You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

favourite western

Red '84

im no expert on the genre but am a massive leone fan, love the spaghetti trilogy and once upon a time in the west, out of those, id say "for a few dollars more" is my favourite, mainly because of the locket chime that features throughout and the stand off at the end where they shoot when the chime stops, favourite cinematic moment for me maybe, also el indio is a quality bad guy! whats your views?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also a big Eastwood fan, and a Few Dollars More is right up there.

But can you beat the Duke? John Wayne in Rio Bravo with Dean Martin is one of my all time favourite films, and High Noon with Gary Cooper has to get an honourable mention.

dean martin was quality in that alright but for me the leone films shade it as they were a unique style and the soundtracks were crucial in this, loved the revenge scenes with the flashbacks, like in once upon a time in the west when the man with the harmonica has the showdown with henry fondas killer and it flashes back to his brother being hung off his own shoulders, the drama and music in scenes like that set leones movies apart for me but obviously, there from different eras.

have a fair few of the morricone soundtracks and it would be amazing if they ever organised a live orchestral soundtrack to watch alongside a screening of any of those movies(spaghetti westerns/the mission, once upon a time in america/the west)

i remember asian dub foundation did something similar with a live soundtrack played over a screening of la haine in dublin a few years back, that sort of thing should be done more.

Some great films already mentioned here, most notably Noos's contributions.

More for your perusal:

Open Range, A Man Called Horse, Hombre, The Long Riders, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, The Searchers, Last of the Mohicans, Dead Man, The Valley of Gwanji, Support your Local Sheriff, The Cowboys.

Some great films already mentioned here, most notably Noos's contributions.

More for your perusal:

Open Range, A Man Called Horse, Hombre, The Long Riders, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, The Searchers, Last of the Mohicans, Dead Man, The Valley of Gwanji, Support your Local Sheriff, The Cowboys.

I was going to mention that too. Richard Harris' finest. The nipple hooked totem pole initiation ceremony still makes me wince.

Spaghetti -

Django

Sabata

My name is nobody

El Mariachi / Desperado / Once upon a time in Mexico

(If those 3 count as westerns ?)

Classic western -

Dances with Wolves

High Noon

Anyone read any good westerns ?

Littlebigman, Return of Littlebigman, Two for Texas, Dead Man's Walk, Streets of Laredo, Commanche Moon, Flashman and the Redskins, American by Blood are all pretty good books.

Try and get hold of a biography of Liver-Eating Johnson. The film Jeremiah Johnson's based on him and he led an amazing life. Apparently, the Crow sent 20 or 30 lads after him and they were not to return until he was dead. They were coming at him one at a time and he was seeing them all off. The last one returned after 30 years (that last bit may be an exaggeration, I'm not sure). Once when captured, he killed the Indian who was guarding him and snuck out of the camp into the wilderness. He knew he'd get a bit peckish, so decided to grab a snack to take with him and twisted the leg clean off the dead brave. He ended up using it as a club on a bear whose cave he had tried to spend the night in.

Oh, and Tombstone sucks.

I'm also a big Eastwood fan, and a Few Dollars More is right up there.

But can you beat the Duke? John Wayne in Rio Bravo with Dean Martin is one of my all time favourite films, and High Noon with Gary Cooper has to get an honourable mention.

Agreed. I also love the virtual remake he did - El Dorado.