You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

wiiksie

I've got a question. Now I know what you're thinking, 'how could weeksie have a question when he is the biggest nerd of all'. Well I do, and here it is:

How in sweet jesus do I set the folder view for every folder possible, including media folders, my documents, and other assorted shite than Vista wants to handle seperately? I know about Folder Options/Apply to All Folders, and the Remember Each Folder's View Settings setting, but I'll be fucked if I can get it to work for every single folder. I keep getting Rating/Album/Artist and other stupid column headings on the most random folders, and I want rid.

Fellow nerds, I place my trust in you...

I think...

if you switch to details view and right click on the headings bar there's a "more..." option

hit it and uncheck the details you dont want to see.

Doesn't work, as those settings are on a per-folder basis. Even if I turn off 'remember each folders settings' then choose the exact columns I want and click the 'Apply to All Folders' button, if I go to any folder that has media in it (mp3/jpg etc) it thinks I want to see fucking artist, tag, rating, all sorts of shite.

OK I see what you mean now. It's 'apparently' due to windows applying templates to folders.

You can reset them but it needs reg fuckering.

here's the instructions...

Firt this one...

Delete and Reset Windows Vista Folder Views or Folder Types Settings to Default Clean State » My Digital Life

then this one

Disable Automatic Folder Type Discovery for Templates in Vista » My Digital Life

I thank you, most sincerely, for finding a solution to a growing annoyance I have with Vista.

It's not grown enough yet for me to be arsed fixing it, but now I've posted in here there's a chance the thread will pop up in usercp just as I'm ready to go the Thailand hammer route.

Wiiksie and Leeson repped.

(If it lets me).

How about "Tell Windows Fucking Update I still don't want to install SP1 yet and you don't need to keep asking me every six hours"?

Jim knows. That Date Modified column problem has driven me almost to insanity, why isn't it in every folder view?? I don't care what Genre my database files are, just tell me when they were fucking updated! And then you have to scroll through the list of all the available columns starting with 'Date'...

Anyway, Leeson found the reg hack that has worked wonders for me so far, check it out Jim.

Count yourself lucky you aren't using the 64 bit version of Vista. It's King Of The Wild Cunteer.

I use 64-bit Vista. For some reason the slide show function crashes windows explorer and fucks up the screen resolution while it tries. When it's finished, my open windows have shrunk to xga size if they were bigger. Other than that, it has worked pretty well. On my previous pc, which wasn't Vista certified, I had more problems.

These days I'm actually considering doing a full scale test of Ubuntu when 8.10 releases, although that will cost me in loss of functionality. I fucking hate dual boot so I'm gonna have to do some virtualization.

I mean, even my RHEL 5.2 work machine can do slide shows without further ado!

I use 64-bit Vista. For some reason the slide show function crashes windows explorer and fucks up the screen resolution while it tries. When it's finished, my open windows have shrunk to xga size if they were bigger. Other than that, it has worked pretty well. On my previous pc, which wasn't Vista certified, I had more problems.

These days I'm actually considering doing a full scale test of Ubuntu when 8.10 releases, although that will cost me in loss of functionality. I fucking hate dual boot so I'm gonna have to do some virtualization.

I mean, even my RHEL 5.2 work machine can do slide shows without further ado!

Apparently (and I can't be arsed to check this) Microsoft Office 2007 doesn't work on 64-bit Vista.

I've got a question. Now I know what you're thinking, 'how could weeksie have a question when he is the biggest nerd of all'. Well I do, and here it is:

How in sweet jesus do I set the folder view for every folder possible, including media folders, my documents, and other assorted shite than Vista wants to handle seperately? I know about Folder Options/Apply to All Folders, and the Remember Each Folder's View Settings setting, but I'll be fucked if I can get it to work for every single folder. I keep getting Rating/Album/Artist and other stupid column headings on the most random folders, and I want rid.

Fellow nerds, I place my trust in you...

Fucking right, drives me round the absolute bend this - I want everything set to details but does it fuck do it. I work 16 hours a day on this bastard Vista laptop (which I'm sticking with because its search function surprisingly rules hard) but having to click on view-details each time I'm trying to find something on my desktop or infrequently viewed folders is a pain in the rectal passage.

Right, now to read the rest of the thread and see if someone has solved it. I had a fairly good google sesh a few months back but no joy...

Fucking right, drives me round the absolute bend this - I want everything set to details but does it fuck do it. I work 16 hours a day on this bastard Vista laptop (which I'm sticking with because its search function surprisingly rules hard) but having to click on view-details each time I'm trying to find something on my desktop or infrequently viewed folders is a pain in the rectal passage.

Right, now to read the rest of the thread and see if someone has solved it. I had a fairly good google sesh a few months back but no joy...

Ig did you get this sorted mate? The reg hack mentioned above worked like a charm, I haven't seen a 'Rating' column heading for days!

ps certainly is the Mush in my avatar, he retired this summer through injury.