You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I’m sure anyone who’s read some of the novels might know it and explain it better but I think I read one years ago about the New Republic and how the Empire had disintegrated into being run by what were effectively regional war lords dominating certain systems until a highly capable high ranking  female Imperial officer united the warring old Empire factions and renewed the war against the Republic. Would’ve been a decent film. 

54 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

I’m sure anyone who’s read some of the novels might know it and explain it better but I think I read one years ago about the New Republic and how the Empire had disintegrated into being run by what were effectively regional war lords dominating certain systems until a highly capable high ranking  female Imperial officer united the warring old Empire factions and renewed the war against the Republic. Would’ve been a decent film. 

This is the annoying thing. There a loads of great stories they could’ve done (canon or legends) but they wanted the nostalgia factor so brought back the old gang, only to not have all three share at least one scene with each other. They (Disney) have this beloved series in their hands and they have fuck all idea what to do with it.  
They need to make Dave Filoni the Kevin  Feige of the SW universe and let him run  it. Sure there’d be the odd fuck up but for the most part it’d be a lot better than what we’ve got so far. At least in the cinematic universe.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

And it's hamstrung everything else between 6 and 7 because you have to lead it to the rise of the First Order outta nowhere.

Another thing I didn't get.

At the end of jedi, rebels win,emperor dead etc

Yet 20 years later they are still the rebels  and fighting the empire who seem to have just rebranded themselves. 

15 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Yet 20 years later they are still the rebels  and fighting the empire who seem to have just rebranded themselves. 

And the New Republic was a thing and they blew it up in 30 second sequence. Cool, thanks for that.

• Upvote 2

The greatest indictment of the way Star Wars has been fucked up for me is that, broadly speaking, I’m just not that arsed anymore. I still watch all the content (or most of it – I haven’t watched all the cartoons), but I really just don’t feel exercised over all this stuff in the way that I would’ve done many years ago.

I was an original Star Wars freak and have a vivid memory of queueing round the block on Lime Street to see the original film when I was six years old. I was obsessed with it throughout my childhood and into my teenage years.

However, the prequels pretty much knocked that out of me. They weren’t shit, but they definitely killed the magic. Everything since has been pretty much in that vein, give or take the odd moment. 

• Upvote 4

The whole Anakin to Vader story was just bollocks in the prequels. He was just a moany little cunt who missed his Mammy too much and had dreams of his tail dying in childbirth. Enough to make him turn into the evil fuck we all grew up watching? Nope. 

They should have shown him as a right evil cunt even as a kid. Force choking cunts who dribbled by him or nutmegged him. Shoplifting using the force. Stuff like that. Then the emperor sensing another evil soul in the galaxy, through the dark side, seeks him out and trains him to be even crueler. He then does a Palps on it and pretends to be a good senator, just to bone Padme, and their kids are born. I'd watch that. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

The whole Anakin to Vader story was just bollocks in the prequels. He was just a moany little cunt who missed his Mammy too much and had dreams of his tail dying in childbirth. Enough to make him turn into the evil fuck we all grew up watching? Nope. 

He was a moany cunt because nobody told Lucas that the dialogue he was writing or his directing was a load of absolute horseshit.

His story has always been told better by somebody else directing  and he’s the producer.

The animated series of The Clone Wars totally changes the perception of him as character, and makes him the warrior that Obi-Wan talks about in A New Hope.

Anakin’s story of how he crossed over wasn’t about him being an evil cunt to begin with, it was about how attachment and love, and not wanting to experience loss (which he had foreseen) again as he wanted to use his force powers for good. That fear (which leads to hate) ended up consuming him.

Palpatine, did the same with a disillusioned Dooku, until Anakin was brought to his attention, but as Anakin was the more powerful (which the Jedi unknowingly brought to his attention), he manipulated him by making him believe he was able to save Padme. (I would have believed that myself for Natalie Portman if you told me that to be fair) and got him to kill of Dooku and him unwittingly becoming Sidious’ apprentice. Sidious is another brilliant character, evil to nth degree. He embodied Cuntiness to the nth degree.

He was let down by the Order and their arrogance, and belief that the Sith is been wiped out for good. Unlike most other Jedi, he was taken when he’d already built an attachment to his Mother, and they basically told him to suppress it all, and ignore all his previous learned behaviour/emotions and when he had already experienced injustice. He’d been a slave all his life until he was “rescued” by Qui-Gon.

Their inability to react to these injustices and how his frustration at how they didn’t react and they wanted to let the “Will of The Force” take place. Which meant loss of life or destruction of communities, as that’s what the force was meant to do. Pet nature take it course. Anakin didn’t believe that as he had the power to stop it happening. This frustration just grew and grew. 

