You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Edwards Return Confirmed

31 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's a leak from inside the club. It doesn't matter who it's coming from. It's fucking shithouse tricks. And Edwards runs football for FSG. He wants the big boy pants, so he has to take the responsibility that goes with it - it's his house, keep it in order. 

Yes. Which was partly my point when he returned to the club in a more powerful position. It was okay before for him to embrace all of that shadowy 'man of mystery' aura. It isn't now. That's not how LFC works. He's one of those at the club who have a responsibility to front up and support the manager and players and engage with the fans. Before he could pretty much decide for himself how semi-detached he would be, allowing the credit to come his way, deservedly or not, while leaving Klopp to take any flak if anything went wrong. Now he's there to be shot at, just like his manager, and whether it's him or someone else enaging in the dark arts, he has to see that it stops.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

A fair bit of the leak suggests that the data nerds wanted to sign an even worse option. Not sure how that benefits Edwards, given that he’s pioneered much of the numbers stuff. Seems an odd accusation.

It is an odd accusation. But it's out there regardless. This type of internal sniping in public had been pretty much binned for the time klopp was here. But it was all too apparent before and many of the same individuals from those days are still around or have just returned. It needs to be nipped in the bud right now. It's the wrong culture and it's not just about who's responsible for each signing. That type of thing infects everywhere through to the players, managers, staff - fuck this blame culture right off. It's negative shit. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

It is an odd accusation. But it's out there regardless. This type of internal sniping in public had been pretty much binned for the time klopp was here. But it was all too apparent before and many of the same individuals from those days are still around or have just returned. It needs to be nipped in the bud right now. It's the wrong culture and it's not just about who's responsible for each signing. That type of thing infects everywhere through to the players, managers, staff - fuck this blame culture right off. It's negative shit. 

Fair enough. 

Unfortunately, the Klopp era was probably the exception over the last 25 years or so in terms of the leaks and backbiting when the team struggled (or when Rafa, as much as I love the man, was just being Rafa!)

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Fair enough. 

Unfortunately, the Klopp era was probably the exception over the last 25 years or so in terms of the leaks and backbiting when the team struggled (or when Rafa, as much as I love the man, was just being Rafa!)

But we don't need to throw away that culture. We need to embrace it and ensure it is not the exception, it's what is expected from LFC. The unity klopp brought across the entire club was probably the greatest thing he brought. It started day 1 when he arrived. He's not out the door yet and we're seeing signs of that bullshit. If it's Edwards, he needs his arse kicked. If it's someone in his empire, he needs to put his house in order. We shouldn't embrace mediocrity on the pitch and we shouldn't embrace it off the pitch. 

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

But we don't need to throw away that culture. We need to embrace it and ensure it is not the exception, it's what is expected from LFC. The unity klopp brought across the entire club was probably the greatest thing he brought. It started day 1 when he arrived. He's not out the door yet and we're seeing signs of that bullshit. If it's Edwards, he needs his arse kicked. If it's someone in his empire, he needs to put his house in order. We shouldn't embrace mediocrity on the pitch and we shouldn't embrace it off the pitch. 

We’ll see. What Klopp brought is so rare, though, especially these days.

9 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We’ll see. What Klopp brought is so rare, though, especially these days.

I'm not saying it won't happen. I'm saying it shouldn't be allowed to happen. It's the point of setting a culture. In fact I have zero faith that Edwards has any idea how important that is. 

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm not saying it won't happen. I'm saying it shouldn't be allowed to happen. It's the point of setting a culture. In fact I have zero faith that Edwards has any idea how important that is. 

Corner the speccy git in the Morrison’s garage next to Anfield, and explain it to him Baz.

• Haha 1