You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Post Your Sandwich Thread

Bjornebye

33 minutes ago, an tha said:

Not mine but wantred to share this absolutely magnificent work of art...

76328933-12609735-image-m-17_16968415653

Sarnies like that always look better than they actually are. Same with these massive double cheeseburgers. Nothing wrong with the taste but you cannot eat them whole. You either nibble or use a knife and fork. I don't want to eat a sarnie or a burger with a knife and fork. that's the point of them. I've stopped making huge burgers and do two small singles, much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Sandwich expert on... er, sandwiches- https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/nov/01/from-compressed-yeast-to-cream-cheese-and-cornflakes-one-mans-search-for-the-worlds-greatest-sandwich

These are his best and worst-

Top 5 sandwiches

Tomato (from the 2022 cookbook by New Orleans sandwich shop Turkey and the Wolf): sliced tomato with salt and pepper, salted roasted sunflower seeds, dill, basil, lemon juice, mayonnaise. “Recent history, and easily the most delicious vegetarian sandwich I’ve ever had. I’ve made it three times off-camera. It has no business being that good.”

Reuben sandwich (1930s): corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese with Russian dressing (mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup and other ingredients) on toasted rye bread. “It was created in the midwest and it is just fantastic, delicious and wonderful.”

Pan bagnat (originating in Nice, France): tomato, cucumber, red onion, rocket and radish, with a vinaigrette dressing with oregano and marjoram. Fill a baguette, add sliced egg, tuna and anchovies. Leave overnight, wrapped and weighed down, in the fridge. “It’s like a salade niçoise in bread. Everything soaks into the bread and it’s just so good.”

Rou jia mo (circa 200BC): beef marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, cumin, fennel seed, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, and served in a bun with onions and ground ginger. “There are so many different seasonings, and it’s so delicious and flavourful.”

Superb club sandwich (1974): prawns, mayonnaise, condensed mushroom soup, grated cheese, baked until cheese melts. “You feel like it’s not great for you, but it’s tasty.”

And the five worst

Yeast sandwich (1936): a block of compressed fresh yeast, mixed with Worcestershire sauce. “It was not good.”

Oyster sandwich (1909): chopped up raw oysters, olive oil and Worcestershire sauce, with lettuce. “It was a slimy mess, so gross. No.”

Farmer’s egg sandwich (1912): hard boiled eggs, with homemade vinegary mayonnaise. “The reason this was terrible was because it said to boil the egg for 30 minutes. I can’t figure out why, but there are other recipes that call for 30 to 45 minutes to boil an egg. It tastes like sulphur.”

Goblin sandwich (1946): toasted chopped Brazil nuts, devilled ham, avocado, Worcestershire sauce, served in a doughnut. “This was weird.”

Cheese sandwich No 2 (1912): pub cheese (a type of cream cheese), parmesan, salt, pepper, anchovy paste and tarragon vinegar. “It doesn’t sound bad – the problem is the amount of salt made it taste like a salt lick. Just awful.”

The missus asked me to make this for her, so I did, but I'm not happy about it.

Toasted white bread with pesto, coleslaw, cheese, tomato, and hot pepper sauce.

oddwich.jpg

Excuse the odd angle, I wanted to catch the full horror.

She said it was "really nice". I'm starting divorce proceedings.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Strontium said:

oddwich.jpg

You've gone down in my estimation here. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

oddwich.jpg

tumblr_mr9l9a6wOC1rg903vo1_250.gif

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

oddwich.jpg

Not pregnant is she SD?

16 hours ago, Strontium said:

oddwich.jpg

Looks terrible.

• 2 weeks later...