You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rememberance Day Bank Holiday Petition.

Kopite

THIS IS A NOTEABLE PETITION THAT THE GOVERNMENT HAS ASKED FOR: PLEASE SIGN IF YOU WANT AN EXTRA BANK HOLIDAY .

Petition to: create a new public holiday, the National Remembrance Holiday to commemorate The Fallen and our Nation, with the holiday falling on the second Monday in November each year, the day after Remembrance Sunday.

Number 10 Downing Street has approved a petition that was launched requesting a new public holiday falling on the Monday after Remembrance Sunday in November each year. To be known as the National Remembrance Holiday, it's got three aims:

1. To emphasise the remembrance of those servicemen and women who have given, and continue to give, their lives for Britain

2. To remind people of the importance of protecting our Nation and what it stands for;

3. To break that 3 month period between the August Public Holiday and Christmas when there are currently no long weekends, especially as the UK has fewer public holidays than most European Countries.

If you agree to the idea, please sign up to the petition - it doesn't take long - and it would be great if you were to forward the link to other people as well. If you are not interested, just hit the delete key.

This is not just about another bank holiday, but more importantly about having a designated day to remember all those people that sacrificed their lives for our freedom.

to be honest, as much as I would like an extra day off, I feel uncomfortable about it being off the back of remembrance day. I think it is best marked as it is now, on remembrance sunday. I just think that it could in a way become devalued as sadly a lot of people would just be made up with another long weekend.....

We get less bank holidays than most of Europe I think, we deserve one but, as AK78 says, whether Remembrance Day is the right day I'm not sure.

I'm game for that date or Trafalgar Day (October 21st). The gap between bank holidays is between August and Christmas so it makes sense to have it around that time of the year, either late October or Early November.