You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

I have never rated downing but his performance at anfield has made me think he could be decent for us. I think other people have been swayed by his performances this last season because he seems to have gone up a level and his delivery on crosses is generally pretty decent.

I'm not saying he's the greatest signing ever but he would add something to the first eleven. We've got a general lack of direct runners with the ball, i don't think we commit people in possession and i think he would improve on that.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You keep posting the same boring shit on every fucking thread though Rash. That one about Pongolle being a prime example. Was there any need? We all know you don't like Rafa, you don't have to remind us every 10 seconds. You know it causes a shit storm, so why bother? Those contstant digs at the manager get very boring very quickly. Of course Rafa can be criticised, but that's not what you do, you just snipe at him all fucking day on every fucking thread and it's majorly fucking annoying.

You keep posting the same boring shit on every fucking thread though Rash. That one about Pongolle being a prime example. Was there any need? We all know you don't like Rafa, you don't have to remind us every 10 seconds. You know it causes a shit storm, so why bother? Those contstant digs at the manager get very boring very quickly. Of course Rafa can be criticised, but that's not what you do, you just snipe at him all fucking day on every fucking thread and it's majorly fucking annoying.

Respec.

For the record, I wouldn't be opposed to signing Downing. Would be a good outlet down the left - especially in the league.

Whats wrong with Downing again? Scored a good amount of goals, and was really impressive the last season. Scored more than Charisma anyway.

I think he would certainly do a job for us and would be a significant improvment on Babel, but if Sivla is avilable for 4 or 5 million more it would be madness not to go for him.

I think what people need to remember when we are being linked to players like Downing rather than silva or quaresma is that there is about a 10m price difference between them. Downing did well for boro last season and the chance to play with better players in a better team could help him step up a level, much like crouch has, say what you like about the big man but for me 7m was money well spent on him. We need a player who will contribute goals from the wing and downing can do that, even though personally I don't see him as the player who will deliever number 19.

Nothing wrong with Downing, he is a good mid table player who isn't good enough for Liverpool FC. I guess if we are skint then Rafa's hands are tied but I don't think we are really.

My real problem is with people who defend Downing as some sort of Last Samurai defence of the manager - it's tedious.

The same thing has happened with Alonso - the lad has gone from "being the sole reason we played shit last winter" (he was injured and out), to being "not good enough for the EPL".....

Even last summer before the Torres links, people on here were wanting Darren Bent as they thought he was Rafa's no.1 target in turn shouted down those who wanted Torres. Things quickly changed when Torres signed.

It's ridiculous.

Nothing wrong with Downing, he is a good mid table player who isn't good enough for Liverpool FC. I guess if we are skint then Rafa's hands are tied but I don't think we are really.

My real problem is with people who defend Downing as some sort of Last Samurai defence of the manager - it's tedious.

The same thing has happened with Alonso - the lad has gone from "being the sole reason we played shit last winter" (he was injured and out), to being "not good enough for the EPL".....

Even last summer before the Torres links, people on here were wanting Darren Bent as they thought he was Rafa's no.1 target in turn shouted down those who wanted Torres. Things quickly changed when Torres signed.

It's ridiculous.

At the same time though people have a problem with you constantly having digs at the manager, I'm not a regular poster on here but you do seem to have a dig at rafa an awful lot.

I think he would certainly do a job for us and would be a significant improvment on Babel, but if Sivla is avilable for 4 or 5 million more it would be madness not to go for him.

I agree, but who is to say Silva is available for that extra 5 million or that we have that extra 5 million? We're on a tight budget, and Downing is proven quality in the Prem as opposed to Silva.

Why is Downing not good enough for LFC, when you whack off over Quaresma all the time? Scored about 10 goals from the left, some stand out games, and he was really good at Anfield I thought, his goal was a touch of class.

I have serious issues with Downling. He has ability but he seems a bit too reliant on confidence. Too many games Ive seen him make poor decisions based on the fact that he doesnt have the confidence to do what he should be doing.

Hes far too inconsistant because of this.

I'm not convinced by Downing. He seems a decent player, but I'm not so sure he's of the calibre we need to move us forward. He has put in some good displays at Boro and scored a few goals, but to my eye, he doesn't seem to quite have that certain something that makes me take notice. I don't particularly recall great pace, trickery, or ability to beat a man.

All that said, if we do indeed sign him, he will get my 100% backing.

