You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bascombe

Simple question really

What needs to happen for somebody to be able to work for that paper without being villified for it.

Is it a full appology or more or will it never be under any circumstances be acceptable even if there was a full appology and a donation to the HJC.

I am interested to know what it would take especially from somebody like yourself who has problems with somebody working for its sister paper let alone the paper itself

My Death in my case

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple question really

What needs to happen for somebody to be able to work for that paper without being villified for it.

Is it a full appology or more or will it never be under any circumstances be acceptable even if there was a full appology and a donation to the HJC.

I am interested to know what it would take especially from somebody like yourself who has problems with somebody working for its sister paper let alone the paper itself

For me they really fucked up when they made that fumbled attempt at an apology. If there had been a full, unconditional apology and a substantial donation to the HJC then I would have accepted that, but a half heated apology has made it almost impossible for this ever to be laid to rest. I would never buy it, but I didn't before that anyway, but a genuine apology would turn it back to just being a shit paper, rather than what it is today, an object of extreme hate.The "apology" was a slap in the face.

For me they really fucked up when they made that fumbled attempt at an apology. If there had been a full, unconditional apology and a substantial donation to the HJC then I would have accepted that, but a half heated apology has made it almost impossible for this ever to be laid to rest. I would never buy it, but I didn't before that anyway, but a genuine apology would turn it back to just being a shit paper, rather than what it is today, an object of extreme hate.The "apology" was a slap in the face.

Interesting thoughts those your almost saying never ever and at the end your saying an apology might be acceptable a bit confused as to which it is.

I've long been of the opinion that where a newspaper slanders someone or a set of people, the recourse in law should be that the paper are orsered to print a headline that made it clear to readers that they had lied or made a serious mistake. That headline should be commensurate with the original story. So, if you have a huge headline saying THE TRUTH, followed by 4 pages inside then you shoud be made to print a huge headlne stating WE LIED, followed by 4 pages about how you'd engaged in shoddy journalism. The same goes for any case of slander or expose that turns out to be bollocks. If newspapers were forced to admit these lies/mistakes to their readers it would lead to an increase in the standards of journalism as they'd want to avoid a drop-off in readership.

Interesting thoughts those your almost saying never ever and at the end your saying an apology might be acceptable a bit confused as to which it is.

I fucked up the order of it. To summarise, they had a chance, made a fake apology and fucked it up forever. I hate the paper for other reasons though so i would never be impressed with anyone wanting to work there particularly, but as a Liverpool fan it is just not thinkable.

I've long been of the opinion that where a newspaper slanders someone or a set of people, the recourse in law should be that the paper are orsered to print a headline that made it clear to readers that they had lied or made a serious mistake. That headline should be commensurate with the original story. So, if you have a huge headline saying THE TRUTH, followed by 4 pages inside then you shoud be made to print a huge headlne stating WE LIED, followed by 4 pages about how you'd engaged in shoddy journalism. The same goes for any case of slander or expose that turns out to be bollocks. If newspapers were forced to admit these lies/mistakes to their readers it would lead to an increase in the standards of journalism as they'd want to avoid a drop-off in readership.

:thumbup:

Thank you for your very forthright answer

Just like to put some clarity to that

I cant forgive them for what they have done and anyone taking a Job with either paper agreeing with what was printed i would have no time for.

However i could still have a friend who worked at either paper and he or she would still be my friend, i just could never agree with what they do for a living.

If they repeated or believed as fact, what was written i would have to say our freindship would be at an end.

I agree with every word of that, great post

Just like to put some clarity to that

I cant forgive them for what they have done and anyone taking a Job with either paper agreeing with what was printed i would have no time for.

However i could still have a friend who worked at either paper and he or she would still be my friend, i just could never agree with what they do for a living.

If they repeated or believed as fact, what was written i would have to say our freindship would be at an end.

