You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can Kean really fill in for Torres, like for like?

WhiskeyJar

With Torres out injured for 10 to 15 day, missing in the mean time 4 PL games, I wonder how Keane can fill in for him.

By doing so we cannot avoid but to compare the two players in the foward position.

Although I can say that Keane is a quality stiker who can score from anywhere, Torres is one of the deadliest stikers in the world.

Keane works hard for his team, closing down and putting preassure on opposition defenders, but Torres can beat anyone with pace and trickery.

I have my doubts if I can find any other striker in the world that can fill in for Torres, but if I had to pick a PL striker then I would have to pick Keane.

Nobody can, like for like. Though that doesn't mean we can't do very well in the next 3 games. The key will be getting the attacking midfielders bursting through and taking the game to the opposition. If we play a lone striker, Keane or otherwise, and if we isolate him, we'll simply invite trouble.

I think we should play Kuyt up there, with Keane, Gerrard and Riera in a three behind. Babel might feature if he gets fit, and Ngog will be worth a spot on the bench too.

I wouldnt mind if I saw that, but that mens that you take away Kuyts defensive duties, something that he excels at. I think starting with Ngog behind Keane means that we have a pacey player with a clynical finisher up front.

Gerrard behind them two being back up by Masch and Alonso with Kuyt on the right and Reira on the left.

With Torres out injured for 10 to 15 day, missing in the mean time 4 PL games, I wonder how Keane can fill in for him.

By doing so we cannot avoid but to compare the two players in the foward position.

Although I can say that Keane is a quality stiker who can score from anywhere, Torres is one of the deadliest stikers in the world.

Keane works hard for his team, closing down and putting preassure on opposition defenders, but Torres can beat anyone with pace and trickery.

I have my doubts if I can find any other striker in the world that can fill in for Torres, but if I had to pick a PL striker then I would have to pick Keane.

Keane should play up top, hope Rafa dont fuck up playing him wide left ever again...... that was shocking against Villa.

Heres his chance to shine and theres no reason to suspect otherwise, Keane is class.

Don't think so, but he can bring other players into the game and set them up with goalscoring opportunities better than Torres does, (not because Torres can't set others up, but just because whereas Torres would shoot most of the time, Keane will look around and try to set others up more.) so he can make up for not being as deadly in front of goal. It all depends on how the team is set out though, and whether or not others are upfront in good positions for Keane to pass the ball to.

If he's wandering around upfront and there's no one for him to pass to, then I think we have a problem, but I doubt that'll be the case. Of course he can and probably will score, but he's not going to be as good as Torres when it comes to numbers of goals, but like I already said, he can make up for that if other players are positioned well enough for him to set up aswell.

Also, this was one of my main worries at the start of the season. Once Torres is gone we're wondering what'll happen next and who will come in, but can you imagine if we lose them both at somepoint? We need another proven striker, or for one of the reserves to step up and prove himself.

I think when Torres doesn't play, then we should play 4-4-2, as I don't think any of our others striker are capable of playing the lone striker role effectively.

I'd stick Kuyt alongside Keane tomorrow, it worked against United. Play Gerrard or Benayoun on the right.

I think when Torres doesn't play, then we should play 4-4-2, as I don't think any of our others striker are capable of playing the lone striker role effectively.

I'd stick Kuyt alongside Keane tomorrow, it worked against United. Play Gerrard or Benayoun on the right.

Yeah agreed, but maybe El Zhar should be given another run out too. He might be able to cause Wigan some serious problems.

I'm not sure if the Keane/Kuyt front two as we played against Manyoo would be as effective here as we need flair and craft to unlock the ten men they will no doubt put in front of the goal.

Having said that - Keane has skill and vision so can certainly fill the void against Wigan, perhaps with Gerrard off him. I'd be tempted to play Pennant or certainly someone to provide width down the right hand side with Riera on the left. We need to stretch Wigan.

Chelsea away will be perfect for Keane and Kuyt - their work rate will be ideal.

Clearly Keane can't fill in like for like, they're two different players.

The key is can the team, whoever those 11 are, adapt so that we play to our strengths on the day? We've coped in the past without big players in big games, and I'm not just talking about Man Utd this season.

Two up top, or one with one playing off, whoever fills those positions, they should be good enough to beat Wigan. No disrepect or under-estimation there either by the way! Whatever 11 we put out will be strong and should be capable of beating Wigan.

Simple as.