You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

11 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Fella on the radio before was making the comparison with Iraq and the problems America had.

Yeah, it will be more like that and the previous Soviet invasion of Afghanistan than anything else.

I've been watching interviews with Ukrainians right the way across the country. All ages, male & female, they're talking about how they'll defend to the death. I guarantee there will be people hiding out in the forests with a rifle, shooting a Russian soldier or two before dying. WWII-style partisan warfare. It's going to go on and on for months.

Total tactical nightmare and could actually be so costly that it actually costs Russia much more than Putin has planned.

2 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Yeah, it will be more like that and the previous Soviet invasion of Afghanistan than anything else.

I've been watching interviews with Ukrainians right the way across the country. All ages, male & female, they're talking about how they'll defend to the death. I guarantee there will be people hiding out in the forests with a rifle, shooting a Russian soldier or two before dying. WWII-style partisan warfare. It's going to go on and on for months.

Total tactical nightmare and could actually be so costly that it actually costs Russia much more than Putin has planned.

They’ll fight like mad and will be incredibly brave but they have no chance.

10 minutes ago, M_B said:

Well yes that's true. If Putin doesn't get a puppet government in power quickly that Ukrainians accept then things will get messy for sure.

But consolodating your forces and choosing a place for it to fight is surely better than spreading yourself thin in an attempt to hold everything. Especially when Russia has a far bigger army. Better to hold Kiev and Odessa I would have thought, if that is your tactic.

The key thing for me is - will they fight or not. There are already videos from Sumy showing they hit some armour and then probably decided to withdraw. What we don't know is how many are actually fighting, will it be like 2014 all over again. My fear is, what happened was, they put up some resistance, then gave up because only a handful remained and the rest fled.

There are obviously more important positions to hold, but if you have to rely on you-know-who again, they are fucked. If they have a plan, yes. Fear is, this will only be repeated in Kiev, on a larger scale.

Also, what is shocking to me is that civilian authorities there seem to be horribly unprepared. Don't really get it. Strange country.

52 minutes ago, M_B said:

If you are surrounded then you are out of the war. You can't get resupplied, and you can't prevent the enemy moving elsewhere in the country. All the enemy has to do is use a light force to encircle you and make sure you dont break out.

The only cities that you commit to defending are the ones that are key to logistical support or are the seat of the government.

Armchair general tactics 101.

What the Russians did to the Germans in Stalingrade.

8 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Good of the Daily Express to calm people's nerves by not being over sensationalist, 

Are you in the green bit, red bit, grey bit, brown bit or orange bit? I’d hope you’re not on the pin bit otherwise it’s landing right on your noddle.

Apparently the Russian troops who have secured the power plant are all ones who have been recently court marshalled. It's one of the Russian military warnings that if you misbehave and we invade the Ukraine that we will send you where chernobyl fall off. 

7DuYhC.gif