Crystal clear and not a million miles from my view on the matter, As they are never gonna do what Scouse Missonary suggests the If isnt worth discussing and can be dealt with if they ever did a 5 page appology

At what point do we move on from this

Would a full appology be enough?

Germans appologised for killing 6m jews and we now all get on again but it took some time.

So what would have to happen for it to be ok for someone to work at the devils paper?

That actually made me laugh.

"Sorry about all that chaps"

"No problem Fritz"

Simple question really

Well, the printed a full page with THE TRUTH so the following will do for me:

WE LIED

WE APOLOGIZE

An editorial that explains how they now understand how their actions caused a lot of extra grief to the bereaved families, the club and the city, and I'm ready to move on.

WE LIED

WE APOLOGIZE

Seeing that jogged me memory of something Mr K Dalglish said when asked by that fuckin cunthole how the s*n could get back in everyones good books:

“How can we correct the situation?” he said.

“You know that big headline – ‘The Truth’?” I replied. “All you have to do is put ‘We lied’ in the same size. Then you might be all right.”

Mackenzie said: “I cannot do that.”

“Well,” I replied, “I cannot help you then.”

That was it. I put the phone down. Merseysiders were outraged by the Sun. A great many still are.

Is right Kenny.

Fuck the S*n and whatever they have to say now. I dont give a flying shite what certain scouse haters on here say.

I, and many many thousands of other reds, will never ever forgive that rag, despite what the cunts try to do to get sales back.

Red Nick - I suggest you shut the fuck up soft lad, as you are trying to play smart arse with a subject that means a lot to a lot of people.

the HJC's view on the News of the World.

Hi,

I was wondering whether you be kind enough to clarify the HJC's stance on the News of the World.

I consider the NotW as the Sunday version of The Sun. That is my own personal view brought about I feel by the close relationship between the two "papers". Back in April 1989 I don't think the link was anything like as overt as it is today, and suspect that is the reason why no formal boycott has ever been declared.

I suspect that if the disaster had taken place in the last couple of years that both papers would have been covered by the boycott (again this is my personal opinion).

Can I also ask where you ever consulted about Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard's "exclusives" with the paper?

I was at Hillsborough that awful day and subsequently found out that I lost a cousin I never even knew existed. A day never goes past when I don't think about what happened. I applaud you all for keeping the fight for justice going, especially after that rag poisoned national opinion so much so that many in this country are blissfully unaware of what really happened (ignoring indeed Lord Justice Taylor's conclusions).

Many thanks and all the very best,

Colin (aka Kopite on RAOTL).

Quote from: Sheila Coleman (HJC)

Hi Colin,

Like you I consider the NOTW to be the Sunday edition of the Sun and as far as I am aware the people I know at the HJC think the same.

However, it is neither the aim or the role of the HJC to dictate policy to Liverpool supporters. Fans are more than capable of reaching informed decisions by themselves. The current debates on the forums regarding Carragher and the NOTW serve as a clear indication of this.

The HJC reacts and responds to its wide support. The boycott of the Sun is a case in point. The HJC was happy to facilitate the boycott as a direct response to fans requesting such a course of action.

As far as I know the group was never contacted regarding other players writing in the NOTW.

Obviously this current debate will be discussed at the next meeting of the HJC.

I think it is worth pointing out that Jamie Carragher (and his family) has been the one Liverpool player who stands out as having consistently supported the HJC.

Thanks for your email and your support. I'll print it off and show it at the next meeting as I think it is important that the group keeps on top of the views of people such as yourself.

Best Wishes

Sheila Coleman

HI Sheila,

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask would I be ok putting this, minus your name, on Red All Over The Land's forum please?

Many thanks and all the best,

Colin.

Hi Colin,

That' fine - keep my name in if you want - I,ve not got a problem with that. Also I've spoken to a few people from the group today and I know that broadly speaking we are in agreement.

Keep in touch if there anything else.

Cheers

Sheila

hjcshop@tiscali.co.uk