You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welsh in reserve team tonight

Original202

So therefore not likely to travel with the squad tomorrow night. Whats his form been like this season?

Looks like Mellor, Potter, Warnock and Whitbread will all play a part though. Sinama, Diao and Biscan all in contention as well.

Cisse, Hamann, Hyypia and Garcia are being rested and won't be travelling.

Team to play tomorrow?

Kirkland

Josemi Carra Traore Whitbread

Potter Diao Biscan Warnock

Mellor Sinama

Isn't Whitbread a centre-back? If so, I'd be tempted to play him there and leave Djimi at left back. The last thing we need is Traore's new found composure being destroyed by having to switch positions yet again. I'd also like to see Potter in his natural position in the centre of midfield next to Biscan. I wouldn't play Diao, as I think he's a liability. So, Kewell on the right? I know that immediately contradicts my point about playing people in their best positions, but I can't think who else could play right midfield. Finnan, maybe, but I want to see him establish himself at right-back where I see him as a far better option than Josemi from what I've seen of him so far.

Funny you mention Baros going in Jan, as I was thinking exactly the same thing earlier today. I think Rafa rates him, but he's nothing if not a pragmatist and I think he'll use Baros to raise funds for possibly both Mista and Morientes in Jan. He's already shown that he'll sacrifice players he rates in order to bring in cash for his priorities; Murphy's sale to Charlton being a case in point.

Baros' stock is still high after Euro 2004 and I could see Barca coming back in with a £10m-ish bid in Jan, with a little nudge from Rafa. That should be more than enough to sign Mista, who'd be a free six months later, and Morientes, who seems to be agitating for a move, having had enough of warming Real's bench after his taste of first team football last season.

Funny you mention Baros going in Jan, as I was thinking exactly the same thing earlier today. I think Rafa rates him, but he's nothing if not a pragmatist and I think he'll use Baros to raise funds for possibly both Mista and Morientes in Jan. He's already shown that he'll sacrifice players he rates in order to bring in cash for his priorities; Murphy's sale to Charlton being a case in point.

Baros' stock is still high after Euro 2004 and I could see Barca coming back in with a £10m-ish bid in Jan, with a little nudge from Rafa. That should be more than enough to sign Mista, who'd be a free six months later, and Morientes, who seems to be agitating for a move, having had enough of warming Real's bench after his taste of first team football last season.

If someone made a reasonable bid for Baros anything above 10m Euros i believe Rafa would take it.

However no club bid for him after his exploits of Euro 2004. Barca expressed an interest but bought Etoo. I cant see Barca coming back for him for no other reason than they dont need him and they spent a lot of money in the summer

It will be interesting if any club bid for him and if they do i am sure Baros will be off.

Surely Welsh deserves a chance ahead of Diao?

Welsh has been injuried, so that may be the reason he stays home...but according to http://www.liverpool.no he played a brilliant match despite missing a penalty in the 1-2 loss against Bolton yesterday. His performances have been improving a great deal, so im sure he will be given his chance if he continues to play to his standard!

I guess anyone deserves to be played ahead of Diao.

Welsh has been injuried, so that may be the reason he stays home...but according to http://www.liverpool.no he played a brilliant match despite missing a penalty in the 1-2 loss against Bolton yesterday. His performances have been improving a great deal, so im sure he will be given his chance if he continues to play to his standard!

I guess anyone deserves to be played ahead of Diao.

Welsh was absolutely gutted not to be in the squad. Last time that happened was for thr tour to North America in the summer, and his head went down for a long time.

I worried maybe the same would happen again, but Welshy was class last night. Great attitude, set a real captains example and it was cruel that it should be him who missed the pen.

Report from the game is here....

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/latest.html