You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

La Liga Draft Group A

Bjornebye

La Liga - Best Side  

12 members have voted

1. 1. You Decide

OK then, I'll go ahead... 

Casting a critical eye:

Tony - good solid team overall. Great full backs. Never heard of the centre back. Ortega in a slightly strange position. Arconada suspect against quality opposition. 

John - again, good solid team overall. Midfield is nice. Attack feels slightly shoehorned. Obviously I don't know anything at all about Zarra apart from his Wiki page. If he was that good, I'd have expected to have heard of him tbh. 

Stig - Another good side. No positional concerns. The midfielders are both very defensive but I don't think it matters much with the excellent attack. The problem is the centre backs are poor, probably the weakest partnership in the draft, and one of the worst keepers as well. 

3 Stacks - I don't know what to think about this. For me, you should have picked a DM on your last pick, stuck Silva at the tip and played Stoichkov up front with Kempes,and you'd have been flying. As it is, it just doesn't feel right to me. 

Dynamite - no idea who the right back was until I googled him and the centre backs are a little weak. Overall though, I like this team, the midfield and attack especially. 

Not sure who to vote for, will mull it over. 

Still deciding

Tony

Only issue is Ortega position 

John

Lacks width

Xarra goals in weird WW2, just post WW2 era, lack of European pedigree as all the Europeans where busy 

Dim

Solid, unspectacular back 4

Can see plenty of strops as Cristiano Ronaldo tries to TM the name Ronaldo 

Stig

Let down by a relatively poor CB and GK combo

3 Stacks

Weird formation, just looks like he's shoehorned players into the tesm

Dynamite 

Don't remember the RB

But strong balanced side overall

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Still deciding

Tony

Only issue is Ortega position 

John

Lacks width

Xarra goals in weird WW2, just post WW2 era, lack of European pedigree as all the Europeans where busy 

Dim

Solid, unspectacular back 4

Can see plenty of strops as Cristiano Ronaldo tries to TM the name Ronaldo 

Stig

Let down by a relatively poor CB and GK combo

3 Stacks

Weird formation, just looks like he's shoehorned players into the tesm

Dynamite 

Don't remember the RB

But strong balanced side overall

Out of interest, mate, where would you play Ortega? He was primarily an attacking midfielder, so he’s not out of position in my opinion.

Will just explain my formation because it seems people think it's just random.

-Kempes is playing off a true striker who is tremendous in the air and he can play off him as a result. I was told he wasn't a lone striker, so I didn't make him a lone striker.

-City played 4-2-2-2 in 13-14 when they had one of the best attacking teams in Premier League history. Silva on the left and Touré in a box to box midfield two were both world class. Probably the best they've ever been.

-From what I've read, Stoichkov wasn't really a striker. He was a creative player who could score goals so putting him on the right of attacking midfield where he plays behind two forwards and can cut in and shoot makes sense

-Schuster scored loads of goals and at the same time it was said he could play deeper even as a libero. So a box to box role in a midfield 2 makes sense.

-Width is an issue with the formation but I have one of the best fullbacks of all time in Cafu to provide some

I don't see a better formation for the players I have. They're all playing in basically ideal roles.

Tony

Good selection of players but not sure about the formation. Ortega is out of position. Better options than Trezeguet and if he had picked say Leonardo over him and gone 4 3 3 with Ortega forth forward then he would be a contender for sure. 

John

As has been said, not many know a lot about Zarra. I've read up on him and am surprised I've never really paid any attention too him but I honestly can't say how good he would be in this. Puskas, Messi and M Laudrup is sex. Not a great defence. 

Dim

Great strip. The two Ronaldos is scary as fuck for any side. Not sure about Sosa. Good CB pairing. I know you said in the discussion thread that fabregas doesn't get as much credit as he deserves (And I agree to an extent) but you could have had a better pick there IMO. 

Stig

My attack is as good as any in the draft. If not the best. Two solid DM's who can play forward very well. Busquets is one of the most underrated players in world football over the last 10 years. Easily done given playing with Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and Suarez to be fair. Two brilliant full backs. My keeper isn't as bad as has been made out but he is one of the weakest in comparison to others. The CB partnership isn't bad. Otamendi hasn't played for City and Argentina by being shite. Ibanez was decent in his prime as well. Big tall bastard. 

