You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Post Your Sandwich Thread

Bjornebye

11 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Anyone else voting that Howie should give up a life in the sun (surely he’s bored of the it by now), move to Liverpool, and open a sandwich shop?

There was a bread/sandwich shop that opened near me a few years back called the ‘Bread Boutique’.

Wall to wall artisan loaves and incredible sandwich’s, only problem being the guy refused to pre make them and would make them from scratch every time.

He did a lovely Ruben with loads of odds and sods, but it would legitimately take ten minutes to make which meant that other customers would just walk out because they were sick of waiting. 

Miss that place and the guys complete refusal to compromise in the face of financial ruin.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

There was a bread/sandwich shop that opened near me a few years back called the ‘Bread Boutique’.

Wall to wall artisan loaves and incredible sandwich’s, only problem being the guy refused to pre make them and would make them from scratch every time.

He did a lovely Ruben with loads of odds and sods, but it would legitimately take ten minutes to make which meant that other customers would just walk out because they were sick of waiting. 

Miss that place and the guys complete refusal to compromise in the face of financial ruin.

Art for Art's sake.

• 1 month later...

What does "All The Way" (as it pertains to burger/hotdog toppings) mean in your restaurant, and where are you located?

I noticed that it varies regionally, and even by institution. I'm interested to hear everybody's take on it.

I'm from a rural southern state in the US, and in several places I've worked "all the way" means chili, mustard, onion, and red slaw (sometimes called BBQ slaw here). I've also worked in places where "all the way" meant put every single fucking thing you can on it, and others where it meant mayo, pickle, lettuce, tomato, and onion.

I live in Rhode Island and all the way only means one thing here and that’s how you want your wieners. Meat sauce, mustard, onion, celery salt.

In Europe you'd get a confused and slightly annoyed look.

33 minutes ago, Anubis said:

What does "All The Way" (as it pertains to burger/hotdog toppings) mean in your restaurant, and where are you located?

I noticed that it varies regionally, and even by institution. I'm interested to hear everybody's take on it.

I'm from a rural southern state in the US, and in several places I've worked "all the way" means chili, mustard, onion, and red slaw (sometimes called BBQ slaw here). I've also worked in places where "all the way" meant put every single fucking thing you can on it, and others where it meant mayo, pickle, lettuce, tomato, and onion.

I live in Rhode Island and all the way only means one thing here and that’s how you want your wieners. Meat sauce, mustard, onion, celery salt.

In Europe you'd get a confused and slightly annoyed look.

If you want your wiener all the way in this country you'd better be prepared for a forced removal from the fast food emporium and and above the waist picture in the Echo.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Italian beef from Mr Beef 

It doesn’t look that appetising but good it was good. Whole thing dipped in beef dripping 

8/10 

IMG_4342.jpeg

IMG_4340.jpeg

I've had something that looked similar from his wife, Mrs Beef.

4/10.  Then 2/10.

21 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

It doesn’t look that appetising but good it was good. Whole thing dipped in beef dripping 

8/10 

IMG_4342.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg

IMG_4340.jpeg

IMG_4342.jpeg

IMG_4342.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg

IMG_4340.jpeg

Is that the place in Chicago that inspired The Bear? Decent, very fucken decent.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

8/10 

IMG_4342.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg

IMG_4340.jpeg

IMG_4342.jpeg

IMG_4342.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg

IMG_4340.jpeg

It's a complete mystery to me why a fair amount of the US population are obese when I see their sandwiches and how they are prepared. 

Their sarnies have more calories and fat contents than most countries traditional three course meals.

1 hour ago, Karl_b said:

Is that the place in Chicago that inspired The Bear? Decent, very fucken decent.

It’s where the first season was filmed mate the exact place 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It's a complete mystery to me why a fair amount of the US population are obese when I see their sandwiches and how they are prepared. 

Their sarnies have more calories and fat contents than most countries traditional three course meals.

They like their food mate but I was only saying last night that every fucker seems to be slim in Chicago! Except me of course apart from my flamingo legs etc 

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

They like their food mate but I was only saying last night that every fucker seems to be slim in Chicago! Except me of course apart from my flamingo legs etc 

Must be poor public transport so they walk everywhere. Or as the weather can get bad they need to stay on the move.

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

What are you doing in Chicago?