You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kefalonia

theghost

Did he play with Captain Corelli's mandolin?

No. He's not really my type.

I'm a big fan of Greece as I love the relaxed approach they seemingly have to life, the emphasis they place on family [if you see them out for a meal it's always 3 generations etc] and they seem to live their life in an honourable way. When we were there this year we were talking to an English guy who ran a bar in our village and he said the police issue crime statistics each month like they do at home and each month most of them are at zero. He had a lot of sports memobrabilia around the bar which he said next season he wanted to make more secure in case anyone nicked it. He said it won't be the locals - it'll be the brits!!

But it depends what you're looking for theghost.

I prefer the less spoilt (by tourism) islands. Went to Rhodes last year and found it very anglophiled [take your money first, don't give a toss whether you liked you meal or not. There was a fucking Marks&Spencer on the island FFS] so in that respect Kefalonia ticked all the right boxes for me.

If you love the simple life Kefalonia is for you. If you are a party animal I suspect it would be too quiet.

Has anyone ever been? I'm considering doing a semester there next fall and would like to know what I'm getting myself into before I leave. Anyone been or know anything about it?

Been there twice. It's beautiful. Compared to the other Greek islands (which i also love) its most tranquil, dude

• 9 years later...

Just booked a villa for the 2 of us in Skala for October.

Anyone have any recommendations of bars, tavernas, restaurants, day trips etc?

Only been to Lassi before (in fact going again in June) and as has been said it's a very laid back place. One thing I would do though is hire a car as there are so many lovely places to visit including some great beaches!

The capital (Argostoli) is really nice and you can have a bevy/meal at the harbourside where the giant turtles swim right by you. Cliched but still fucking lovely.

Only been to Lassi before (in fact going again in June) and as has been said it's a very laid back place. One thing I would do though is hire a car as there are so many lovely places to visit including some great beaches!

The capital (Argostoli) is really nice and you can have a bevy/meal at the harbourside where the giant turtles swim right by you. Cliched but still fucking lovely.

Booked it through James Villas and we get free car hire for the week with it as part of the deal.

The villa is basic but the pool is secluded and private. Just have to wait to bloody October now. 

https://www.jamesvillas.co.uk/destinations/greece/kefalonia/skala/roza-2358?adults=2&children=0&infants=0&airport=LHR,SOU,LTN,LGW,MAN&childAges=&searchLogId=124650618