You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Moyes Penalty rant

ottawa_lfc

We're not paying penalty - David Moyes

May 7 2008 by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

DAVID MOYES has saluted his side's "incredible achievement" this season of scoring 52 league goals without a single penalty kick.

Only once before in Everton’s history have The Toffees gone an entire league season without a single spot-kick award.

But in that disappointing 1971/72 season, a struggling side only managed 37 goals.

This season Everton scored goals freely up until the last month of the campaign, but Sunday’s visit of Newcastle marks their final opportunity to earn a Premier League penalty kick this season.

Moyes said: “We’ve not had a penalty kick, and we’ve only scored one free-kick from direct play, which was Alan Stubbs in the second game of the season.

“It’s quite an incredible achievement – or non-achievement really!

“I don’t think I’ve been at any club before where I’ve not had a penalty kick all season.

“But I’ll always go back to the one we didn’t get against Liverpool. If that’s not a penalty then nothing’s a penalty.” (Rather proves his point, the bitter twat)

The Blues have had firm claims turned down in their last two matches. A clear handball was not given in the match against Aston Villa, while Alan Wiley refused to consider Alexandre Song’s challenge on Leon Osman at Arsenal on Sunday.

Earlier in the season Andy Johnson, in particular, was denied a stonewall claim at Blackburn. The statistic takes on even more resonance when it is noted that continental referees have awarded Everton four spot-kicks in this season’s UEFA Cup.

Bolton and Derby are the only other Premier League clubs not to have scored from penalty kicks this season.

Moyes, meanwhile, believes Tony Hibbert is his man for the big occasion.

Everton are preparing for a match which could seal back to back UEFA Cup campaigns for the first time in 20 years on Sunday.

And right-back Hibbert is likely to start after an in and out season which has seen him kick-off just 29 of the Blues 52 matches.

But after starting three of the Blues’ last four, including an outstanding display at Arsenal on Sunday, the Blues boss said: “I thought Tony Hibbert was outstanding, as was Joseph Yobo and Phil Jagielka and Joleon Lescott.

“We play Hibbo in the games that matter because he is a good defender and he doesn’t let you down.

“He is honest in his work and he is a really good player.”

With Mikel Arteta and Tim Cahill already ruled out of Sunday’s final match of the season, and skipper Phil Neville likely to be needed in midfield, Hibbert is set to start in a match Everton could need a point from to confirm a fifth placed finish ahead of Villa.

Former Blues favourite David Unsworth, meanwhile, is ready to take his first step towards football management. The defender will take up a role as player-coach at Burnley next season.

“But I’ll always go back to the one we didn’t get against Liverpool. If that’s not a penalty then nothing’s a penalty.” (Rather proves his point, the bitter twat)

I must confess......

I rather enjoyed the moments after that incident:drool:

As Europe has proved, what's the point in giving them a penalty? They'll only miss it. Could he not just write :

Dear Ref,

Please please please please please give us a penalty against Newcastle. Ah, go on. Please. Please. Pretty please.

Yours,

David.

Anyone know what odds you can get on Michael Owen being awarded a penalty? It's all a Redshite conspiracy don't you know.

I don't even remember the incident against us. Can someone remind me?

Lescott backed into carra and was helped to fall over. He did exactly the same trick in a european game and got a pen I seem to remember.

Moyes should make another video - really worked out for Johnson last time he tried it.

Lescott backed into carra and was helped to fall over. He did exactly the same trick in a european game and got a pen I seem to remember.

Moyes should make another video - really worked out for Johnson last time he tried it.

ah yes. I remember now. He repeated the exact move in the UEFA match.

Bunch of twats.