You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guitar chords / tabs search

Lurtz

It may not be the advice you want, but I would recommend you learn Bar chords...they're not as hard as you think (don't put up a mental barrier to your progress).

Once you learn them you will prefer them to the open chord shapes.

It may not be the advice you want, but I would recommend you learn Bar chords...they're not as hard as you think (don't put up a mental barrier to your progress).

Once you learn them you will prefer them to the open chord shapes.

I know bar chords very well and I'm far too tempted to use E shaped bar chords at times. If I'm playing something with a bit of overdrive it's not a problem but I never get the same clean sound as open chords if I'm playing something more accoustic.

This one, for instance, I'll be playing an Am barred on the 4th fret to get my C#m but to go from that to a barred D on the 10th sounds awful. Far better to switch the the open D, even if much more fiddly.

Are there plenty of other bar chords as opposed to the E shape?

... for instance, I'll be playing an Am barred on the 4th fret to get my C#m but to go from that to a barred D on the 10th sounds awful. Far better to switch the the open D, even if much more fiddly.

for that change...play the D on the fifth...easy change from C#m. The D would be the bar shape of the open A Major.

I know bar chords very well and I'm far too tempted to use E shaped bar chords at times. If I'm playing something with a bit of overdrive it's not a problem but I never get the same clean sound as open chords if I'm playing something more accoustic.

This one, for instance, I'll be playing an Am barred on the 4th fret to get my C#m but to go from that to a barred D on the 10th sounds awful. Far better to switch the the open D, even if much more fiddly.

Try these

D can be played using the A shape on the 5th fret.

BTW there's a C#minor that you can play in open position.

string / position

1 / open

2 / 2nd fret

3 / 1st fret

4 / 2nd fret

5 / open

6 / open

I don't know the song and I can't find it either..

You just need quicker hands mate - and to get your fingers sorted to a methodology that suits you as opposed to the one tablatures say you should have - I've never had a problem with that change.

I would agree about the acoustic 'tone' problem in the change - but then I have a Gibson j160e and a Martin D-41 so It's not such a problem :thumbup:

Try these

string / position

1 / open

2 / 2nd fret

3 / 1st fret

4 / 2nd fret

5 / open

6 / open

That's originally a bastardisation of a 5-string banjo chord made popular by Burt Weedon in his 'tune a day' thingy - works well though, and is used to promote low rumble and growl in the change from (if I remember) Eb/Gmin by David Gilmour in 'Shine on you Crazy diamond'. Good shout mate.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

I'm trying with absolutely no luck to find some chords from Lucky by Radiohead. I'm fine with most of the song but the bit I'm missing is the section straight after the second chorus. About 3 minutes in...

[YOUTUBE]ekn8_tmLrBo[/YOUTUBE]

Any ideas anyone? It's been wrecking my head for two days now. I've visited countless tab sites but none of them seem to have noticed that part of the song. By the way, chords if you come across them as I don't get tabs.

Ta

Try these

string / position

1 / open

2 / 2nd fret

3 / 1st fret

4 / 2nd fret

5 / open

6 / open

good link.

basically the best bit of advice I can add is that the ideal way to learn to alternate between these shapes is learn "Rudie Can't Fail". Joe's bit is the one to learn (although Mick's bit has some great licks to learn as well).

However, I mainly play open chords at the moment as well, I have an archtop acoustic now and you can't strum through it like a normal guiter without seriously fucking up the sound on the E-string.

From memory, isn't it the same chords just slowed waaay down?

My solution was always to just stop after the second chorus, last strum at "standing" and then leave it "on the edge..." Works for a solo acoustic performance.

No mate, totally different set of chords. It's basically something like F#, Em, D, C, F# but it's played somewhere further up the neck than the open chords. Sounds excellent but simple, but I can't get anything close to it sounding the same.

Hmm. Might sit down with it later and see if I get any ideas. You in Em?

Edit: just had a listen and I see what you mean. Will get back to you once I've had a chance to sit down with my loved one.

Cheers Jim, let me know how you get on.

I'm standard tuned here by the way, works fine for the rest of the song. That said I've never played anything but standard tuned, I wouldn't know what to do with the thing otherwise.