You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boston Or Chicago?

Scott_M

Mr Gualtier Snr has lovingly offered to pay for the two of us to go on holiday for just under a week in January next year to America somewhere.

He suggested Vegas & Boston. Although he's been to Boston, he is really keen to go back. I've suggested Chicago.

We've both been to New York so that isn't on the cards.

I've basically bombed out Vegas as I don't want to go there with my Dad, I made that mistake before when we went to Amsterdam.

I've basically therefore narrowed it down to Chicago or Boston.

Has anybody been to either or both and can recommend which would be better for a short break?

Alternatively, if anybody has any further suggestions for East Coast break, I am open to suggestions.

Many thanks

Guest Dog Chaser

Chicago is a great city, well worth a visit. I would avoid Detroit at all costs!. Never been to Boston but apparently it is a good city. Would also consider Washington DC, Philadelphia and Niagara falls on the east coast.

Been to both and loved them both, but if you want the best atmosphere, my personal favourite was Boston. Loads of places to see and a great night life (although there's also plenty of live music in Chicago). Like Dog Chaser said, though, avoid Detroit at all costs!

I've been to both mate and they are both ace in their own way and very different. I'd say that Boston is the nicer City, it's more sedate and picturesque, whereas Chicago has a more rugged, industrial North feel about it. Chicago will be a lot colder in the coming months. Boston is a bigger version of Cambridge.

both are nice cities, but they both will be freezing and covered in snow in january - as would washington, philadelphia, detroit....

why not go someplace warmer like san francisco ? think more south and/or west.

San Fran is freezing...visited my cousin in August and I had to wear a big jacket...

Some place warmer would be LA

San Fran is freezing...visited my cousin in August and I had to wear a big jacket...

Some place warmer would be LA

but unlike boston, chicago or san francisco, LA is a cultural wasteland.

you're right about the weather though - san francisco is my ultimate mild weather destination of choice...

[YOUTUBE]-pyC7WnvLT4[/YOUTUBE]

Mark Twain once said "The coldest winter I ever spent, was the summer I spent in San Francisco"

And to answer the OP's question, Chicago is great, but Boston is better. There's more to do and see, and it's just a nicer city. I imagine it will be easier in winter too.