You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

This could explain why the virus is fizzling out faster than an Ars*n*l title challenge.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-herd-immunity-second-wave-oxford-study-boris-johnson-a9623791.html

For a University that has such a high reputation, they really do pump out some ludicrous shite. So having never had it I may have developed immunity? 

What. 

The. 

Fuck. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

My Mrs is unwell and without going into detail I have to shield for a fortnight before her op with her. Needs must.

Hope all goes well, Mike. All the best. 

7 minutes ago, Mudface said:

The usual? Easing lockdown restrictions causes an increase in cases? Seems to be a common theme now in a number of countries.

The numbers throughout have been very strange compared to the Netherlands, especially with their stronger lockdown. It's odd. 

2 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

Because of saturation (or herd immunity if you prefer that term). 

There are less than 2000 people in hospital in England now. We are identifying loads of asymptomatic cases, that we previously wouldn't have identified. If you don't think this is fizzling out, you really haven't looked at the data. Is there still a risk to an 80 year old with hypertension? Yes. Is there a serious risk to your average 25 year old - no. Life always has risks, and in the UK Coronavirus for a healthy person is now a very small risk.

I'm off to Spain next week. My mate says that apart from some social distancing, life is pretty much back to normal over there, only you have to wear a mask in the supermarket & you can't sit at the bar.

I look forward to the posting time line of

this virus is nothing and it is fine to go to a bar in Spain

I socially distanced and had a belter,

the Spanish beers cause terrible hangovers,

I should have recovered by now, why am I having trouble with my breathing, 

16 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

For a University that has such a high reputation, they really do pump out some ludicrous shite. So having never had it I may have developed immunity? 

What. 

The. 

Fuck. 

It's a coronavirus and there are four others that do the rounds perpetually. Some talk of T cells being generated in response to these viruses meaning people may not get covid as bad if they've had one of the others.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Nah, I'm going for Occam's Razor on this one. We locked down, reduced cases and (belatedly) protected the more vulnerable. That seems to me to be a far more obvious reason for the reduction in hospitalisations and cases than the 'everyone's had it'/ 'most people are immune' stuff that's been floating around since it started.

As for data, the US has had nearly 3 times more infections per capita than the UK and is still setting record daily figures. There are around 1500-2000 hospitalisations a day there. Why isn't there a similar herd immunity effect there?

There may be, but only in states that had high level of infection in the past. The new numbers seem to come from parts of the country which have not reached any "saturation" level. New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts had less than 2000 cases between them yesterday, Florida, Texas and California about 35,000.

18 minutes ago, Welsh said:

Are Countries that are currently in winter such as Australia going to see less deaths and impact when it's summer there whilst we see the worse during our winter?

Some South American countries followed the winter pattern. On the other hand, there are Gulf countries where it does not seem to have a big impact. Or it may be that they spend more time indoors in the summer, due to heat.  India had a breakout in the summer too.

56 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's a coronavirus and there are four others that do the rounds perpetually. Some talk of T cells being generated in response to these viruses meaning people may not get covid as bad if they've had one of the others.

A common cold is a form to of Coronavirus but are they really suggesting that anyone who catches a common cold could be developing immunity? If that's true, does that mean the however many millions of people who have caught it have never had a common cold? 

It comes across as guess work and these kinds of studies that have the word 'may' in them should not be given the same platform as 'Oxford University scientists'. When the word 'may' becomes 'does' or 'will', then it is well worth adding to the public domain. 

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I look forward to the posting time line of

this virus is nothing and it is fine to go to a bar in Spain

I socially distanced and had a belter,

the Spanish beers cause terrible hangovers,

I should have recovered by now, why am I having trouble with my breathing, 

Well that's lovely. Thanks for that. You look forward to me not being able to breath. Fucking hell!

Just now, Fluter in Dakota said:

A common cold is a form to of Coronavirus but are they really suggesting that anyone who catches a common cold could be developing immunity? If that's true, does that mean the however many millions of people who have caught it have never had a common cold? 

It comes across as guess work and these kinds of studies that have the word 'may' in them should not be given the same platform as 'Oxford University scientists'. When the word 'may' becomes 'does' or 'will', then it is well worth adding to the public domain. 

I agree but same goes for most of the negative stories, of which there are considerably more, independent and gaudian etc have had us all dead and buried for months. 

2 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Unless the word 'may' is used in a context which suggest that Covid-19 thing is bad, in which case we should believe every word.

There are 4 conronavirus that cause common colds, then there are fuck loads of rhinovirus that also cause common cold. It's quite possible that some people never caught the specific strain that gives cross immunity.

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

Nah, I'm going for Occam's Razor on this one. We locked down, reduced cases and (belatedly) protected the more vulnerable. That seems to me to be a far more obvious reason for the reduction in hospitalisations and cases than the 'everyone's had it'/ 'most people are immune' stuff that's been floating around since it started.

As for data, the US has had nearly 3 times more infections per capita than the UK and is still setting record daily figures. There are around 1500-2000 hospitalisations a day there. Why isn't there a similar herd immunity effect there?

And how do you explain Sweden?

USA is testing more. I know a few people who almost definitely had it, but couldn't get a test. 

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Unless the word 'may' is used in a context which suggest that Covid-19 thing is bad, in which case we should believe every word.

There are 4 conronavirus that cause common colds, then there are fuck loads of rhinovirus that also cause common cold. It's quite possible that some people never caught the specific strain that gives cross immunity.

There's clearly something weird going on. I've never in my life heard of someone being asymptomatic with flu.

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Well that's lovely. Thanks for that. You look forward to me not being able to breath. Fucking hell!

Well, that's not quite what I wrote but if there is nothing to worry about - according to your reporting - then it simply is not something that is going to happen. Either there is something to worry about here or there isn't. 

If 'life is back to normal' in Spain then you have nothing whatsoever to worry about. Anything I or anyone else says is irrelevant to that fact. But if there is something to worry about then look out for yourself and stop posting that the problem is not as bad as it appears to be. 

There are lots of people who are working on the basis that life is back to normal. There are others that are not. That's everyone's personal right and I genuinely hope you enjoy your trip to Spain and there will no problems for you at all. No one should be experiencing the outcomes that comes with this virus but unfortunately lots of people are and I am certain there are plenty who thought it wouldn't happen to them. 

Like anything in life, of course there are risks as you rightly say. But most risks are mitigated by respecting that risk and acting accordingly. Drinking in a bar in a foreign country like it is normal is - in my opinion anyway - not respecting the risk. 

43 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

There are 4 coronavirus that cause common colds, then there are fuck loads of rhinovirus that also cause common cold. It's quite possible that some people never caught the specific strain that gives cross immunity.

One of which killed over 1 million people a century ago.

Doesn't seem to induce panic in people any more though. Imagine that.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

One of which killed over 1 million people a century ago.

Doesn't seem to induce panic in people any more though. Imagine that.

The century ago and advances in medicine might be a reason for that. Just throwing it out there. Might sound crazy like.