You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard can win title at Anfield - El Tel

Rashid

VENABLES: STEVIE CAN WIN THE TITLE AT ANFIELD

Paul Rogers 13 December 2004

Former England and Barcelona coach Terry Venables has spoken out about his lifelong admiration for LFC and urged Steven Gerrard to give the club another couple of seasons to get back to where they belong - as English football's top dogs.

Venables insists he would have jumped at the chance to either play for or manage the Mighty Reds and believes that the club captain would be mad to walk away with the club on the brink of returning to the glory days of the past.

"I've always had a soft spot for Liverpool," claims Venables. "As a player they were one of the clubs I always fancied and as a manager there couldn't have been many bigger honours than to have taken charge at Anfield.

"The fans there are among the most appreciative in football, always ready to greet you with that mischievous sense of humour.

"Even a Cockney like me was made to feel welcome - 'All right, Terry lad!' - whenever I walked to the dug-out, even if that was to lull me into a false sense of security as they obviously wanted their team to win.

"There is a tremendous honesty about the club and, of course, they have such an incredible history of success. They deserve to be right back up there and it looks that if they can get just a little more consistency they will be there.

"That incredible comeback in midweek keeps them in the Champions League and that is why Steven Gerrard, one of the best midfielders in Europe, should stay at Anfield, and forget about any thoughts of moving away.

"Sure, Gerrard is hungry for silverware. His talent deserves to be recognised with a Premiership winners' medal or two and maybe even a European Cup success.

"You also can completely understand his fears about time, his frustration that he is approaching his peak years and success is still not quite within reach.

"He can turn it around for Liverpool. Yes, that's a lot of pressure for one man. But with him, Rafael Benitez can bring success back to Anfield. Stevie could take the easy option and move to Chelsea, Real Madrid or Manchester United and no doubt his efforts would be rewarded with silverware.

"There is no doubt that for a footballer, winning a Championship is one of the best feelings you can have. But how much satisfying would it be to bring that success to a club he clearly loves?

"Anyone who doubted that just had to watch his performance on Wednesday. He was ready to bust a gut for Liverpool and dragged them back from the brink by the scruff of the neck. Gerrard is the Liverpool engine and I just hope he remains patient, maybe for a season or two, to be part of the team that will undoubtedly climb back towards the summit."

The Saint weigh in too....

I am delighted the captain of Liverpool wants to win trophies. But doesn't everyone? Don't the manager and the other players want to win trophies? I don't know what Steven is talking about. He has to give the manager a chance: Rafael Benitez has only been in the door two minutes."

Ian St John 12/12/04

The Saint weigh in too....

I am delighted the captain of Liverpool wants to win trophies. But doesn't everyone? YES

Don't the manager and the other players want to win trophies? YES

I don't know what Steven is talking about. He has to give the manager a chance: Rafael Benitez has only been in the door two minutes." AND ALREADY THE EGO HAS TRIED TO FUCKIN LEAVE TWICE - RASH YER ALL OVER ;) THE EGO ,This is as bad as yer pro Fowler days .

Ian St John 12/12/04

Guest desertscouser
Oh and some cockney wide boy with more dodgy dealings than Del boy at OT and we should "accept it and shut up" cos he says so ........right

WTF? It's just an opinion mate by someone who has been in the game for a long time.

No one said to 'accept it and shut up' so I don't know why you've just thrown your toys out of your pram.

Clearly you don't agree with El Tel's opinion or do you? Or do you not have an opinion hence the lack of thought in your response? Which is it Gav?

WTF? It's just an opinion mate by someone who has been in the game for a long time.

No one said to 'accept it and shut up' so I don't know why you've just thrown your toys out of your pram.

Clearly you don't agree with El Tel's opinion or do you? Or do you not have an opinion hence the lack of thought in your response? Which is it Gav?

:wallbutt:

maybe start reading some more of the 5million pro Gerrard bullshit mails posted by rash before goin off on one DS

Guest desertscouser
:wallbutt:

maybe start reading some more of the 5million pro Gerrard bullshit mails posted by rash before goin off on one DS

My apologies for doubting you Gav, I thought your comment was based purely on El Tel's article. :thumbup:

Just out of interest... do you want Stevie to stay or go? Do you love him or hate him?

My apologies for doubting you Gav, I thought your comment was based purely on El Tel's article. :thumbup:

Just out of interest... do you want Stevie to stay or go? Do you love him or hate him?

