You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I know you are trying to make a point here but given the way GDP and wartime works I am not sure what it is exactly - do you know what the point you are trying to make is?

You being glib again? If so in the words of a lollipop sucking New York detective, don't get cute 

I was right, others, were wrong. Slap dash sanctions without a coherent strategy or thought rarely work, as was said by some at the time. Even factoring in the increased spending Russia invested on war munitions that's now obvious. I believe the leader of the European Union proclaimed Russia would be on its knees in months. Sanctions helped push up our own energy bills and fuel our cost of living crisis. A lot of sanctions are good, such as the components for Russia to make weapons, others have proven counter productive as many predicted. 

Here's how some of American sanctions against China backfired. China are not at war. 

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/how-huawei-s-chipmaker-turned-us-sanctions-into-a-china-success-story-1.2001886.amp.html

8 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I was right, others, were wrong. Slap dash sanctions without a coherent strategy or thought rarely work,

This is going to be rough I know but did you read the BBC article you posted? That's not me being glib, it is an honest question.

I say this because I can tell you definitely read the Twitter responses and certainly were fed the headline via social media but the article you posted does not attribute sanctions being ineffective and, small details, like the words in the article, do not really support what you are hoping they do. 

41 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

This is going to be rough I know but did you read the BBC article you posted? That's not me being glib, it is an honest question.

I say this because I can tell you definitely read the Twitter responses and certainly were fed the headline via social media but the article you posted does not attribute sanctions being ineffective and, small details, like the words in the article, do not really support what you are hoping they do. 

It's not rough although I know it must be rough consistently being wrong for some about he way they thought this war would unfold.  Read the recent report on the broken down peace talks i posted? if you can't understand the way this war has gone then that's a problem for you. The answer to your pathetic question is yes although you could have just quoted the parts you thought backed up your argument but alas here we are having another game of round the houses. If you think sanctions have worked tell it those you couldn't afford to heat their homes through increasing energy and cost of living costs. Or dont they count in armchair general world? 

Anyway here it is again if you missed it. The talks that never happened, the deals that couldn't be struck. You keep painting yourself pretty landscapes. I've got better things to do. 

You seem to have instantly lost any focus when yo, lets just talk about the article you just posted. It will serve the same purpose.

Here it is:

An influential global body has forecast Russia's economy will grow faster than all of the world's advanced economies, including the US, this year.

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) expects Russia to grow 3.2% this year, significantly more than the UK, France and Germany.

Oil exports have "held steady" and government spending has "remained high" contributing to growth, the IMF said.

Overall, it said the world economy had been "remarkably resilient"

"Despite many gloomy predictions, the world avoided a recession, the banking system proved largely resilient, and major emerging market economies did not suffer sudden stops," the IMF said.

The IMF is an international organisation with 190 member countries. They are used by businesses to help plan where to invest, and by central banks, such as the Bank of England to guide its decisions on interest rates.

The group says that the forecasts it makes for growth the following year in most advanced economies, more often than not, have been within about 1.5 percentage points of what actually happens.

Despite the Kremlin being sanctioned over its invasion of Ukraine, the IMF upgraded its January predictions for the Russian economy this year, and said while growth would be lower in 2025, it would be still be higher than previously expected at 1.8%.

Investments from corporate and state owned enterprises and "robustness in private consumption" within Russia had promoted growth alongside strong exports of oil, according to Petya Koeva Brooks, deputy director at the IMF.

Russia is one of the world's biggest oil exporters and in February, the BBC revealed millions of barrels of fuel made from Russian oil were still being imported to the UK despite sanctions.

Away from Russia, the IMF downgraded its forecasts across Europe and for the UK this year, predicting 0.5% growth this year, making the UK the second weakest performer across the G7 group of advanced economies, behind Germany.

The G7 also includes France, Italy, Japan, Canada and the US.

Growth is set to improve to 1.5% in 2025, putting the UK among the top three best performers in the G7, according to the IMF.

However, the IMF said that interest rates in the UK will remain higher than other advanced nations, close to 4% until 2029.

The group expects the UK to have the highest inflation of any G7 economy in 2023 and 2024.

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt said the IMF's figures showed that the UK economy was turning a corner.

"Inflation in 2024 is predicted to be 1.2% lower than before, and over the next six years we are projected to grow faster than large European economies such as Germany or France - both of which have had significantly larger downgrades to short-term growth than the UK," he said.

The last bit is an interesting take on the numbers for sure.

We are assuming you are hip to how GDP works during wartime.

I've bolded the bits of interest and italics are certainly a concern for other G7 countries.

Keep in mind how expensive heating would have been in the UK (notice it is just the UK) if you had held to the sanctions.

You can point out the part where you were right.

15 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It's not rough although I know it must be rough consistently being wrong for some about he way they thought this war would unfold.  Read the recent report on the broken down peace talks i posted? if you can't understand the way this war has gone then that's a problem for you. The answer to your pathetic question is yes although you could have just quoted the parts you thought backed up your argument but alas here we are having another game of round the houses. If you think sanctions have worked tell it those you couldn't afford to heat their homes through increasing energy and cost of living costs. Or dont they count in armchair general world? 

