You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Words you use too much

Section_31

:telloff: :wallbutt: :whoops: :P :yes: :thumbup: 8) :santa: :no :ermm: :$ :thumbsup: :eek: :D O_o :thumbdown :sleep: :notamused: :biggrin: :dunno: :tease: :lol: :angry: :smile: :blah :angel: :inlove: :idea: :sick: :party: :sniff: :laugh: :( :drool: :eek: ;) :| :whistle: :whatever: (6) :wow:

• 16 years later...
On 07/11/2007 at 21:18, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I quote cartoons incessantly. It's bad enough that I do the obvious stuff (like "D'Oh!") but sometimes some sick shit of Cartman's or Peter Griffin's will just pop out at really inappropriate times. Worse still, I also watch shit cartoons like Fairly Odd Parents - even if anyone did pick up on my Crimson Chin references, they wouldn't admit to it.

17 years later I recently had to explain myself in a union meeting when I pointed out that it was important that someone was given meaningful work and not just "guarding the bee".

Underpants Gnomes crop up regularly, too.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I hope nobody uses the word literally often,particularly incorrectly most of the time? Cracks my nut that does.

I have fought a pointless one man battle for years against this, like a Japanese soldier on a lonely pacific island in the 1950s. I’ve given up now. There’s probably someone on a neighbouring island fighting the same futile war of  “like” instead of “said”. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I have fought a pointless one man battle for years against this, like a Japanese soldier on a lonely pacific island in the 1950s. I’ve given up now. There’s probably someone on a neighbouring island fighting the same futile war of  “like” instead of “said”. 

It's a bit of a contagion. I've found myself using it and then rapidly running the situation I've used it in to make sure it was used appropriately. Usually it is but I'm sure I've shown a symptom or two at times.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It's a bit of a contagion. I've found myself using it and then rapidly running the situation I've used it in to make sure it was used appropriately. Usually it is but I'm sure I've shown a symptom or two at times.

It’s over. It’s a filler word now that can be taken out of sentences without losing any of the meaning. Literally meaningless. 

5 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

17 years later I recently had to explain myself in a union meeting when I pointed out that it was important that someone was given meaningful work and not just "guarding the bee".

Underpants Gnomes crop up regularly, too.

I've been unsuccessfully trying to normalise the Mr Burns greeting "A-hoy-hoy" for some years now.

Said it to the pub landlord on Sunday and he blanked me. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I've been unsuccessfully trying to normalise the Mr Burns greeting "A-hoy-hoy" for some years now.

Said it to the pub landlord on Sunday and he blanked me. 

Wasn't this Bell's first words over the telephone? I think he tried to standardise this as a greeting.

• Upvote 2