One of the things about the Prem is that the teams are rich. Even mid table teams such as Boro. Unless they have some sort of internal agreement with their player, or unless his contract had run very low, then I can't see them being too tempted by £10M. We would have to go higher and higher, by which point I suspect we'd be getting towards Silva money.

I'm watching and waiting, and staying calm and hopeful.

That statement sounds like the Torres v Bent comments last summer. But there again I may be wrong too... there is nothing wrong with any statements though, what grates is when people take on the role as self made bodyguards for the manager on a football forum.

Oh for the days for giving a player a chance. Not many things fuck me off but people getting wound up about players we have not even signed is enough to do just that.

Let us see who we sign and then even better let us see how they preform in the red jersey.

If and it is a big if we do sign Downing let us see how it turns out, not rocket science.

As for criticism Rafa is in no way beyond it, as manager he is in the front line but Rash could you just get a bit of a grip and try to move on. I know you find it hard at times but you know it winds everyone up so why for the love of god do you continue to do it.

I know you care little for what people think on here but you must realise that the continual digs at Rafa are becomming more than tiresome.

That statement sounds like the Torres v Bent comments last summer. But there again I may be wrong too... there is nothing wrong with any statements though, what grates is when people take on the role as self made bodyguards for the manager on a football forum.

Definitely.

The same is true of people who take on the role of sniping at the manager at any given opportunity, though.

Rashid, you need to have a look at what people are reacting to nad try and do something about what you post. I haven't risen to any bait since signing Paul's peace pact (mainly due to a fear of getting a virtual leather elbow patch in the face) but you have not adjusted your posting one bit. You constantly have digs at Rafa when you know that it infuriates people, and rightly so, he is the manager of our football club and I wouldn't accept that from anyone else so why should I accept it from you?

You refer to it as criticising the manager, but you aren't, you are having little digs at him, normally on threads not to do with him. You often cite Brownie as an example of someone who criticises Rafa and yet doesn't get the bullying that poor little Rash has to put up with. If you stopped for a minute and looked at how you conduct yourself and the way Brownie does, you would understand why you get the crap that he doesn't. Some people do react to innocuous comments by you, this is true, and doesn't help at all, but in general, a lot of the shit you get is quite often a result of ill advised posting (I am being kind there).

I have two boys, 13 months apart. The younger of the two Tom, winds up his older brother Alexander no end. Alexander is a patient lad and normally he ignores it but every now and then he twats him one and Tom comes running to us moaning about his brother. But I have seen him in action and he is a pain in the arse. I am surprised Alex doesn't twat him more often.

There is a fine line between criticism and wanting the manager's head on a stick. You're the latter. We all criticise Rafa. We all get pissed off the odd day and criticise the manager for the things we don't agree with. We're all our own manager and we all have our own opinions and philosophies on football. But you just take the piss. Liverpool Football Club is skint. Rafa has got hardly a penny to spend in the summer hence the signing of a mediocre Philip Degen for a free, and Dossena for 6 million. Rafa has to spread his budget thin. Thats why, in my opinion, he wants to sign Barry because he can play in 3 positions. Stuart Downing isn't a bad player. He'll do a job for us. He is a winger. He can get to the byline and whip in a good ball and he runs at players. Because he isn't a flair player like that greasy, diving, ego maniac you always goes on about you seem to dismiss him immediately.

Grow up Rash. The transfer window hasn't even opened yet and you're already going to explode.

I agree, but who is to say Silva is available for that extra 5 million or that we have that extra 5 million? We're on a tight budget, and Downing is proven quality in the Prem as opposed to Silva.

We are all only guessing regarding what is and isn't available and who is available and for what price. I think its fair enough to be disappointed with the prospect of getting Downing when Silva and Villa are some names being touted (not by Rafa I know).

If we are on a tight budget I would have sacrified everything for one top top notch attacker and as has been said, we've got plenty of players ready to be offloaded in the sales. I really think we'll have some money to spend, certainly enough to get someone of that quality.

As regards proven premiership, I'd refute that argument, I think its a bit of a misnomer. No signing is guaranteed to be a hit but I'd argue for proven quality instead.

Off the top of my head here are some proven premiership players who came to us on the back of decent seasons, Nigel Clough, Zenden, Bennayoun, Leonardson, John Scales, Ziege, Phil Babb. The list could go on and on.

All that said if Downing came, I think he would do a job.