You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

3 year transfer ban and 30 point deduction. Like the Saudis or whoever who park their ferraris anywhere in London because the fines are irrelevant. I'd crush them into a cube and remove their right to drive in this country. The punishment must be felt so its a deterrent for other piss takers.

Get well soon.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

Reports from Brazil that West Ham are in for Andre. Offering Fluminese the same fee we did now, but Hammers are willing to wait for him to come in January whereas we wanted him now.

If thats true (big if) I'm guessing Gravenberch is signed instead of Andre. 

4 minutes ago, YNWAViking said:

Bayern wants €30M for Gravenberch. Sounds reasonable.

Hogan "I think I'm comfortable with an offer of €20m as there's a few things I'd like to do with the player first, like add air conditioning and change the kitchen & bathroom".

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Seeing stuff we’re fully after Hincapie now. 

If (I know it’s a big if) we get Gravenberch and Hincapie over the line, regardless of how we got into this position, it’s been a solid window. 

Being honest, if we get those two over the line it's been an excellent window. Macca and Dom are outstanding, Gravenberch and Hincapie are potentially excellent and Endo is a decent squad option.

I liked Hincapie the few times I've seen him. Thought Gravenberch was really good at Ajax. He's hit a wall at Bayern but he could take off with us.

37 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If (I know it’s a big if) we get Gravenberch and Hincapie over the line, regardless of how we got into this position, it’s been a solid window. 

Yeah, if we end the window with 4 new midfielders and a starting quality centre back and being unbeaten in the league then the window is salvaged imo. Doesn’t negate the fact it’s been a shambles like but at least we got there in the end. 

1 hour ago, YNWAViking said:

If thats true (big if) I'm guessing Gravenberch is signed instead of Andre. 

Think Andre has always been an alternative in that 'controller' role as neither fit the 'destroyer' that we were told were the roles the club were looking for in the final two signings.

Whether they'd revisit that in January/next Summer in anticipation of Thiago leaving I don't know.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Gravenberch and Hincapie aren't the calibre of player we should have been going for imo, and we're miles away from unveiling either of them anyway, with only 48 hours left.

I'll refrain from passing judgement fully if they do sign but they're weird targets. We need aggression, ball retention, and constant running as a bare minimum from our midfielders, Gravenberch can be aggressive but doesn't really offer the other things.

If we want a centre back to play where Robertson is playing we'd need a left-sided version of Konate, hopefully more durable, Hincapie isn't that profile. He's nowhere near good enough in the air or in the tackle. Wonderful numbers for ball progression but he'd get eaten alive in a physical duel in the Premier League, plus he's injury prone and is in fact injured right now!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Gravenberch and Hincapie aren't the calibre of player we should have been going for imo, and we're miles away from unveiling either of them anyway, with only 48 hours left.

I'll refrain from passing judgement fully if they do sign but they're weird targets. We need aggression, ball retention, and constant running as a bare minimum from our midfielders, Gravenberch can be aggressive but doesn't really offer the other things.

If we want a centre back to play where Robertson is playing we'd need a left-sided version of Konate, hopefully more durable, Hincapie isn't that profile. He's nowhere near good enough in the air or in the tackle. Wonderful numbers for ball progression but he'd get eaten alive in a physical duel in the Premier League, plus he's injury prone and is in fact injured right now!

I don’t know enough about Hincapie to comment really.

We’ve heard all summer we want a hybrid defender who can cover left back and centre back, which he apparently meets. I do know he’s got a disciplinary problem and was sent off 3 times last season, so he needs to work on that. I know Alonso was praising him highly recently.

On Gravenberch, he’s not impressed me when I’ve seen him either. However, apparently we’ve liked him for years. Reading in The Athletic earlier, he has pace and power and can drive from midfield. IMO, we’re going to try and convert him into another Fabinho type player. 

Although it might have felt like it at times this summer, I’m sure we’ve not just pulled these names out a hat. 

Anyway, let’s see how the next 37 hours unfolds…

16 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Don't think we'll sign Hincapie but is a left sided Konate what we need?

We principally play in a back 4 in the defensive phase, move from 4 to 3 and 3 to 4 in the transitional phases (defence to attack/attack to defence) and play in a 3 in possession (in a 3-2 rest defence) with the left back doubling up as a centre back.

While that all sounds incredibly wanky it does mean the left and right sided players either side of Van Dijk in our three have very different jobs through 3 phases of the game.

5 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

If we want a centre back to play where Robertson is playing we'd need a left-sided version of Konate, hopefully more durable, that's not Hincapie. He's nowhere near good enough in the air or in the tackle. Wonderful numbers for ball progression but he'd get eaten alive in a physical duel in the Premier League, plus he's injury prone and is in fact injured right now!

Hincapie has missed 1 game for his club in the last 2 seasons so I can’t agree that he is injury prone. He is 6 foot tall so not bad but he is a player that we would probably use as a squad man to start with. Only recently moved from left back. 
To clarify he had a muscle injury where he missed 1 game in 21/22 . He also had covid but it fell in the winter break. His lates injury is a broken foot bone done on international duty I think.

The weird thing about the players we're being linked with now is it all feels a bit 'well, we need someone'.

When we signed our midfielders in the first part of the window it felt planned, like we'd been waiting to pounce and we knew where to play them (and they both look excellent). 

Since then it's felt like the opposite, like we're just searching for another midfielder but aren't particularly arsed about who it is, hence the reluctance to pay big or pay what's asked.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The weird thing about the players we're being linked with now is it all feels a bit 'well, we need someone'.

When we signed our midfielders in the first part of the window it felt planned, like we'd been waiting to pounce and we knew where to play them (and they both look excellent). 

Since then it's felt like the opposite, like we're just searching for another midfielder but aren't particularly arsed about who it is, hence the reluctance to pay big or pay what's asked.  

Agree and it begs the question - if Lavia was planned, why the fuck didn't we stump up the £50m that Southampton wanted. Bizarre.

However, for me, even if Endo & Gravenberch were both unplanned its fine as they cannot be worse than last year's Fabinho & Hendo combo even though Fab was showing signs of getting back to some sort of form.

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I don’t know about Hincapie, I don’t agree on  Gravenberch - we’ve been linked with him since the turn of the year and we the stories in May / June was it was a transfer we’d revisit late(r) in the window. 

My main worry on Gravenberch is Bayern don’t agree a fee for Palhinha and call it off.  

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Hasn't Gravenberch been in our crosshairs for a while and we were waiting on Bayern to decide whether they want to sell?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

We've been trying to sign/following Gravenberch for at least 18 months.

The lateness of the interest seems to be entirely on the side of Bayern as they can't agree internally whether they should let him go, despite our seeming desperation to sign.

If you believe reports we've been in pretty consistent dialogue with his representatives and asked to be kept aware of his situation through a decent chunk of last season and throughout this summer.

His name was in their with Mount and Mac Allister at the start of the summer as principle targets. 

What they said.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Scott_M said:

I don’t know about Hincapie, I don’t agree on  Gravenberch - we’ve been linked with him since the turn of the year and we the stories in May / June was it was a transfer we’d revisit late(r) in the window. 

My main worry on Gravenberch is Bayern don’t agree a fee for Palhinha and call it off.  

Fair enough, Gravenberch just sounds like one of these players who's getting touted around to every fucker. 

It blows my mind that we don't have the scouts or network to track down better than what we've got, i.e thin air and crocks like Thiago. 

• Upvote 1