You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Player of 2007

Rashid

Whi is your Liverpool Player of 2007  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Whi is your Liverpool Player of 2007

• Fernando Torres
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Alvar Arbeloa
    • Jamie Carragher
    • Xabi Alonso
    • Sami Hyypia
    • Daniel Agger
    • Jermaine Pennant
    • Javier Mascherano
    • Pepe Reina

For me, I know it may not be cool to do so but Torres has to take it for me as he just lifts the side to one capable of playing incredible football as opposed to just very good stuff. He's come straight into a top Premiership side ~(playing in England kills many careers - just ask Forlan and Morientes to name but two) and has averaged a goal a game since the start. Fabulous.

I know he won;t win it, but Pennant CERTAINLY justifies his place in the shortlist. In the last three months of last season he was probably our best player (including the best in the CL final) and his early season form was almost up to the same levels until his injury.

As for Finnan vs Arbeloa, I'm Finnan's biggest fan in the world, but this season he's been very poor. Player of the seaqson two years ago, not quite up there at the moment.

Reina, Gerrard and Mascherano have obviously all been superb - as Rashid said initially, special shout to Javier for putting all the West Ham shit to one side and just getting on with it, and keeping his head up.

But I HAVE to go with Torres who has done more in the 4 months than the others have done in a year, for me.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a hard decision but like most people on here have said, for utter consistency it has to be Reina, the lad is outstanding and IMO is a better keeper than Cech. Reina has to be in the top 5 in the world at the moment. So underated by the media, it is a disgrace.

Mascherano amd Arbeloa pushed him hard but Pepe has done it for 2 seasons now and it would be a huge loss and nigh on impossible to replace him IF he ever left.

I've been watching LFC since 78 and I honestly believe he is the best keeper we have had since Clemence.

Masha i think should get it..

Pepe Gerrard and Agger all come close but to come from being an outcast at West Ham, with no confidence in a strange country, and play like he did on the road to Athens, he deserves it.

Remember against Chelsea at Anfield, a yellow card away from missing the final but he went into every tackle with no holding bak and for that he is a legend in my eyes

The fact that Reina is number 1 is frankly quite embarrassing.

I agree, actually. He's been fantastic but how many games has he won us in 2007? There's quite a few games where he hardly has a touch of the ball!

I love him, and I think he's a brilliant goalkeeper.

I just don't see how Gerrard hasn't won it, considering how many games he's contributed to us winning.

I agree, actually. He's been fantastic but how many games has he won us in 2007? There's quite a few games where he hardly has a touch of the ball!

I love him, and I think he's a brilliant goalkeeper.

I just don't see how Gerrard hasn't won it, considering how many games he's contributed to us winning.

My point exactly. The fact that we don't have an outfield player that enough people will vote for to make them number 1 is embarrassing in a variety of ways. Not that Reina hasn't been good, but for me being consistently "good" should not be enough to win you an accolade like this at a club like ours.

Please state your choice and why.... mine is Javier Mascherano. New club, new country, disillusioned at West Ham, lost confidence, came here instantly showed his quality and was MOM in the European Cup Final.

This season he has been immense, gives it 100% and is a big game player. I love him and would be seriously fucked off if he didn't sign.

Agree with that. He got off to a slow start this season but lately has been outstanding. His performance in the European Cup final was class too.

My point exactly. The fact that we don't have an outfield player that enough people will vote for to make them number 1 is embarrassing in a variety of ways. Not that Reina hasn't been good, but for me being consistently "good" should not be enough to win you an accolade like this at a club like ours.

It's just a reflection of some of the disillusioned people that frequent this forum. I didn't vote for Gerrard like. I'm Stevie's biggest fan but I voted for Mascherano. The way he has played since arriving (barring a few games early on this season) has been brilliant. He may not of won us as many games as Gerrard has, but his effort has been first class and he keeps getting better.

I voted for Carra purely because I cannot believe he only had one vote. How many times did he stop Pepe even having to make a save in a match over the last year?

What happened to a team of Carraghers? None of the others would even get a game in that case.

Plays virtually every match, with different players alongside him every week, and is a model of consistency. And before you say it, he hasn't had his greatest start to the season ever, but has still been brilliant. He even had to play alongside Riise on boxing day. No man has ever given more.

Just to expand - The argument about him sometimes having nothing to do is a moot point by the way.

One of the major factors in our defence being so tight is actually down the organisation, consistency and the marshalling of Reina.

They say that keepers get comfort from having a great defence in front of them, but that also works the other way. No defender is totally at ease with a dodgy keeper behind them.

