You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Moving Back to the UK

Redexile

If you're going to work in Warrington then i'd definitely consider some of the places already listed.

Knutsford is v v nice but again expensive.

Northwich and Delamere Forest sort of way is good also.

Heswall is overpriced and not particularly special. West Kirby and Hoylake are as nice and at least they have the beach etc.

We looked all over that side of the Wirral and ended up buying a house in Neston. You definitely get more for you money than in Heswall. You'll get a reasonable modern (ish) 4 bed detached for £250K in Neston or an older character 3 bed semi. Handy for the M56 and access to Warrington etc.

As someone said use rightmove.co.uk and just do a mile or so round each of these palces to get a good idea of what you get.

Interestig to hear your reasons for leaving RSA. Shame esp if it does end up going the way you are suggesting it might.[/quote

Yep, I've more or less taken Heswall out of the equation now ,been checking out Bebington and Bromborough. I will also have gansy at Neston and Knutsford.

I really do fear that things will go pear shaped here, I could probably hang around for a while longer but there is an awful lot of talent leaving. Chief reasons given are crime and lack of a future. The thing is that the kids graduating last year and this have all had the benefit of an education under a democratic government but for the white kids and the kids of mixed race BEE policies will mean that they will probably need to leave the country to get on in life.An Indian friend of my daughter was told she was not African enough to be considered for a position she's now considering Australia. I will leave with many great memories and a lot of sadness for what could have been.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some friends of ours left SA a few years back, great people, but they were fearful of the crime and all the rest of it. He was born in Warrington, but brought up in SA, she was born and brought up out there. Their eldest was born out there too.

Every so often they've got homesick for SA, but the odd packet of Chicken a la King seems to help them along. At one point she was getting very homesick, and they were considering a return, until they went back for a visit. She stayed a little longer than he did, with family, and after being stalked around a shopping mall for a couple of hours she realised it wasn't the place it was when she was growing up (along with a few other things).

Apart from that pang of homesickness they've settled over here really really well now. Their eldest just started high school, so he's about 11, and you can barely hear his SA accent now. Their youngest was born here and is only just talking.

I think what they miss is not the SA of now, it's the SA of then. And when they went back last year they realised the SA of then is all but gone.

When they first came over here they rented a place to start with, to get an idea of where best to go and live.

Was there a period of nice happiness in South African then? Where there wasn't apartheid, or massive crime and there wasn't too strict positive discrimination?

Or were they just happy white dudes is a massive house with slaves and shit?

Was there a period of nice happiness in South African then? Where there wasn't apartheid, or massive crime and there wasn't too strict positive discrimination?

Or were they just happy white dudes is a massive house with slaves and shit?

aha I was wondering how long it would take before a politically correct idiot would fuckin post. FYI many whites voted for the ANC in 94 .The shit has really only started to hit the fan from around 2002 when the masses realised that the only people benfiting from BEE where the party bigwigs and friends now driving WaBenzi's and living in their mansions in Joburgs Northern suburbs and Cape Towns Southern suburbs. Rather say fuck all if you can only contribute shite.

aha I was wondering how long it would take before a politically correct idiot would fuckin post. FYI many whites voted for the ANC in 94 .The shit has really only started to hit the fan from around 2002 when the masses realised that the only people benfiting from BEE where the party bigwigs and friends now driving WaBenzi's and living in their mansions in Joburgs Northern suburbs and Cape Towns Southern suburbs. Rather say fuck all if you can only contribute shite.

I wasn't trying to be "politically correct", that was a question, maybe asked in a rather glib manner. Which you've answered with that bit in bold.

Pair of touchy bastards you two.

I wasn't trying to be "politically correct", that was a question, maybe asked in a rather glib manner. Which you've answered with that bit in bold.

Pair of touchy bastards you two.

Apologies mate, yesterday was a kak day at work and I guess I bit a little. In my defence it was a bit glib. No probs though. I guess that makes me the GF's grumpy owl bastard. !!!