals we conceded from set pieces last season maybe a towering CB like Hangeland is exactly what we need instead of Skrtele who is very,very suspect defending crosses in the box.

Fulham conceded only 4 goals from set pieces last season with Hangeland as the fulcrum in their defense.

We on the other hand conceded 10.

Hangeland would be an amazing signing by the way but looks like Arse may get him but id sooner good money got spent on someone like him.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's stupid money considering his goalscoring record and that they signed him on a free transfer. Offer them £4m and Nemeth on loan.

Of course it's stupid money, it's an extremely inflated market, having said that, like i said, i'm not a good judge of transfer fees.

EDIT: His goalscoring record may be modest at best, but his game isn't based on just goalscoring, he's a class-act, and he would score more goals if he was playing at a top team with quality players around him providing chances.

The Mancs have Ferdinand, Vidic and Evans to my knowledge with Brown able to play there. Chelsea have Terry, Carvalho and Alex. These are the two teams we're competing with and neither are exactly flush with Cb options. Three top quality CBs with one player able to deputise or a reserve player should suffice.

We know, from last season, that to win the league we need either more attacking intent from the off or a better quality of wide player. Unfortunately I can't comment on the former as I've not watched us play in pre-season but I can say that we did finish the season strongly and in a manner that, should we start the season with, will see us become champions. I'd suggest that if we're not interested in increasing our attacking options , and I think that is now the case, that we're going to give ourselves a lot to do as the tempo we ended the season with isn't sustainable over the course of a year.

For those of you who still aren't happy with our attacking options, saw this on Skysports website:

"Luca Toni's agent believes the Bayern Munich striker could sign for West Ham United.

Reports have suggested the Hammers could make a swoop for the Italy international, who has fallen down the pecking order at the Allianz Arena.

Bayern recently cooled talk linking Toni with a switch to Upton Park, but rumours of a deal have resurfaced.

Toni's agent, Jose Alberti, told TMW: "I think it will happen. At Bayern (Toni) is not playing and (Hammers boss Gianfranco) Zola is a great friend of his."

It is claimed that a season-long loan agreement could be in the offing as Toni looks to ensure regular first team football ahead of the 2010 World Cup."

Ivanovic and Brown make it 4 good cb's each though, all internationals and all more than capable, we would be chucking in a kid and personally that worries me.

I agree that if we play like we did from Madrid onwards then it may be academic anyway, however as you mention will we sustain it, to be honest we have to and can rest players in the domestic cups and qualify for the knockouts in the cl as quick as possible but that is easier said than done and we have to have some luck.

maybe i am just over cautious but i would definitely fork out 2 or 3 mil for a cb as i cant see us affording any sort of decent wide option but on the other hand i would love to see Kelly make it but would rather play it safe win the title and then blood some kids.

Extremely depressing indeed

We needed quality out wide and it has been the problem every since the 82 point season and it looks like Rafa is going to fail to address the one area of the team that would make us champions with the right player

Lets face it even with the yanks going on 0 net Spend Rafa could have bought Silva

He could have kept Arbeloa and got Poulsen on loan and bought Silva but he has chosen not to.

I fully expect to see many more fustrating draws at anfield next season.

The Mancs have Ferdinand, Vidic and Evans to my knowledge with Brown able to play there. Chelsea have Terry, Carvalho and Alex. These are the two teams we're competing with and neither are exactly flush with Cb options. Three top quality CBs with one player able to deputise or a reserve player should suffice.

The difference is the 4th choices at those teams (Evans, Ivanovic) are full internationals with a minimum of 2-3 years of first team football. Kelly has played 7 games at full back for Huddersfield.

Arbeloa wanted to leave , i doubt Poulsen would be enough and it doesnt seem silva wants to leave. However i agree that if Rafa knew his budget and only buys a cb now then you have to wonder why he spent so much on Johnson, maybe it was forced a bit due to our money being tied up with them and the deal suited?

I can see Dossenna playing in the front of a three at times like he did at Fulham away. I think rafa would rather have a poor fullback in an attacking spot as at least they have some sort of defensive instinct.

We may break the record for fullbacks on the pitch which i think we broke against pompey last year! If he goes insua and johnson at the back, aurelio cm, dossenna and degen as the two on each flank behind the striker! I want some odds for that happening at some stage next year!

Why do people assume a new CB coming in would be 4th choice.

Personally I`m not convinved by Skrtel at all and Agger is very injury prone, Carra is not exactly getting any younger either.

If we look at how many goals we conceded from set pieces last season maybe a towering CB like Hangeland is exactly what we need instead of Skrtele who is very,very suspect defending crosses in the box.

Fulham conceded only 4 goals from set pieces last season with Hangeland as the fulcrum in their defense.

We on the other hand conceded 10.

Very interesting point, it's not something i had thought of until now, but your right. I think Agger is a quality footballer and a good defender, but he is extremely injury prone, and i agree about Skrtel, so if we did buy hangeland he would probably getting regular first team appearances seeming that Agger is likely to pick up injuries and he is a better defender than Skrtel. However the price tag is a problem, i think were desperately in need of another attacker who is likely to cost 10m+, so that doesn't leave enough money for a quality defender like Hangeland, so a short-term back-up like Distin is a more realistic option.

I seriously think we should just bid 20mil or something for Ben Arfa, leave it to stew for a bit, wait for Ben Arfa to get pissed off with his club, then bid around 22-24mil and land him.

Make the money back from a better sponsorship deal, the sales of Doss the Boss and Voronin, and wherever else. (we should have some fucking transfer money anyway, and Hicks should move his fucking arse and get one of his American clubs sold on the cheap, the great big tit end.) If not Ben Arfa someone else around the same price. Another good attacking option should make us feel confident and add extra fear into teams that play us.

