You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3663601753wc4.jpg

LONDON, Dec 11 (Reuters) - More than 80 percent of 32,000 fans questioned in a worldwide survey said that football was their most regular topic of conversation while 49 percent said it was more important to them than even family and partners.

The survey, carried out by Premier League sponsors Barclays across 185 countries, found that Liverpool striker Fernando Torres was the league's most popular player according to 38 percent of voters.

Team mate Steven Gerrard was second and Manchester United's newly-crowned European player of the year Cristiano Ronaldo third.

David Beckham's goal from the halfway line against Wimbledon in 1996 was voted the fans' favourite moment since the league began in 1992.

Soccer-Football the top conversation among fans, says survey | Reuters

I'm always available in and around the ground on match days usually, they probably sent out surveys for twats like you who are part of the Brighton Liverpool branch who go the match once in a blue moon.

I don't know if that's banter or there's history between you two but as a "local" i quite like the fact that we have so many OOT's,shows our appeal if you ask me, controversial i know but whilst there's the odd whopper i think a lot of them are extremely dedicated fans. Some scousers are dreadful supporters as well you know.

I don't know if that's banter or there's history between you two but as a "local" i quite like the fact that we have so many OOT's,shows our appeal if you ask me, controversial i know but whilst there's the odd whopper i think a lot of them are extremely dedicated fans. Some scousers are dreadful supporters as well you know.

Spot on man, I feel proud that people from all over the world want to support us.

Spot on man, I feel proud that people from all over the world want to support us.

And what about spending their money in the club shops when they get to Liverpool? And what about supporting the Liverpool economy by filling all the local hotels, restaurants & strip clubs on Matchdays?

Ignorant comment.

And stupid.

It's not you know and the same goes for Asia as well. I'm not saying this applies to everyone but you tend to get large numbers who support a certain player or players and if they move clubs, their fans also switch allegiances. I bet we had a large number of supporters after Istanbul who were supporting someone else previously as well.

At the same time, we have a large number of people in those parts who are fanatical about the club and are genuine supporters.

And what about spending their money in the club shops when they get to Liverpool? And what about supporting the Liverpool economy by filling all the local hotels, restaurants & strip clubs on Matchdays?

How very dare you! I only ever go to strip clubs the day before or after a match. NEVER on matchdays.

What is more interesting is that according to the global wide survey, Liverpool and United are neck and neck when it comes to best supported team, both at 26%

This Is Anfield: Liverpool FC Fan Site - Archives » Reds close in on Mancs’ popularity

Two things come to mind, first if we do win the title this season I think it would bring out a lot of 'closet' supporters. second, our marketing dept is sh1te!

I met a girl in the pub the other day, nice girl, Thai, probably someone's mail order bride.

Anyway, she was talking some shit about something or other, then decided to come out with the pearler. "I want to go to Manchester, to see Manchester United. I love David Beckham."

She looked crestfallen and a little confused when I said that Beckham is in Milan so she should go there to see him.

The 32,000 people are from around the World. So you could have little Johnny from Africa with his 5 different shirts so he can change to whoever is top of the league at the time giving his opinion.

Not very reliable.

Bit harsh that. There are lots of supporters around the world who have always supported one team, and one team only (whichever team that may be). There are many English based supporters who just support the "in" team of the moment, so dont tar all the foreigners with the same brush.