With Qui-Gon being killed by Maul, and it effectively changed his future, as Obi-Wan ended up teaching him and wasn’t ready to train someone, Kenobi was rigid in his beliefs in the Jedi and wasn’t even a Jedi Master, compared to Qui-Gon who was at Master level, and with being a grey Jedi, this is why he rejected a seat on the council, and Dooku always felt he would have understood what Dooku was initially trying to do and helped the Jedi see the error of their ways. 

Mace Windu being an absolute prick and picking and choosing when he apply the law of the Jedi, in particular when it came to serving justice to Palpatine. He contradicts what they had told Anakin throughout his training by refusing to listen to him say that Palapatine needed to face justice by the courts/senate as anyone else would. 

For me he’s a brilliant character and George Lucas has a lot to answer for in how he ended up being portrayed by Christensen (not Hayden’s fault) as he directed him. The first 6 films are really all about Anakin’s journey arc of redemption and not Luke’s heroes journey.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

He was a moany cunt because nobody told Lucas that the dialogue he was writing or his directing was a load of absolute horseshit.

His story has always been told better by somebody else directing  and he’s the producer.

The animated series of The Clone Wars totally changes the perception of him as character, and makes him the warrior that Obi-Wan talks about in A New Hope.

Anakin’s story of how he crossed over wasn’t about him being an evil cunt to begin with, it was about how attachment and love, and not wanting to experience loss (which he had foreseen) again as he wanted to use his force powers for good. That fear (which leads to hate) ended up consuming him.

Palpatine, did the same with a disillusioned Dooku, until Anakin was brought to his attention, but as Anakin was the more powerful (which the Jedi unknowingly brought to his attention), he manipulated him by making him believe he was able to save Padme. (I would have believed that myself for Natalie Portman if you told me that to be fair) and got him to kill of Dooku and him unwittingly becoming Sidious’ apprentice. Sidious is another brilliant character, evil to nth degree. He embodied Cuntiness to the nth degree.

He was let down by the Order and their arrogance, and belief that the Sith is been wiped out for good. Unlike most other Jedi, he was taken when he’d already built an attachment to his Mother, and they basically told him to suppress it all, and ignore all his previous learned behaviour/emotions and when he had already experienced injustice. He’d been a slave all his life until he was “rescued” by Qui-Gon.

Their inability to react to these injustices and how his frustration at how they didn’t react and they wanted to let the “Will of The Force” take place. Which meant loss of life or destruction of communities, as that’s what the force was meant to do. Pet nature take it course. Anakin didn’t believe that as he had the power to stop it happening. This frustration just grew and grew. 

With Qui-Gon being killed by Maul, and it effectively changed his future, as Obi-Wan ended up teaching him and wasn’t ready to train someone, Kenobi was rigid in his beliefs in the Jedi and wasn’t even a Jedi Master, compared to Qui-Gon who was at Master level, and with being a grey Jedi, this is why he rejected a seat on the council, and Dooku always felt he would have understood what Dooku was initially trying to do and helped the Jedi see the error of their ways. 

Mace Windu being an absolute prick and picking and choosing when he apply the law of the Jedi, in particular when it came to serving justice to Palpatine. He contradicts what they had told Anakin throughout his training by refusing to listen to him say that Palapatine needed to face justice by the courts/senate as anyone else would. 

For me he’s a brilliant character and George Lucas has a lot to answer for in how he ended up being portrayed by Christensen (not Hayden’s fault) as he directed him. The first 6 films are really all about Anakin’s journey arc of redemption and not Luke’s heroes journey.

great post.

Said it before but I think his transformation in ROTS is quite believable and far superior to AOTC,When he did play a stoppy teeanger.

He lost his mum and will do anything to not lose padme,and palpatine exploits this perfectly,

and lets be honest,who wouldnt turn to the dark side for some more sexy time with natalie portman?

• Upvote 1

On 22/12/2022 at 13:01, Arniepie said:

great post.

Said it before but I think his transformation in ROTS is quite believable and far superior to AOTC,When he did play a stoppy teeanger.

He lost his mum and will do anything to not lose padme,and palpatine exploits this perfectly,

and lets be honest,who wouldnt turn to the dark side for some more sexy time with natalie portman?

This also leads into Kylo Ren, who again is a brilliant character, and he is perfectly portrayed by Adam Driver (and he should have been the centre of the story of the sequels) 

I liked the idea of Anakin as just another Jedi that'd been tempted by the dark side, rather than him being some sort of messianic chosen one. 

I liked the idea of him being a good man who's tempted, but the dialogue in the prequels basically establishes that he's a little cunt from childhood that everyone can sense is a cunt but decides to train anyway. Plus he's thick as fuck. 

On 21/12/2022 at 22:02, Arniepie said:

Because the whole new saga was a badly written, badly thought out shit show. They even just had a newer, bigger Death Star. 

On 21/12/2022 at 21:01, Kepler-186 said:

Sounds like Admiral Daala from the Jedi Academy trilogy by Kevin J Anderson.

• Upvote 3

• 3 months later...