You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, Code said:

I doubt we will sell «our future» to a new manager by telling him that he will not be allowed to buy any new players in the summer. 

Dunno if not allowed is the right phrase here. Or certainly not what I was saying. It's just the squad looks better than it did because of the development of quansah and Bradley. I think they'll both be genuine 1st team squad players next year, in 2 positions which were probably most in need of attention, certainly for squad depth. The #6 position is another question, but I think it probably depends on what the new manager wants there. Again, there might be a solution in the squad with Trent if he doesn't want endo or macca. 

If it does end up being Xabi, who might he want to bring from Leverkusen ?

I personally would be happy in summer to just replace Joel & Thiago with quality. Their leaving would bring the thick end of £350k per week to the table.

15 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I personally would be happy in summer to just replace Joel & Thiago with quality. Their leaving would bring the thick end of £350k per week to the table.

Diaby from Villa maybe?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

image.png

Read that we are interested but now stuck and can't do anything without a sporting director or coach to make the call. We at least need to get the sporting director done ASAP. 

21 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Thiago doesn't need replaced with the numbers we have and the youth players just behind them. 

It depends on what formation a new coach wants to play. If it's a back 4 again nobody assuming the CBs stay. Virg,Konate, Quansah and Gomez gives us 4 good options. Trent/Bradley and Robbo/Tsmiskas is fine. If it was xabi 3421 he plays at Leverkusen and at the end of his day's with Sociedad B team then another CB would be needed. Virg and Quansah could play where Tah plays as the central of the 3. Konate on the right, Gomez on the left. Another left sided option makes the most sense as Gomez can play wide on either side. Hincapie/Tapsoba are his LCB. 

I think the squad is really complete unless anyone leaves. If Mo wanted to go I could see them looking at Wirtz

On 28/01/2024 at 11:44, Code said:

Yes probably a good move that, he’s just 18, he needs playing time. 

Sounds like he's broken, failed medical at Brentford with loose cartilage in his knee and a persistent back issue.

EDIT - Never mind already been posted.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Depends on how the system changes to accommodate the players we have but the obvious ones, based on our squad at the moment, would be Tapsoba or Hincapie at centreback, Frimpong if they decided Trent was going to be a midfielder and the crown jewel would be Wirtz although it would be a huge outlay for a player in an area we're well stocked which makes it unlikely.

I think raiding his former club for most of his signings would be met with the same skepticism as Ten Haag, Klopp didn't sign anyone from his former club or many players from Germany in general for the amount of time he was here.

• Upvote 1

As someone else pointed out the 3-4-2-1 xabi plays isn’t actually positionally too different to how we actually end up in possession now, I’m sure we’ve already for the players to play it. You might get another cb if matip goes but that’s probably about it. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, etho said:

As someone else pointed out the 3-4-2-1 xabi plays isn’t actually positionally too different to how we actually end up in possession now, I’m sure we’ve already for the players to play it. You might get another cb if matip goes but that’s probably about it. 

It's also not the formation we may play here as he doesn't seem too wedded to a particular formation as long as the concepts he's trying to instill still work within whatever formation he deems best for the players we have. He's playing 3 at the back at the moment but he's also played 4 at the back at Sociedad and Leverkusen.

2 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Every time I've seen Hincapie play he's looked rubbish.

Never seen him play, but I have seen quite a few people saying what you have. Actually, if he played at the weekend then I have seen him, but I had the sound down and wasn't paying too much attention.

As for that Frimpong, I was looking forward to seeing him but his finishing on Saturday took me back to when Stuart Barlow was at Everton!

We don't need anyone to play on the right anyway, even if Trent moves into midfield full time we've got Gomez and Brsdley.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

It's also not the formation we may play here as he doesn't seem too wedded to a particular formation as long as the concepts he's trying to instill still work within whatever formation he deems best for the players we have. He's playing 3 at the back at the moment but he's also played 4 at the back at Sociedad and Leverkusen.

nice clip that and totally right, he might well keep our formation as long as it works for the principles of play which are fundamentally based on pressing, even if the actions in possession are slightly different (although we are a possession based team now really rather than the ‘heavy metal’ of early Klopp)

nuts figures

Wasn't Gallagher unwanted last summer and i think they only wanted 30-40ml for him then. 

He's a decent player but i can see Chelsea having to this every time they want a new spending spree

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

nuts figures

Wasn't Gallagher unwanted last summer and i think they only wanted 30-40ml for him then. 

He's a decent player but i can see Chelsea having to this every time they want a new spending spree

Chelsea expect to have to pay out extra on top of any fee they receive for Gallagher.