You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Death. What happens.

Poor Scouser T

I get it is a good laugh and I have no spirituality in any part of me whatso ever, but is it all nonsense. Myths usually have a foundation in some form of truth, however tenuous.

I'm not suggesting the God myth is true or any of the other religious bollocks is fact but that there is simply more to this than we realise. Simulation or otherwise. Are we dead and gone? Or does our consciousness survive death. I may be off the mark but a couple of billion Asian folk have it at the center of their belief system.

Years ago we were at the old people's home when the wife's granddad died. We watched him take his last breaths. This is not quite on topic, but seeing someone alive one second and NOT alive the next second really is something. He looked different - his life or consciousness or whatever you call it - as soon as he stopped breathing he wasn't there. Hard to explain. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Death scares the hell out of me because I cannot get my head around 'nothing'

Did the 14 billion years of nothing before you were born bother you?

Our bodies die and decay, but our atoms and the energy that is within us becomes part of something else and will continue to exist until the end of time.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Years ago we were at the old people's home when the wife's granddad died. We watched him take his last breaths. This is not quite on topic, but seeing someone alive one second and NOT alive the next second really is something. He looked different - his life or consciousness or whatever you call it - as soon as he stopped breathing he wasn't there. Hard to explain. 

Brave to say mate. Can easily be called a loony for even thinking things that we don't get.

I don't for one second even pretend to understand what we are, where we are or where we end up. Are we more significant than a worm, I doubt it but our sense of who we are does surely give us the right to question it. Ask the questions. I fear it it will be futile but hope not.

8 minutes ago, M_B said:

Did the 14 billion years of nothing before you were born bother you?

Our bodies die and decay, but our atoms and the energy that is within us becomes part of something else and will continue to exist until the end of time.

What else? Is consciousness an energy? Where does that go?

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Not the same but similar, my daughter has had dreams about my Grandad, who she never met. 

Cut a long story short, he died of bowl cancer a couple of weeks before she was born. She would be his first great grandchild. 

We have a photo of Grandad, my wife and I from our wedding day in our living room and one day Alice just looked at it and started crying. When we asked he what was wrong, she said she couldn’t really understand what he was saying (he had a thick mumbling Scottish accent) but he visited her in a dream and told her he tried all he could to hang on to meet her, it kept him going so he could meet her, he did the best he could but couldn’t hold on any longer.

I still don’t believe in the afterlife etc but again, I don’t think Alice would make something like that up. Think she was 4 at the time. We’ve had to move the photo because she still gets upset looking at it. 

My daughter met my Nan a couple of times when she was a tiny baby and my Nan was in a care home with dementia but came out to my mum and dads for a birthday meal or two.

a few years later she died when my daughter was nearly two and a few weeks later my girl woke from sleeping and was making some noise so we went up to her room and she said, calm as you like, that “nanny is in the corner of her room”. She’d never referred to anyone as nanny, but that’s how we referred to my Nan, and it’s inexplicably weird.

I still believe it ends with darkness and nothing though.

21 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Agree with this - similar but a bit different. My dad died 5 years ago almost. It was a long time coming - he was in a hospice and went into a coma-like sleep which we thought would last for a day or two, but which ended up going on for the best part of two weeks. I’d tried to stay there all the time but just couldn’t face it, horrible to watch him basically just waste away in front of me so I went in every day for a couple of hours and then went home in between while my sister and stepmum stayed with him. Anyway I get the phone call from my sister in the middle of the night saying he’d just went - and I went straight there. I’d only seen him at 7pm and he’d only been gone about 20 minutes but when I went in it just wasn’t him. Looked like him but just, wasn’t. Like you say, hard to explain.

13 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

What else? Is consciousness an energy? Where does that go?

Consciousness is a function of the brain and is extinguished when the brain dies. Energy is fuel, not a conduit of consciousness, else we'd all experience out of body moments in the gym.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Manny said:

Agree with this - similar but a bit different. My dad died 5 years ago almost. It was a long time coming - he was in a hospice and went into a coma-like sleep which we thought would last for a day or two, but which ended up going on for the best part of two weeks. I’d tried to stay there all the time but just couldn’t face it, horrible to watch him basically just waste away in front of me so I went in every day for a couple of hours and then went home in between while my sister and stepmum stayed with him. Anyway I get the phone call from my sister in the middle of the night saying he’d just went - and I went straight there. I’d only seen him at 7pm and he’d only been gone about 20 minutes but when I went in it just wasn’t him. Looked like him but just, wasn’t. Like you say, hard to explain.

Not to press on a terrible event but what was it? The skin, the eyes or something deeper? 

A logical approach would suggest circulation changes, hormone release, etc but do you have any other thoughts?

20 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Yes agreed but how to explain experiences of people who are clinically brain dead.

No idea, but the brain is a very complex thing. I would imagine it is difficult to determine exactly how it reacts during death or when we return from near death, and I would be very dubious about anyone's account of death.

Edit: I would also be very cautious of reported experiences as witnesses may have financial/religious/ego related reasons for reporting a fantastical story. Trump, for example, would meet god and god would ask him for advice on how to run the universe.

1 minute ago, M_B said:

No idea, but the brain is a very complex thing. I would imagine it is difficult to determine exactly how it reacts during death or when we return from near death, and I would be very dubious about anyone's account of death.

I totally agree. The brain is more complex than we can imagine. Which in some way makes it more bizarre that it would react in a way that is sympathetic to the self. Make us feel good when shutting down. Does it know we are done before the bodies systems and says fuck it lets go out on a high.

I would have thought that the bodies control system would fight to the last. Unless it knows something the self does not. Again consciousness taking control.

This is of course bollocks with no foundation in anything like evidence but the brain telling us to pack it in goes against any survival instinct.