You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Because it's not quite as simple as 'they should all pay huge sums of tax'.

Do you think these corporations would charge us back? we'd be paying even more for our coffee, phones and cheap DVD's via Amazon.

The government sets the rules, and the smarter corporations outsmart them as ever.

But do you think BP would enjoy having to pay more taxes in the countries they operate in? it cuts both ways.

He didn't really make a reasonable comment, he glibly reeled off the big names as examples of tax dodging businesses who should be helping to fund the NHS. No doubt there's an iPhone in pocket though.

The iphone that is based totally on technology researched and developed with public funds?

Because it's tax avoidance, a practice most multinationals engage in. British firms do it abroad, foreign firms do it here.

If there's a morale issue with these firms avoiding tax, people can stop buying their products. But they won't, because people actually care more about their products than they do about any tax avoidance.

It's was a pathetic question - that's why nobody clapped.

I wasn't arguing about the fact that people can stop using products (although the issue of information asymmetry raises it's head here as the information provided to people and the culture that they form their behaviour in is controlled by the very same people who don't want to pay tax - it isn't quite that simple. There's also the issue of the fact that with everyone being skint the decision to buy more costly products that haven't had the benefit of huge economies of scale and tax avoidance to bring the price down - from a local store - often isn't quite as simple as morality, it's necessity).

I was wondering why you seemed to think that anyone would give a fuck that BP would have to pay tax, as if British corporations are in any way different to French or US ones to the UK population. To even think of most corporations as having a nationality is quite an outdated approach really.

Ironically, the Echo editor is from the North East, its news editor is Irish and one of its sports reporters is a founder member of FC United. Hate the Echo scouse tubthumping, seeing that it was an open secret that if you were scouse you didn't have a hope in hell's chance of getting a job there, yet they've been making a living out of being seen as the moral guardians of the city for years.

That Merchant of Venice line to the audience member tipped me over the edge.

"If you haven't read it, I suggest you read The Merchant of Venice. It's very good for things like this."

Bloody hell, love, I know it's Wrexham, but I'm sure there'd be a couple in that audience who'll have read at least one Shakespeare play. It's condescending bollocks you'd expect an 18 year old uni fresher who thinks they've nailed life to come out with.