I think I'd rather he went - This is like deja Vú with Owen last summer - I said the exact same thing

As long as gerrard is with Liverpool FC , the press will never ever let it lie .Ther'll be heartache and pain every xmas, every summer and ther'll be endless "Exclusive stories" .Theres only 2 ways that this shit will stop,SG coming out and saying that he's just signed a 4 year extension on his conmtract and wants to remain at anfield till the end of his career, or He fucks off and joins whichever shower is the media darlings at the time.It's currently IFHC ,but already some of the manc owned tabloid pricks have started the manc whisperings .

SG has had ample opertunity to say anything remotely like he wants to stay even when asked the question directly ...thats says it all really.

Plus those cnuts at SFX will never let it drop either.Their MD can smell another humongus payday from IFHC

Only thing I can't get my head around is the extension he signed

Re El dodge.... wouldn't believe him if he told me that A football is round , cos guarantee he has some "angle" in it ;)

Guest desertscouser
I think I'd rather he went - This is like deja Vú with Owen last summer - I said the exact same thing

As long as gerrard is with Liverpool FC , the press will never ever let it lie .Ther'll be heartache and pain every xmas, every summer and ther'll be endless "Exclusive stories" .Theres only 2 ways that this shit will stop,SG coming out and saying that he's just signed a 4 year extension on his conmtract and wants to remain at anfield till the end of his career, or He fucks off and joins whichever shower is the media darlings at the time.It's currently IFHC ,but already some of the manc owned tabloid pricks have started the manc whisperings .

SG has had ample opertunity to say anything remotely like he wants to stay even when asked the question directly ...thats says it all really.

Plus those cnuts at SFX will never let it drop either.Their MD can smell another humongus payday from IFHC

Only thing I can't get my head around is the extension he signed

Re El dodge.... wouldn't believe him if he told me that A football is round , cos guarantee he has some "angle" in it ;)

Fair enough mate. I think alot of reds feel the same way you do but I'm on the other side of the fence. Regardless of his mutterings I want him to stay. Don't get me wrong, his comments were ill timed and they fcuked me off a great deal but I will not condemn our best player until he says categorically I'm off or if he hands in a transfer request. As soon as that happens I will turn on him and he will probably become one of my most hated players of all time. The prime example of from hero to zero.

For what it's worth though my gut feeling says he will be off in the summer and if he does go then I hope we get as much money as possible for him (and the whole lot is given to Rafa to spend) and we sell him to Real or any other club abroad.

Fair enough mate. I think alot of reds feel the same way you do but I'm on the other side of the fence. Regardless of his mutterings I want him to stay. Don't get me wrong, his comments were ill timed and they fcuked me off a great deal but I will not condemn our best player until he says categorically I'm off or if he hands in a transfer request. As soon as that happens I will turn on him and he will probably become one of my most hated players of all time. The prime example of from hero to zero.

For what it's worth though my gut feeling says he will be off in the summer and if he does go then I hope we get as much money as possible for him (and the whole lot is given to Rafa to spend) and we sell him to Real or any other club abroad.

I'd love for him to stay.He's one of the best midfielders I've seen since Keane in his hayday and he has sooo fuckin much more.Thats why I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after the summer.He really hurt us and 2-3 weeks of hell can't be forgtton .I said fuck it ,he'll no longer be my hero,he's a player ,but I reckon it's gonna be non-stop crap from now till he signs the dotted line .It won't be Madrid,the local press over there are already pissed off with all the brits .It'll be whoever the press "decide" to throw in with .At the mo its IFHC with their gazillionaire but theres more and more little SG to mancland stories croppin up,so wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there

I'd love for him to stay.He's one of the best midfielders I've seen since Keane in his hayday and he has sooo fuckin much more.Thats why I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after the summer.He really hurt us and 2-3 weeks of hell can't be forgtton .I said fuck it ,he'll no longer be my hero,he's a player ,but I reckon it's gonna be non-stop crap from now till he signs the dotted line .It won't be Madrid,the local press over there are already pissed off with all the brits .It'll be whoever the press "decide" to throw in with .At the mo its IFHC with their gazillionaire but theres more and more little SG to mancland stories croppin up,so wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there

I'd sooner see him in mancland, I mean if you're going to to a Judas Fuckflump you mays as well flump all the way. Fkcu Chelsea, fcuk 'em all. Build a team of players who want to be here. RM are going to win SFA this season, so they'll be in for bid.

I've said I hope he stays. But the summer, and his Olymp. pre-match comments says he doesn't care/want/deisre to stay. Hope he keeps banging in winners, leads us to some glory this year, and then the de-facto captain can take the armband in the summer.

It'll never end, as the gavver' says, until he signs an extension for life or hands in a transfer request.

I couldn't give a fuck about the context of the interview (The Ego), but the sentiments are great. Sincere words of praise from Venables there which makes a pleasant change from all the usual bitter anti-Liverpool twats in and around the game.