Anyway here it is again if you missed it. The talks that never happened, the deals that couldn't be struck. You keep painting yourself pretty landscapes. I've got better things to do. 

You should really occasionally read the articles you link to, not just their (mis)interpretation on Twitter.

Like the one on negotiations.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You seem to have instantly lost any focus when yo, lets just talk about the article you just posted. It will serve the same purpose.

Here it is:

An influential global body has forecast Russia's economy will grow faster than all of the world's advanced economies, including the US, this year.

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) expects Russia to grow 3.2% this year, significantly more than the UK, France and Germany.

Oil exports have "held steady" and government spending has "remained high" contributing to growth, the IMF said.

Overall, it said the world economy had been "remarkably resilient"

"Despite many gloomy predictions, the world avoided a recession, the banking system proved largely resilient, and major emerging market economies did not suffer sudden stops," the IMF said.

The IMF is an international organisation with 190 member countries. They are used by businesses to help plan where to invest, and by central banks, such as the Bank of England to guide its decisions on interest rates.

The group says that the forecasts it makes for growth the following year in most advanced economies, more often than not, have been within about 1.5 percentage points of what actually happens.

Despite the Kremlin being sanctioned over its invasion of Ukraine, the IMF upgraded its January predictions for the Russian economy this year, and said while growth would be lower in 2025, it would be still be higher than previously expected at 1.8%.

Investments from corporate and state owned enterprises and "robustness in private consumption" within Russia had promoted growth alongside strong exports of oil, according to Petya Koeva Brooks, deputy director at the IMF.

Russia is one of the world's biggest oil exporters and in February, the BBC revealed millions of barrels of fuel made from Russian oil were still being imported to the UK despite sanctions.

Away from Russia, the IMF downgraded its forecasts across Europe and for the UK this year, predicting 0.5% growth this year, making the UK the second weakest performer across the G7 group of advanced economies, behind Germany.

The G7 also includes France, Italy, Japan, Canada and the US.

Growth is set to improve to 1.5% in 2025, putting the UK among the top three best performers in the G7, according to the IMF.

However, the IMF said that interest rates in the UK will remain higher than other advanced nations, close to 4% until 2029.

The group expects the UK to have the highest inflation of any G7 economy in 2023 and 2024.

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt said the IMF's figures showed that the UK economy was turning a corner.

"Inflation in 2024 is predicted to be 1.2% lower than before, and over the next six years we are projected to grow faster than large European economies such as Germany or France - both of which have had significantly larger downgrades to short-term growth than the UK," he said.

The last bit is an interesting take on the numbers for sure.

We are assuming you are hip to how GDP works during wartime.

I've bolded the bits of interest and italics are certainly a concern for other G7 countries. You can point out the part where you were right.

Now if you'd have posted that instead of your silly little sly post you'd have had a more polite response. Instead you derailed the thread. If you can't recall the predictions and posturing when sanctions were being announced on Russia I can't help you. 

It is intresting that Britain is still importing oil from Russia although its been a poorly guarded secret. After all the posturing and then the destruction of Nordstream (I believe Truss gave the call on behalf of you yanks) it makes us look even more stupid. I've said, we haven't played very smart. The sanctions haven't worked, your bold bits just understate it. 

As for Jeremy Hunt I'm not denying the state of the UK economy and I'm not sure what it's got to do with my post, which was fairly simple to understand. 

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

You should really occasionally read the articles you link to, not just their (mis)interpretation on Twitter.

Like the one on negotiations.

And we have another one. The man who has been wrong about almost fuvking everything on this thread. Of course I've read the fucking article you two bob Captain Mainwaring cunt. You meanwhile were one of the ones denying talks at all.  The article before that I had to explain it to you in short because you couldn't open the link you numpty.  

I've said, we haven't played very smart. The sanctions haven't worked, your bold bits just understate it. 

The bold parts do not confirm them though they may be understated. That is why I asked if you had read it.

Please stop using "we" in this instance. Other G7 countries have not done similar and the state of the economy in the UK is very much to do with the UK.

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

And we have another one. The man who has been wrong about almost fuvking everything on this thread. Of course I've read the fucking article you two bob Captain Mainwaring cunt. You meanwhile were one of the ones denying talks at all. 

Talks were in the news. I don't believe the version they were about to solve all issues and reach peace but for the US / Boris Johnson to scupper everything, because... ah, whatever, what's the point. It's all in the article which you didn't read, you never read anything your post anyway and I really should know better than waste my time like this.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SasaS said:

Talks were in the news. I don't believe the version they were about to solve all issues and reach peace but for the US / Boris Johnson to scupper everything, because... ah, whatever, what's the point. It's all in the article which you didn't read, you never read anything your post anyway and I really should know better than waste my time like this.

Go fuck yourself. You asked me to explain an article you couldn't open only the other day. Prick. 

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Its Vision 2030 comrade

From the article you just defintiely read:

In spite of the sanctions, Russia remains one of world's largest oil exporter, and benefits from Saudi Arabia's last year's decision to cut down on crude oil exports. Until then, the kingdom was the world's first oil exporter.