You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does anyone believe Bent is an improvement on Kuyt, Crouch or Bellamy?

I certainly don’t.

yes, i think you'll find several people on here do. I'd take him over Bellamy any day of the week (if only purely for the fact that i wouldn't have to look at the neckless bellend on a weekly basis).

plus, with the amount of games we play every year, we'll need 3 quality strikers. kuyt is going to be massive for us next year. crouchie is a nightmare for defenses as always, and whomever we get during the transfer window will hopefully turn out to be better than both of them.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PaddyBerger15

plus, with the amount of games we play every year, we'll need 3 quality strikers. kuyt is going to be massive for us next year. crouchie is a nightmare for defenses as always, and whomever we get during the transfer window will hopefully turn out to be better than both of them.

ahem...AND the Count Voronin of course....with his wolf-like pace and cunning.

ahem...AND the Count Voronin of course....with his wolf-like pace and cunning.

again, if Voronin is the one who ends up getting 20+ goals next season, i'm not going to care unless no one else scores.

on a serious note, i'm excited about next season. i have this overwhelming feeling of not knowing what the hell is going on with our club, while being cautiously optimistic.

who says Voronin couldn't be a surprise? Gonzales sure as hell didn't work out the way we thought he would (neither did bellamy either, for me). Agger was massive in replacing an Anfield legend. i'm sure plenty of us had our apprehensions replacing #4. plus we landed the Chief, a good problem to have w/ Gerrard and Xabi and Momo AND Lucas.

if we end up getting Bent, there's no point shit talking his abilities unless he shits the bed for us, then he can fuck off...

I certainly don’t.

With equal playing time I think he'd score more than any of them in the Premiership.

I'd prefer Owen at £9m but (assuming we're not getting Eto'o or Tevez) Bent would be a good option.

With equal playing time I think he'd score more than any of them in the Premiership.

I'd prefer Owen at £9m but (assuming we're not getting Eto'o or Tevez) Bent would be a good option.

Agreed. And the criticism that Bent would be up against teams who defend far deeper than they would against Charlton is nullified by us having a far more attacking midfield than Charlton, thus (theoretically) creating more chances.

I am more interested in the wide players. I think they need to be of the highest quality. Bent is a good striker. So are Kuyt and Crouch. If we started with Bent and Kuyt, I reckon they are more than capable of 30/40 goals between them.

For me, its about the players supplying them, and buying a match winning midfielder or 2 (and/or No 10 type player).

If its Bent and a couple of players who aren't likely to make a huge difference (such as Benayoun) I'll be disappointed. If its Bent and a couple of top class wingers, I'll be happy enough.

Tell you what, I'd love to have seen the internet reaction to some of our signings in the olden days. John Aldridge FFS :wallbutt: :wallbutt: :wallbutt: He's shite. We should be getting Van Basten.

Guest PaddyBerger15
I saw Voronin today having a drink outside the Penny Farthing in town.

Impossible. The Lord Voronin only drinks from the throats of virgins, and then under the cover of darkness.

Whoever we sign we need a change in play, Bent and the continued use of the current tactics and we will have the same problem. That goes for whoever we sign. The fact that we discuss if they are good up front on there own begs another question, we should just play two up and you'd see a big improvement for me.

Yeah thats probably correct.

One thing I dont understand (not aimed at you Paul) but we have signed two youngsters from South America, why arent we as happy with that fact as we are unhappy with the fact United have signed two, I just dont get it.

Leto and Lucas are two young players with massive potential, just becuase MU and SSN havent linked up and had a good old wank over the two of them doesnt mean they arent good players.

I would say its because Lucas (whilst a great prospect) plays in a position in which we are so well stocked that he will struggle to get in the team - if he was a left winger with that potential we would be very excited. Secondly Leto unfortunately is nowhere near the same calibre IMO and does not have massive potential.

Bent is a good player. Is he the level of player I envisaged us signing a few weeks ago? No. But right now he might be one of our better options. I think our original bid of £10 million (if that figure is correct) was about right though, and I'd be hesitant to pay anything more than about £12 million for him.

I certainly don’t.

Top ten scorers - Premier League matches 06/07 season.

1 Drogba 20

2 McCarthy 18

3 Ronaldo 17

4 Rooney 14

5 Viduka 14

6 Bent 13

7 Doyle 13

8 Berbatov 12

9 Kuyt 12

10 Yakubu 12

A striker's job, first and foremost, is to score goals. Yes, I am playing devil's advocate.

Now I know I'm anticipating here, but does that mean that Benni McCarthy is a "better player" than Dirk or Berbatov (or Bent)? Not necessarily - obviously it depends on the criteria you use to make the assessment, but in our case, surely the criteria should be how the player would fit alongside the players we already have/are likely to sign before next season and whether they would score goals?

Bent is pacy, strong, works hard and is a proven finisher in the Prem, all of which suggest to me that he'd do well playing alongside a player like Crouchy. Or Tevez. LOfuckingL. It also suggests that he's a very similar player to Dirk and managed to score more goals last season whilst playing for an inferior side (incidentally he also had a better shots to goals ratio than Dirk) but put your knives away - I'm not suggesting we get rid of Dirk. Dirk was the only one of our strikers to hit double figures last season. I'm just trying to illustrate the fact that for me, a lot of people's issue with Bent doesn't seem to be based on any kind of logic.

I'm not banging a drum for him or anything, let's say he wouldn't be my preference and at £17m there's absolutely no way in hell we should buy him but there's no suggestion that we're looking at bidding that for him either. That reminds me, are we skint or not today - I've lost track? For £10m to £12m I think we could do a lot worse. Yes, there are players that I (and Rafa) would prefer to sign but to keep suggesting the lad is shite is just wrong, plain and simple.

As far as Owen goes, does Rafa actually rate him or want him at all? I ask only because I'm struggling to think of a scrap of evidence I've seen over the last three years to suggest that he does. I know that apparently Gerrard, Carra, Parry and probably half the forum do; at £9m I'd be perfectly happy with him as value for money myself, but if Rafa does't want him it's irrelevant. What's the point of comparing players that we express an interest in signing with players that we aren't going to sign? We might as well say he's not as good as Kaka - so fucking what, we're not going to sign him are we?

I would say its because Lucas (whilst a great prospect) plays in a position in which we are so well stocked that he will struggle to get in the team - if he was a left winger with that potential we would be very excited. Secondly Leto unfortunately is nowhere near the same calibre IMO and does not have massive potential.

I would say that if Lucas fits into the club then Xabi Alonso isn't untouchable in the squad as he is more of that mould with better tackling.

I would say that if Lucas fits into the club then Xabi Alonso isn't untouchable in the squad as he is more of that mould with better tackling.

Cheers, that reminds me. The only thing Xabi's new contract means is that we can now keep him for up to three seasons and still be guaranteed a good fee for him because he'll have two years left on his contract.