We're still too thin/lacking that edge with only N'gog and Vorro up front as backup.

Edited by Red Phoenix

We know, from last season, that to win the league we need either more attacking intent from the off or a better quality of wide player. Unfortunately I can't comment on the former as I've not watched us play in pre-season but I can say that we did finish the season strongly and in a manner that, should we start the season with, will see us become champions. I'd suggest that if we're not interested in increasing our attacking options , and I think that is now the case, that we're going to give ourselves a lot to do as the tempo we ended the season with isn't sustainable over the course of a year.

For those of you who still aren't happy with our attacking options, saw this on Skysports website:

"Luca Toni's agent believes the Bayern Munich striker could sign for West Ham United. Reports have suggested the Hammers could make a swoop for the Italy international, who has fallen down the pecking order at the Allianz Arena.

Bayern recently cooled talk linking Toni with a switch to Upton Park, but rumours of a deal have resurfaced.

Toni's agent, Jose Alberti, told TMW: "I think it will happen. At Bayern (Toni) is not playing and (Hammers boss Gianfranco) Zola is a great friend of his."

It is claimed that a season-long loan agreement could be in the offing as Toni looks to ensure regular first team football ahead of the 2010 World Cup."

Toni would be a good shout, he's 32 and not playing regularly at Bayern, how much do we think he would cost? He'd be good backup for Torres.

I seriously think we should just bid 20mil or something for Ben Arfa, leave it to stew for a bit, wait for Ben Arfa to get pissed off with his club, then bid around 22-24mil and land him.

Make the money back from a better sponsorship deal, the sales of Doss the Boss and Voronin, and wherever else. (we should have some fucking transfer money anyway, and Hicks should move his fucking arse and get one of his American clubs sold on the cheap, the great big tit end.) If not Ben Arfa someone else around the same price. Another good attacking option should make us feel confident and add extra fear into teams that play us.

We're still too thin/lacking that edge with only N'gog and Vorro up front.

You're a very odd individual.

Ivanovic and Brown make it 4 good cb's each though, all internationals and all more than capable, we would be chucking in a kid and personally that worries me.

I agree that if we play like we did from Madrid onwards then it may be academic anyway, however as you mention will we sustain it, to be honest we have to and can rest players in the domestic cups and qualify for the knockouts in the cl as quick as possible but that is easier said than done and we have to have some luck.

maybe i am just over cautious but i would definitely fork out 2 or 3 mil for a cb as i cant see us affording any sort of decent wide option but on the other hand i would love to see Kelly make it but would rather play it safe win the title and then blood some kids.

If we're talking about 2-3m then I'd have no problem with that,, although I'd want to know what top or even good Cb was available for that? It's more the 6-8m that it would take to buy Turner that worries me or someone else of that ill when I think there is a more pressing concern in the team.

It seems like we've not spent any money yet this summer, and we still have a lot of expendable players, so I strongly think we should go and get an attacking player of decent quality. Antonio Cassano would be absolutely ideal for me. His club are open to offers and he has a 20m Euro buy out clause, we'd probably get him for less. Failing that J.Cole is in the last year of his contract and is a quality player as is , despite his clear cuntishness, Robben.

I'd fancy us to win both the league and European cup if we signed any of the above players.

I agree Ben Arfa could be great for us and would be worth the risk despite his disciplinary problems, however, i'd be surprised if he costed more than 20 million...

You're a very odd individual.

I just want to see that extra edge upfront, preferably with someone like Silva/Ben Arfa, who can play on either the wings or as a striker. They should take the risk and spend cash, then claw it back in the near future. But not on fucking filler/mid priced players, on one more class attacking player.

And if Patches and Nemeth don't get some chances instead of N'gog this season I'll be gutted for the both of them.

The most important area of the team that needed sorting was right back and we paid the money to sort it.

Totally disagree with you we didnt lose the title last season because of our right back we lost it because we didnt have the Skill and Magic to break down packed defences especially at Anfield and it was a problem the season before that as well.

Your entitled to you opinion but IMO Its wrong and doesnt look at what actually happened last season.

Rafa has made his choice and for me it looks like he is fucking up for the third and final pre-season on the trot.

If we're talking about 2-3m then I'd have no problem with that,, although I'd want to know what top or even good Cb was available for that? It's more the 6-8m that it would take to buy Turner that worries me or someone else of that ill when I think there is a more pressing concern in the team.

It seems like we've not spent any money yet this summer, and we still have a lot of expendable players, so I strongly think we should go and get an attacking player of decent quality. Antonio Cassano would be absolutely ideal for me. His club are open to offers and he has a 20m Euro buy out clause, we'd probably get him for less. Failing that J.Cole is in the last year of his contract and is a quality player as is , despite his clear cuntishness, Robben.

I'd fancy us to win both the league and European cup if we signed any of the above players.

I think Distin is the best bet if there is some faint hope we can get an attacker, i like the players you mention and with the squad as it is plus one more goalscoring attacker, i agree we could get the double.

I wouldn't spend much on a cb and wouldnt get someone young who is going to want to play every game as i still hope kelly will get the domestic cups.

Totally disagree with you we didnt lose the title last season because of our right back we lost it because we didnt have the Skill and Magic to break down packed defences especially at Anfield and it was a problem the season before that as well.

Your entitled to you opinion but IMO Its wrong and doesnt look at what actually happened last season.

Rafa has made his choice and for me it looks like he is fucking up for the third and final pre-season on the trot.

Comon Nick, Rafa fucking up? He just made Madrid pay top dollar for one of our finest midfielders and signed a top quality attacking albeit injury prone player days later.

We still are on the lookout for a striker but to state that he is fucking is along ways away.