You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

8th.

Captain Turdseye

Realistically we should be focusing on chasing Newcastle down for 4th....they really are not all that IMHO.

Of course Tottenham will fancy doing same and even Chelsea will but for me that should be our aim - i personally do not think we have enough to do it as it stands, but it has to be the aim and who knows.

What we can't do IMO is give up or miss out on top 4 - sadly i feel with these owners it will be used as an excuse to cut transfer and wage budgets and make recovering even harder than it should be.

Until 4th is actually impossible we should still aim for it with still 18 games to go.

I'd rather not have Europa League, after all our crowing and laughing at Utd it would be a massive smack across the chops if roles end up reversed. That said I get the notion of using it for fringe and younger players but knowing us we will go first 11 and cripple everyone.

Our remaining games are tough. We've a fair few of the in-form teams to play. Top 4 looks a very difficult task. I'd feel more comfortable if we were playing with a consistent first team but we're not. There's no fluidity and I'm not even sure Klopp knows how to fix it at the minute. It's no shame to be in the Europa League either. It will be a good experience for some of the younger lads to build on. I'm more concerned about the FSG stance.

We've a game in hand and have to play both sides we're chasing down. Win those and its 4 points. 

Man Utd's amazing run of results that returned to them to global superstars included cup wins against Aston Villa, Burnley, Everton and Charlton, all at home too. Also included in their miraculous rise to the top of the game are narrow 1 goal victories over West Ham, Wolves and Fulham. In summary they're are still a little bit shit. They have also sign Martin Weghorst, an actual donkey.

We don't need to get back to brilliant, just a little less shit than we are and we will make 4th.

23 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Has to be the aim now, right? We’re not getting top four. 

Fuck off that Europa League and Conference nonsense. I’d rather have no Europe and let Kloppo put together a season like the one Arsenal are having now. 

If I had the ability to Neg this, I would. 

19 games and 57 points to play for. Most of the sides above us need to come to Anfield. 

There is no way I'm conceding to a side who use Longstaff, Manquillo, Ritchie regularly and who Calum Wilson is their main striker. 

If we sort our shit out, we'll close the gap sooner than later.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

If I’d said this to you, you’d have negged me straight away, you cunt. 

Negged. 

I’d have definitely ripped your head off.

Anyway, I’ve a spare for Wolves now, Turdseye has already paid for it if anybody wants it…

I’ll drop Grinch a message, see if he wants it.

The Europa League final is in Dublin next year. Nice.

No news on the Conference.

From a selfish point of view, as long as it doesn’t impact attracting players in the summer, I wouldn’t be against a season out of the CL or Europe, it can be a serious drain on the finances.

i still don’t want it to happen or for us to aim for it mind. 

Id be happy to play in the Europa League, but if we end up in the Europa conference that will be beyond embarrasing!

At the very least the Europa League would be a good way to get the likes of Doak and Ramsay plenty of minutes next season.

If we drop out of European football all together it will cause our coefficient ranking to drop down to. 

For most big clubs having a year or two out the big European competition is not usually a total hammer blow - and it does not have to be, but can't help but feel for us it just would be - we'd see our ambition in transfer market reduced even further and there be a load of noise about a 100m hole in our finances etc....

Before we know it we'd be back to shopping a level down, over paying for lower quality players and "unable to attract best/compete with the CL clubs"

It of course should not be the case - but just feels to me with us it would be.

4 minutes ago, J-V said:

If we'd hurry up and sort our shit out and we could get in the top 4 still.

Half the season to go.  A bit more luck with injuries and just a couple of players finding form would put us right in the race. 

I don't think it's gone quite yet but we should know for sure after another four or five league games, if at the point it's obvious then still plenty of time to fuck it off.  I'm one of those who'd rather not finish in a European place unless the CL, due to the toll it takes on a struggling squad. It's all well and good saying we could use the Europa League to blood youngsters etc but it never works out like that.

edit, three league matches until the first leg against Madrid, we should have a better idea then. Five matches until the second leg if we're still in with a shout, we will probably need to make a call then.

17 minutes ago, an tha said:

The other thing about the uefa cup is it could be our easiest route back to the european cup....

Although I'm not saying we should give up on the league, I do think our most realistic way back into the CL for next season is winning it in Istanbul.

Seems like a massive long shot, as the City games have proved, we can be up for it when we want to be and when we are up for it (with Anfield cranked to 11) there are few who'll be able to beat us.