3 Stacks

Victim of your set-up here because player by player you have some great picks. Keeps and Falcao are very similar forwards. if you had ditched one of them (Falcao IMO) and got a decent AM (Aimar) then you have a brilliant side. 

Dynamite

Love the middle 3. Henry was a fantastic player as well and him and Figo would have a field day running at defences. A good defence and a top keeper. Put Pires in over Claudio Lopez and you have a chance. 

I've gone for Dim and Dynamite. Tony just missing out. 

5 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Out of interest, mate, where would you play Ortega? He was primarily an attacking midfielder, so he’s not out of position in my opinion.

Behind the front two if anywhere but him and Ronaldinho behind 1 striker works. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Tony

Good selection of players but not sure about the formation. Ortega is out of position. Better options than Trezeguet and if he had picked say Leonardo over him and gone 4 3 3 with Ortega forth forward then he would be a contender for sure. 

John

As has been said, not many know a lot about Zarra. I've read up on him and am surprised I've never really paid any attention too him but I honestly can't say how good he would be in this. Puskas, Messi and M Laudrup is sex. Not a great defence. 

Dim

Great strip. The two Ronaldos is scary as fuck for any side. Not sure about Sosa. Good CB pairing. I know you said in the discussion thread that fabregas doesn't get as much credit as he deserves (And I agree to an extent) but you could have had a better pick there IMO. 

Stig

My attack is as good as any in the draft. If not the best. Two solid DM's who can play forward very well. Busquets is one of the most underrated players in world football over the last 10 years. Easily done given playing with Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and Suarez to be fair. Two brilliant full backs. My keeper isn't as bad as has been made out but he is one of the weakest in comparison to others. The CB partnership isn't bad. Otamendi hasn't played for City and Argentina by being shite. Ibanez was decent in his prime as well. Big tall bastard. 

3 Stacks

Victim of your set-up here because player by player you have some great picks. Keeps and Falcao are very similar forwards. if you had ditched one of them (Falcao IMO) and got a decent AM (Aimar) then you have a brilliant side. 

Dynamite

Love the middle 3. Henry was a fantastic player as well and him and Figo would have a field day running at defences. A good defence and a top keeper. Put Pires in over Claudio Lopez and you have a chance. 

I've gone for Dim and Dynamite. Tony just missing out. 

As I said above, I disagree that Ortega is out of position, as he was primarily an attacking midfielder. I’m more than happy with a Treseguet (excellent player) and Raúl (world class) partnership. All about opinions, I guess.

12 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

As a true number 10 behind two

Did you take him late? 

I rate Trezaguet, really good forward. 

Personally a Marcos Senna, Ruben Baraja pick would have fitted the team more. If you wanted a more attacking player then maybe Juan Carlos Valeron would have be been good or Carlos Valderrama 

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

As a true number 10 behind two

Did you take him late? 

I rate Trezaguet, really good forward. 

Personally a Marcos Senna, Ruben Baraja pick would have fitted the team more. If you wanted a more attacking player then maybe Juan Carlos Valeron would have be been good or Carlos Valderrama 

Yeah, he was one of my later picks, but I don’t think I’ve shoehorned him in. 

I considered Valderrama, but watched some videos of him to refresh my memory and found he wasn’t anywhere near as attacking a player as I remembered. In my opinion, Ortega is a much better fit for my team.

16 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Can we stop talking about how Tony is potentially misusing one player and talk about the fact that people think my whole team is terribly set up? Please and thank you.

It looks like a cock 

• Upvote 1

It’s all about opinions. For example, you could argue that Di Stefano isn’t being played in his best position. I showed my dad Lee’s team, as Di Stefano is one of his all-time favourite players. He thinks Di Stefano should be played as an out and out centre forward as apparently he did in 5 consecutive European Cup Finals.

Stoichkov was a second striker, similar to Beardsley. He could play wide or through the front. He often led the line for Bulgaria. You'd have got far more votes going

---------Schuster----Toure

Stoichkov---Kempes----Silva

-----------------Falcao