In terms of personell we've had perhaps the most steady backline in the league in recent years. Carra, Sami, Riise and Finnan have all played in front of Westerveld and/or Dudek, but never as effectively as when they've played in front of Reina. He's a defenders wet dream. Solid, reliable, commanding and vocal.

His distribution is also second to none, anywhere, as well.

Nobody has played more consistently at a high level as Pepe for me. He's just fucking brilliant.

I voted for Gerrard because he's been ace especially this season

since the first day of the season against Villa to boxing day against Derby he has won us some tight matches and had a huge influence in others. our improved away form has a lot to do with his renewed determination, against Newcastle and Marseilles again he was fantastic, for these performances alone he deserves it

Torres and Mascherano have made a huge, huge impact and Torres especially can't be far behind Gerrard. Pepe with the golden gloves award and penalty saves against Chelsea is a popular choice but for me Gerrard just shades it

whatever the case I hope we get Mascherano signed up asap :dunno:

Gerrard has had a very mixed year. Some superb displays some quite frankly shite too.

He's had a few quiet games, but all players do. You can't expect him to be brilliant every week.

Reina has been really consistent but I just don't think that's enough to be in contention for player of the year, and i'm one of his biggest fans!

His reading of the game is brilliant and I love the way he plays as a sweeper-keeper, but that doesn't hide from the fact that in many games he is a virtual spectator.

I take Tom's point (oo er) about concentration - that's very true, but sometimes it's a case if him having to collect a couple of crosses and not much else.

Most games at Anfield, we have to break down tight defences and for me Gerrard contributes as much as anyone to that.

Are we voting on this season or this year? If it's season, I full agree with the Gerrard shouts - he's been ace for goal scoring alone. However, I thought he was poor by his own standards for much of last season.

I thought he played well in the second half of last season.

He scored some great goals - that volley against Bolton at home, Arsenal at home in the CC, Sheffield Utd at home, PSV in the CL Quarter Final...

Six goals he scored in the second half of last season, and so far this year he has twelve goals - and i'm sure he's created a fair few as well! As I said earlier though, people forget about those things because they expect it from him.

If we bought in a new player for about £15M and he did what Gerrard does, he would walk the player of the year polls.

I thought he played well in the second half of last season.

He scored some great goals - that volley against Bolton at home, Arsenal at home in the CC, Sheffield Utd at home, PSV in the CL Quarter Final...

Six goals he scored in the second half of last season, and so far this year he has twelve goals - and i'm sure he's created a fair few as well! As I said earlier though, people forget about those things because they expect it from him.

If we bought in a new player for about £15M and he did what Gerrard does, he would walk the player of the year polls.

I haven't forgotten anything, Ian. I agree that he scored some good goals last season, but I still thought he was poor overall and often went missing/strolling through games. This season he has been brilliant, in my opinion and will drive our season way beyond what we're really capable of if he stays in this run of form until May. However, the poll is for 2007.

I hope you don't mind me saying, mate, but you're getting a bit precious about Gerrard now. I agree that he gets a bum deal off a lot of people, but he's not above criticism. I can be a little bit the same about Carra, but even the best players do play slightly below par sometimes. For what it's worth, he would have been my second choice. However, across the whole year, Pepe is the man for me.

I haven't forgotten anything, Ian. I agree that he scored some good goals last season, but I still thought he was poor overall and often went missing/strolling through games. This season he has been brilliant, in my opinion and will drive our season way beyond what we're really capable of if he stays in this run of form until May. However, the poll is for 2007.

I hope you don't mind me saying, mate, but you're getting a bit precious about Gerrard now. I agree that he gets a bum deal off a lot of people, but he's not above criticism. I can be a little bit the same about Carra, but even the best players do play slightly below par sometimes. For what it's worth, he would have been my second choice. However, across the whole year, Pepe is the man for me.

If you can't get 'precious' over Steven Gerrard then who can you get precious over?!

I used to a be a big critic of his, but some of the abuse he receives and also the lack of recognition he gets because of past misdemeanours only serves to make me rally around him. It's not a conscious decision by any means, I just find myself getting behind him because I think he deserves it for what he's done for Liverpool.

I totally agree that he's not above criticism - no-one is. I do give him a bit of rope though due to the amount of times he's pulled us out of the mire. If he has a quiet game on Sunday, some will be lambasting him and forgetting what he did in the last twenty minutes against Derby.

I don't mind you saying anything Paul, it's a forum and it's your opinion!

• 4 weeks later...

Gerrard. Quite simply the best footballer to wear the red shirt during my generation.

He's always the player we look to when we need rescuing and he often delivers when it matters.

Think he often gets overlooked by some liverpool fans because of the chelsea business but will probably go down as the 1st or 2nd behind dalglish best player to ever play for the club.