You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pennant

Brownie

True, there would clearly be an element of risk if we signed him. I've seen him interviewed and he seems to be a sound lad though. He was on Sky Sports at Christmas visiting a kids hospital and he just seemed really nice. He has some baggage, but I'd like to think he is fighting the demons and maturing.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I think drink driving is despicable. It's the epitome of a selfish, "fuck everyone else" attitude. To do it once is immature (although I think that's an extremely generous way of describing behaviour that could easily result in death), but to repeat offend is outrageous and indicative of either a major attitude problem or a major alcohol problem. Either way, I don't want him here.

While i agree about drink driving, i dont think that's something to use as a stick to beat Pennant with.

Like you said, immature and foolish to do it once, which is what he did, right ?

Forgive and move on i think.

Concerning the actual topic, would love it if we signed Pennant, best available option, surely.

Quick, tricky, excellent crosses and by the looks of it, he has a proper workrate too.

I'm thinking that you just can't mean me, since I used quotation marks in one post for err... a quotation and in the second post they are used correctly to indicate that I'm using the term in a particular context rather than it's more general usage. But if you did mean me, then no, I won't. So there.

nope, wasn't you I was on about sweetie. your punctuation is entirely acceptable.

If we can get Simao for a reasonable price he would be my first choice. Against the Mancs at their place he was so good, pacey, intelligent and direct. Good option for free kicks too. Rather than teeing it up for Gerrard or Riise to whack only to be blocked by a charger, or wasting it for no reason at all (I have a real problem with some of our set-piece routines) Simao can stoke it into the top corner.

Pennant has similar qualities in open play but I think Simao is the more complete player and would fit into the Rafa regime well. Although Pennant looks to have calmed down a bit the La Liga players seem to be more balanced professionals and I reckon the Portuguese are probably the same.

In any event this whole right side of midfield situation is pissing me off, it seems like a perpetual problem, there is always some position that needs sorting to make us "the finished article".

Hope we sign someone in the summer and have done with it, Gerrard is great out there but we need him in the middle for most games.

Pennant would not be the dearest option and we do need an out an out right midfielder. Which would leave a bit of dough for up front, we not only think of who we want but who we can afford and at the right price other possibility is Shaun Right how much etc etc so for me Pennant would be a good option alright he fucked up twice did the crime did the time and must admit if true was good his repayment of Birmingham standing by him are you reading Joey Barton

Because I think drink driving is despicable. It's the epitome of a selfish, "fuck everyone else" attitude.

Paul. Obviously I understand, indeed agree with the point that you're making.

However, I take issue with the semantics of it. Drink driving on public roads, with a passenger in the car, or in any situation where you are likely to harm others is clearly despicable.

Drink driving itself (especially when viewed through the haze of a handful of Stellas) is tremendously good fun, which is exactly why people do it. ;)

While i agree about drink driving, i dont think that's something to use as a stick to beat Pennant with.

Like you said, immature and foolish to do it once, which is what he did, right ?

Forgive and move on i think.

Concerning the actual topic, would love it if we signed Pennant, best available option, surely.

Quick, tricky, excellent crosses and by the looks of it, he has a proper workrate too.

No it's not. He was jailed for doing it while banned for his first offence. And let's face it, if he's been caught twice, he's almost certainly done it many other times and got away with it.

On the issue of forgiveness, I'm all for it when it's earned. However, I'm not sure that having a half-decent season for Birmingham City counts in terms of proving you're not an alcohol-fuelled tit.

No it's not. He was jailed for doing it while banned for his first offence. And let's face it, if he's been caught twice, he's almost certainly done it many other times and got away with it.

On the issue of forgiveness, I'm all for it when it's earned. However, I'm not sure that having a half-decent season for Birmingham City counts in terms of proving you're not an alcohol-fuelled tit.

So he got caught twice for drunk driving ?

That really is bad.

As Paul said, how many other times has he driven pissed up.

No difference than putting a blindfold on and wandering around with a six-shooter. Everybody makes mistakes, but only a tit makes the same one twice.

Yeah, some people need a proper fuckin eye opener for them to realise the wrong of their ways. And some never seem to learn.

Pennant should have learned his lesson by now, if not then it's quite outrageous.

Anyway, for his quality on the pitch i would want us to sign him.

Yeah, some people need a proper fuckin eye opener for them to realise the wrong of their ways. And some never seem to learn.

Pennant should have learned his lesson by now, if not then it's quite outrageous.

Anyway, for his quality on the pitch i would want us to sign him.

Don't you think some things are more important than a player's talent?

Jan Molby,

I knew some half-eyed balloon would type that. Your name at the top of the post wasn't the greatest surprise of my day Rash.

I don't recall Molby doing it again once he'd been given his lesson. Furthermore, the player was already with us; Pennant isn't. If you have a player on your books with a problem, you help him deal with it. However, you also try your best not to bring in players with problems - unless you're Sam Allardyce. Have you found yet another model for the running of our club, Rash?

Guest Pablo-B

Thought the karate kick to the corner flag showed a real petulance. Not something I would have expected at Anfield from a supposed 'massive' Liverpool fan (which I think is bollocks by the way)

Thought Pennant was excellent against us and again yesterday when i watched the highlights he was the best player on the park. Wasn't really for us trying to sign him a few weeks ago but i'm coming round. Seems to have added an end product, his crossing was spot on yesterday.

Thought Pennant was excellent against us and again yesterday when i watched the highlights he was the best player on the park. Wasn't really for us trying to sign him a few weeks ago but i'm coming round. Seems to have added an end product, his crossing was spot on yesterday.

Same here. Thought he was excellent yesterday and you are right, his decision-making is excellent. He doesn't have to put the fullback on his backside to put in a quality ball.

Same here. Thought he was excellent yesterday and you are right, his decision-making is excellent. He doesn't have to put the fullback on his backside to put in a quality ball.

Exactly, and that is absolutely crucial for a winger of good quality.

Just half a yard of space and he'll whip it in.

As a footballer he fits the bill perfectly.

Quick, tricky, good work rate and very good crosser, basically the only downside as a footballer is his size, but that dont seem to give him much trouble.

His off the pitch antics is a worry, but he should have learned his lesson by now.

And i dont think Rafa will sign him without making sure of that.