You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC version 2003-04

johnb

At least there is some honesty left. But this is how low we've sunk people. Even the PLAYERS realise it. There's only one believer left if the truth be known...

Stevie's comments after the game:

Gerrard said: "Middlesbrough is a difficult place to come but if you want to win the title or be up there then you have to win games like this.

"We have to be realistic now and a top-four finish is the best we can hope for and we have to get a top-four finish. We have just dropped too many points to consider ourselves realistic title challengers and obviously that is a huge disappointment.

"We have to aim for fourth. That would give us the financial clout that we need for next season. We have got to get into the Champions League to get up and get into the right position for this football club.

"We started the season with real hopes. It has been a real let-down that we are in this position but if you are realistic you have to say it has just not happened on the pitch on a consistent basis."

I love Stevie. He is a great player and unlike some others at the club, tells it how it is without trying to hide the obvious with bullshit.

It is a pleasure to hear someone telling the truth and stating the obvious, but reading his quote does give you that sinking feeling. I still say give Houllier to the end of the season but right now I'm fucking angry with him because I blame him entirely. Wasted opportunities. Wasted players. Wasted talent. Wasted time.

Football is a team game, Gerrard and Owen were part of the team that failed last season and their loss of form during the season was a major factor in that failure. This "Were not good enough but it's not my fault" attitude does them no favours. They are as guilty as anybody and that includes Houllier.

Do you hear Roy Keane blaming anybody else when Utd fail in the Champions League? He accepts his share, if Owen and Gerrard can't accept there share then they can leave as far as I'm concerned. I'm getting pissed off withn their attitude.

Well im must I was gutted as well after saturday, but strangely not suprised. Everyone involved in the club bar one person seems to realise where we are and where were going, stevie g. was as always honest after the game and you heart just has to go out to the guy. Have to say im very concerned about the imediate future, birmingham and newcastle will be very difficult to beat on current form and that could bring us into the bottom half of the table.

:(

If we dont get at least 4 points from the next two the I might just let the hypocrite in me race to the surface and call for Houllier's head. If he cannot even bring us 4th place then let's look for someone who can. If the season becomes COMPLETELY lost and we are to be embarrassed for another season then perhaps the board should think about building for the future starting now...

Oh yes, and I disagree with Hermes. Yes they are part of a team, and their own poor performances did not help, but I don't agree that they were a "major factor" or that they were "as guilty as Houllier".

The WHOLE team were crap for MOST of the season. There's no way a whole team should have such a lengthy dip in performance. Something was wrong. Houllier's face said it. His embarrassing excuses said it. When a whole team plays that poorly you have to ask the person in charge why.

There were too many rumours circulating about unhappy players last season falling out with GH. If the damage has already been done for Houllier then can it actually get any better?

We may have had SOME better performances this season and perhaps some bad luck, but that same feeling that something is not right behind the scenes is still there. Houlliers face still says it as do his embarrassing excuses.

Yes, it was a shit result, on the back of other shit results. However, it was nowhere near a full strength team. Judge this side when it's had a run of ten or so games at much nearer full strength, rather than the current rag-bag of half-fit first teamers and squad players.

Houllier has got until the end of the season. He'll go if he doesn't get top four, but I don't think that'll happen. Our best eleven players playing this more attack-orientated style will challenge hard for the title.

Guest Bellflower

"Challenge hard for the title" isn't going to happen. look at the points gap, the top 3 aren't going to drop enough points to let us back in, and we are incapable of going on a 15-20 game unbeaten run which we probably need just to get near 4th place. If they don't out GH now all we will get is more variations on seagulls and trawlers ( must be some kind of french literary affliction ). Get someone in NOW, use the rest of the season to get sorted, pick up what we can in the cups, not wait until the middle of July and expect some poor soul to get it sorted by August

Guest Original202

I dont think Gerrard is blaming everyone except himslef as such. I'm sure he accepts responsibility as well.

I do think its interesting in the difference between GH and Stevies comments. For example after Portsmouth, GH came out with the usual excuses (maybe to protect the players) whereas Gerrard just came out and said "we werent good enough". I'd have a lot more respect for Houllier if he stopped coming out with these awful excuses and started telling it as is it.