You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Not a fan of classical music.

Flying Pig

Just to put a more modern slant on "Classical Music"...

Always been a fan of Carl Orff

YouTube - Carl Orff: Carmina Burana

Carmina Burana from 1937, recognisable from the film Excalibur.

and at the opposite end of the scale from Schulwerk Vol1 - Musica Poetica

(Basically music for Children!)

Again you might recognise it from Terrence Malicks Badlands...But dont confuse it with Hans Zimmers "Your so Cool" from the film True Romance.

Sorry SB...

I don't think people think it makes them cool if they like classical music. Quite the opposite, I think many people are embarrassed as it's seen a bit of a toff's thing to do. People who aren't born with a silver spoon sticking out of their arse, will also generally have only have accessed the more popular forms of classical music. Like all things, like this, that can lead to more.

• 3 weeks later...
I wouldn't know about that....... Who says Mozart wouldn't have been knocking out this suff if he was alive today? He was a populist when he lived.

It's true that Mozart could be said to have been a populist. Difference is, he's arguably the biggest musical genius to set foot on our planet. There endeth the comparison.

I did an extra O level in 'History and Appreciation of Classical Music' way back when for a bit of a dare/bet. It really opened my eyes to lots of what is out there, and upon reflection was an important part of my education.

I'm certainly no expert, but I have a very basic working knowledge. The main thing is finding stuff you like and appreciating what's going on.

Related to this I've been playing different pieces of music to our 4 year old daughter, since she started to identify/try to identify different instruments she heard being played. On a personal note, I've noticed that she has regressed a bit in some of the things we were doing since she's been taking medication for epilepsy, but I have noticed her musical appreciation come on leaps and bounds.

• 1 year later...

OK, the link above broke so I've uploaded it again. I can't tell you lot how fucking good this piece of piano music is. It is in fact two pieces by Chopin; Op. 22, Andante spianato in G major and Grande Polonaise Brillante in E-flat major (19MB). The first part is a gloriously smooth, peaceful introduction to the fanfare start of the second. Piano like you can't believe.

The reason I revisit this thread is that I just caught the tail-end of a fab programme on Radio 4. For those of you who missed it, there's a repeat on Saturday 5th September at 15.30. It was an exploration of one of the most utterly breathtaking a cappella choral works; Allegri's Miserere (27MB) sung by the King's College Choir. If you do nothing else today, hit the link and let it raise your spirits like nothing else.

For those of you who can't be bothered with my links, here is the Youtube of the first part Andante Spianato (Horowitz although I prefer the version on my links by Olejniczak):

[YOUTUBE]pxDzXpgNsXk[/YOUTUBE]

And the second piece, the Grande Polonaise Brillante

[YOUTUBE]4LZnGADAaFA[/YOUTUBE]

And the utterly magical Allegri's Miserere:

[YOUTUBE]x71jgMx0Mxc[/YOUTUBE]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKeH3oYkFiw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKeH3oYkFiw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The last 5 minutes of an hour-and-a-half epic. It's about life and death, resurrection, all the unimportant things in life.

Auferstehen, ja auferstehen...