You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

"Sweden has had more deaths than its smaller neighbours" isn't quite as big a gotcha as you may think. I think I'd focus on the fact they had fewer deaths per capita than the UK without the wholesale violation of human rights and concomitant destruction of the economy. 

14 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

"Sweden has had more deaths than its smaller neighbours" isn't quite as big a gotcha as you may think. I think I'd focus on the fact they had fewer deaths per capita than the UK without the wholesale violation of human rights and concomitant destruction of the economy. 

Equally, saying Sweden has done better than the UK isn't the gotcha you think it is. The UK's approach has been an utter disaster, with the worst of all possible outcomes. As for economic performance, last I saw Sweden had dropped a couple of percentage points of GDP less than the EU average. Big whoop, especially as it's forecast to be about the same as its immediate neighbours over the year.

You can see Sweden has got a higher rate per 100,000 than Germany or Poland in the last 14 days as well as some other European countries. Seems weird to just pick them out as an example, why not ask if Poland or Germany have achieved herd immunity? And if they haven’t, then why is their rate lower than Sweden?

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Economically Sweden is about as bad as Denmark and worse than Finland. 

7A728955-604E-426E-8EC9-FCECF289632A.png

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-infection-rate-tips-over-18943965

Liverpool's soaring Covid-19 infection rate has now tipped over the worrying threshold of 100 cases per 100,000 people and the city is now awaiting inevitable lockdown measures. 

Latest figures show that the rate per 100,000 is 106.4 - and in just one week (7-13 September) there were 530 positive cases.

Mayor Joe Anderson said he now fully expects new lockdown restrictions to be imposed on the city later this week.

He said he would not be surprised if the government brought in measures for Liverpool, the whole of Merseyside and perhaps the entire North West region.

Merseyside was placed on a government watch list last Friday, but cases have continued to surge, especially in Liverpool, Knowsley, Wirral and St Helens. 

The region is expecting to find out what action government will take next for the region, and an announcement is expected on Friday.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

It’s a fucking joke. My brother and his family live in Bolton. My sister-in-law is self-isolating because she’s a teaching assistant and one of the kids in her class tested positive, shutting the class down. She shares a house with my brother who works for the ambulance service, and my two nieces who are in two different schools - primary and secondary. And they wonder why it’s spreading.

And as if by magic my sister-in-law and both nieces are exhibiting COVID symptoms and very poorly. Really worried about the 12 year old as she’s asthmatic, frequently uses an inhaler and occasionally steroids. Tried to get a test in Bolton - none available there or anywhere else. None even available in the NW Ambulance Service where my brother works. Fortunately, her school have come through and should have a test for her tomorrow.

I understand that Johnson was saying that a you could get a test in Bolton town centre today - lying cunt.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

Now Johnson is saying that to attend events you will need a pass. 

Depending on what buffoon-ish idea he comes up with, I don’t necessarily disagree with this. 

It’s obvious the entire population can’t go about their daily business as usual for the foreseeable future. We need to rely on the healthy to not get sick and boost the economy again.

IMO, everybody should have to take mandatory tests every month or so and it should all be linked to this app they are eventually bringing out and to get into a shop, cinema, pub etc you need to pass an on the spot temperature check and show your clear pass on your app to door staff, otherwise you should be turned away.

The more companies adopt the above, the quicker the app gets up & running and the quicker the system works. 

Face masks inside should also be mandatory. No excuses & on the spot fines should be produced. Pisses me off walking round the shops and some prick isn’t wearing one. I’m wearing one to protect you, you should give me the same courtesy, you prick. 

13 minutes ago, Anubis said:

And as if by magic my sister-in-law and both nieces are exhibiting COVID symptoms and very poorly. Really worried about the 12 year old as she’s asthmatic, frequently uses an inhaler and occasionally steroids. Tried to get a test in Bolton - none available there or anywhere else. None even available in the NW Ambulance Service where my brother works. Fortunately, her school have come through and should have a test for her tomorrow.

I understand that Johnson was saying that a you could get a test in Bolton town centre today - lying cunt.

My daughter has to take hydrocortisone daily. Some steroids have been shown to

lessen symptoms, hydrocortisone being one of them.

Might we worth checking it out. 

• Upvote 1